We need help upgrading from the point-and-shoot

James86004

Expedition Leader
We have been getting some pretty awesome shots from our point-and-shoots for years, supplemented more recently by our smartphones. These photos have been used mainly for our blogs and sharing with friends and family, but occasionally for magazine articles. Most of these photos are of our Rovers and our daughter in various outdoor settings, ranging from the forest to Monument Valley. Quite a few are in low light conditions.

We have come to realize we have some limitations. Many shots which looked wonderful through our polarized sunglasses came out hazy. We are guessing polarizing filters would help. We have missed other shots because a grain of sand in the automatic lens cover prevented it from opening all the way, or even worse, gave us the dreaded "Lens Error" which requires us to reboot the camera by removing the batteries for a short period and trying again. We need something more robust.

Whatever we pick needs to fit in my wife's purse, and my wife's purse is definitely not big enough for a DSLR. Bonus points if the battery life is long or it uses something readily available, like AAs.

Any suggestions? Our budget is ~USD500.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I would have a serious look at FUJI's x10,20, 30 series cameras. I have the x10 and if you are not needing Super Zoom, Its an amazing camera. It has a better sensor than point and shoot cameras, a better build quality than most other cameras in the prosumer/enthusiast range as it's all metal, and another huge plus is the "Fuji" image quality. Photos from a Fuji cameras just pop right from the camera, less PP is needed with fujis. I owned Olympus ( comes close to Fuji), canon, sony and pentax. Canon had the worst image quality of the bunch followed by pentax and sony.

The Fuji is the best bet as far as I am concerned.

BillTex

Adventurer
Pani FZ200 or for a few more $'s Pani FZ1000.
Awesome lens and plenty of features.

Pretty much all the camera you will ever need unless you turn pro and want to carry a trunk full of lenses.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
There are so many choices that you can't go wrong with - people do seem to enjoy the Fuji's, as a Nikon shooter I am partial to the Nikon 1 series cameras, they have interchangeable lenses with great focusing that work well with polarizers, and you can use the amazing range of Nikon SLR lenses as well. Here's my little 3 lens setup - approximately 18-810mm in range, although these are the more premium versions of the 1 lenses and this pictured kit would run over $3k even though the camera is $200. Here you're paying for f1.2 apertures and ED glass and such. But you can get a nice little 2-3 lens kit including camera for under $300 used if you look around :

DSC_0935-X2.jpg

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
^ the standard issue VR 10-30 and 30-110 lenses are nearly weightless and are much better than they have any right to be for the money (usually just included with the kits).

Arclight

SAR guy
You might also want to look at Micro 4/3 format cameras from Olympus and Panasonic. There is a good selection of lenses for these (and they interchange between manufacturers) and these mirrorless cameras are small while having a lot of the features a "big DSLR" would have. You can get photos almost as good as a big setup and not have to carry very much.

I have this one:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5

Both manufacturers have several models that would probably fit whatever your budget is.

Arclight

kojackJKU

What I like about the x10/20/30 from Fuji is there are no extra lenses to carry, the photos from it are amazing needing less post processing, its small, and unassuming. Its built from all metal unlike most of these m4/3s and mirrorless compact slrs on the market and still has a fairly good zoom range. Unless your shooting sports, wildlife at long distances, etc, you would be well served with one of the fujis. I love mine. It complements my Fuji X-S1 prosumer long zoom camera perfectly. I bought my x10 for 199.00 at the source in Canada. A steal in my eyes.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
One way to look at it is do you want to buy a non-interchangeable lens camera, where it's generally more compact and lower cost, but the entire thing becomes obsolete (as digital cameras do, they're basically like computers). Think point and shoot or high end point 'n shoot like Fuji X10 or X100 or Sony RX-1 type camera.

Or do you want to buy an interchangeable lens setup, where you can invest mostly in the lenses and upgrade the body when the features and new sensor technology are so compelling that you can no longer resist - but you get to keep and use your existing glass. Fuji X-Pro, XE1, XE2, XT-1, Micro 4/3, Nikon 1 type cameras.

kojackJKU

I was thinking about the fit in the purse. At which point the x series would be great as it produces awesome photos in a compact solid built package. for swapping lenses I would pick the X-T1 hands down!

rocrunr

Adventurer
My opinion is cameras are like computers forever changing. If you buy into that they will keep you poor. A simply Nikon dlsr and kit lenses are a good starting point. As you learn to use it and your skills grow you can buy more lenses and gear. I'd dare say 90% of DLSR users never take them off auto focus. There is always lots of used lens and gear for sale as people upgrade . Good luck

kojackJKU

My opinion is cameras are like computers forever changing. If you buy into that they will keep you poor. A simply Nikon dlsr and kit lenses are a good starting point. As you learn to use it and your skills grow you can buy more lenses and gear. I'd dare say 90% of DLSR users never take them off auto focus. There is always lots of used lens and gear for sale as people upgrade . Good luck

The simple Nikon SLR and lenses are not what they are looking for. They are looking for compact, to be unassuming. Im sure more than 90 percent of people do not use manual focus. Are you maybe talking about AUTO mode on the Mode dial maybe? if so, then I agree with what your saying. If auto focus, I don't see the big deal. Auto focus is so good these days why would you NOT use it for 95 percent of your photos?

My cameras sit on program most times as I have my program setup for my shooting needs most of the time. If I want to do something different, like slow down water, or catch some action, I will switch to Manual to control shutter and apature settings. I have an expdisc for white balance. again, I set it in progam for most of my shooting conditions. But in something like a stadium or evening shots I will thread it on, and reset my white balance to compensate. In another mode of course to keep my program set. The great thing about my two cameras now, is they use the same sensor, processing engine and settings in menu so my x10 and x-s1 are both set the same, so unless you physically look in the metadata you cannot tell what camera the photos came from.

James86004

Expedition Leader
The simple Nikon SLR and lenses are not what they are looking for. They are looking for compact, to be unassuming. ... If I want to do something different, like slow down water, or catch some action, I will switch to Manual to control shutter and apature settings. I have an expdisc for white balance. again, I set it in progam for most of my shooting conditions. But in something like a stadium or evening shots I will thread it on, and reset my white balance to compensate. In another mode of course to keep my program set.
That pretty much sums up what we want. Years ago I used my Dad's Pentax Spotmatic and played with apeture and shutter speed as much as my budget allowed (film and developing was expensive for a broke college student).

Can anyone recommend a shop in Tucson where we can check out some of these recommendations in person? The big box stores here have a disappointing selection.

kojackJKU

That pretty much sums up what we want. Years ago I used my Dad's Pentax Spotmatic and played with apeture and shutter speed as much as my budget allowed (film and developing was expensive for a broke college student).

Can anyone recommend a shop in Tucson where we can check out some of these recommendations in person? The big box stores here have a disappointing selection.

I would look online for a Fuji x10 if you can find one new. The EXR mode is awesome for JPEG shoot. It probably produces the best JPEG photos from any camera in terms of pleasing vivid photos. The x30 was just released but Fuji has decided to axe the EXR mode. It handles like the x10 but is missing the EXR.

Again, this camerea is ALL METAL, and SOLID. very small, light and quite attractive. As long as your not looking for insane zoom ranges, it is probably the best advanced "point and shoot" (I use that term as you do not replace lenses, but is miles ahead of any P&S camera in the true sense of the word) available. It keeps amazing me every time I use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior