To LR4 from JKUR? Need advice...

LL247

Observer
OK, here's the short version. Have wanted a LR my whole life but remained a "jeep guy" owning 7 wranglers in my lifetime. Got bit by the overlanding and exploration bug, decided the JKU mud wagon wasn't me anymore and decided to trade it and my diesel truck for a good platform to build on. Wanted a rover in the worst way but the wife pushed me into another jeep, picked up a 15 JKUR and did some mild mods over the last couple months. Here I am, wondering if it's an insane move to trade a 3 month old jeep, take a depreciation hit, and pick up a lightly used LR4. I'm very big on "if youre making a payment, you should love it". I do like my JKUR, but now im seriously thinking about scratching any more mods...It was a $43k machine that doesn't feel like its worth the payment and im having an issue justifying that money for such a lack of comfort during the 95% on-road time. Add in that I'm not too old but have arthritis issues and would love a more comfortable machine as a daily driver and there you have it. Now to be clear, I've done a ton of homework on LR at this point. I understand possible quirks and keeping up on maintenance, I'm very handy and comfortable wrenching when neccessary. Would like some feedback, am I crazy for considering this?

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
List it and sell it. Then buy the LR4.

But before you do, go to drive the LR4. If you leave them the keys and papers on your JK, they are likely to let you keep it for a few hours to test drive it.
You'll know quickly if it is a better "fit" for you.
I have been through a similar experience having owned an AEV factory built truck. It was a fantastic truck, but it simply didn't have the same power, comfort, storage and people capacity of the LR3/4.

D

mtnbiker58

LR3

I have owned a jeep before and loved it. When I moved to Colorado in 09, I wanted something that was comfortable (cold weather pkg), plenty of room for storage, a tailgate which is awesome to have when camping and something with plenty of room to sleep in with the tailgate closed. Not to mentioned the power to get up the Rocky Mtns and the 6 speed auto which you can used to shift up or down. I have had my Rover for 7 years and the only problem was the E-brake going out which i knew about before buying. I have the 32 Goodyear Dura Tracs and I ride full time with the lifted Johnson Rods. I had a friend make a custom low roof rack and which I can carry 3 bikes. I used my Rover for it's intended purpose, to explore and go places where some jeep guys thought i was crazy. My Rover is an 06 with 65,000miles and just love the truck. I take it up to trail heads for 14,000ft summits (53 14,000ft peaks in Co) and spend the night in it before leaving for the summit. Just did a snow route on Mt Humboldt and was able to drive up to the summer trail head in the Rover. These trucks are amazing in the snow. The cold climate pkg is a must in any winter environment. Sleeping in the Rover is very comfortable and I made some window screens with magnets that attach to the outside of the Rover so I can sleep with both rear windows down in the summer. I can not say enough about the storage inside, I did not get the third row seat for the added storage space. I have fitted five bikes on my truck, 3 on top and two inside with room for all the extra bike gear. Hope this helps your decision, I know its a tough one. Jeeps are great vehicles and their are plenty of them out here. If you want a vehicle for the sole purpose of rock crawling, than I would go with the Jeep and 35inch tires and all the modes. For all the comfort on and off road, and being able to use a vehicle for all kinds of different adventures....LR3/LR4 hands down!

Dendy love the modes on your LR3....hope some day to catch up with you.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 8.43.56 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-03-07 at 8.43.56 AM.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Screen shot 2012-01-17 at 7.00.36 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-01-17 at 7.00.36 PM.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Screen Shot 2014-12-27 at 1.39.57 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-12-27 at 1.39.57 PM.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

Apdl

Observer
Financially its a poor move

I think you know that

You need to ask your self, is the LR4 worth the increase in price + the depreciation? I am guessing we are talking more than $10,000

Last edited:

medicfernando

Adventurer
I had a 2013 JKU Rubicon, FJ Cruiser and RRC. I now have a 2006 LR3, which I love. Compared with the JKUR, it is much more comfortable, powerful and overall a much better daily driver. It has much more cargo capacity and mine has the HD package with the locking rear diff so it is very capable off road. The JKUR was better off road when in very difficult terrain. The thing was unstoppable. I think the LR3 could go most places, limited by clearance. I really liked my JKUR but really LOVE my LR3. I guess I just bleed green.

LL247

Observer
Financially, terrible move...fortunately my wife and I live well below our means so money isn't as concerning as being happy. To further my reasoning, the wife and I are planning to move to New Hampshire in 5 years after the kids graduate. Because of property acquisition and building our dream home, we want to stick with our current vehicles for a minimum of 5 years. I keep doubting my wanting to drive this jeep that long. Plus I'm looking to use those years to build a solid overland vehicle, want to put my time & money in something I love. Well my buddy has a clean '12 LR4 on his lot, going to scope it out this week and take it for a ride. I sincerely appreciate the input guys!

zelatore

Explorer
I think everything's been pretty well covered here already. Financially it's not the best move of course - Jeeps have outstanding resale while Rovers...not so much. And the Rover will have a higher maintenance cost as well. Further, for the really technical stuff a Rubicon is simply going to go more places than an LR4. And when it comes to aftermarket there's simply no comparison, either in availability or price.

But on the positive, the LR is a much more civilized platform on the highway. It has far more cargo capacity, far more towing capacity, and is just flat out more comfortable and refined to drive. Even without the (somewhat rare) HD pkg rear locker, it's surprisingly capable and will give the Jeep a run for it's money in most situations. Heck, I'd even say it's better in slick stuff when the computers are at their best, like snow/ice covered roads.

Before you commit you'll of course want to spend some time behind the wheel which it sounds like you've got covered. It also sounds like you've done some research into Rover ownership and all that can entail, though to be honest it's not anything like it was with the earlier trucks - the LR3/4 platform has generally been pretty sound. But I would also recommend you look into the options available for building the truck out the way you want it. If you're coming from the Jeep world you may be shocked at the limited aftermarket for these things. Want a front bumper for your LR4? OK, you can chose from ARB and .... uh, that's about it in the US. Rear bumper with tire carrier? How are your welding skills? Because Kaymar was the only option and they've pulled out of the US. (there are more options for the LR3 than the LR4, and I know some companies are looking to adapt their LR3 products to the 4 since they are nearly the same) Compared to the Jeep world, it's enough to make a Rover owner cry in his beer!

BTW, I started out looking for a Jeep. I ended up with an LR3. I still like Jeeps, but I don't see myself buying one any time soon.

My truck is an '07 LR3 with all the OEM bells and whistles. I think I have literally every factory option except rear seat video screens....HSE, HD, LUX, etc. Mod-wise, I'm running an ARB front bumper, a home-built rear with jerry can and tire mounts, Tactical Rovers skids and sliders, Johnson Rods, 275/65-18 Duratracs, and a low profile Urban Offroad rack with a home-made axe and shovel mount. I've got about 115K on it now and knock on wood, it's been quite reliable. I did have to replace my compressor, but I could see it coming and probably could have gotten away with just doing a rebuild if I'd planed it right. It will never be a rock crawler, but I do plan to run the Rubicon in it possibly this coming year.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Mtnbiker and Zelstore, those are real beauties that you've built.

One thing no one mentioned about the LR3/4 is the tailgate. It's functionality is simply unparalleled. Absolutely brilliant. Then there is the steering radius, the high seating visibility, the magic heated windshield (cold weather package), the cavernous interior and svelte exterior, they are simply marvelously flexible machines. I truly doubt there is a more versatile vehicle on the road.

There is a bit of learning curve with one. You must know when to employ the appropriate mode, when to turn off DSC (just about always), how to maximize the traction controls effectiveness, and what the common issues are so you are prepared ahead of time (get the GAP tool). But otherwise, they are pretty normal machines, but with a degree of capability, comfort, and versatility that is hard to find anywhere else.

zelatore

Explorer
Turning radius --- I forgot about that. It'll amaze you how tight these things turn! It really helps on tight trails, and it also comes in handy down at the local mega-mall parking lot.
The tailgate is also very handy. It's my 'galley' when camping.
And the seating/visibility is hard to beat. I sort of take it for granted then I had a 4-runner rental a while back and realized just how good the Rover is.

Finlayforprez

Observer
I have a 2013 LR4 and echo a lot of the sentiments above, especially zelatore. I know zelatore personally, as we are in the same rover club, and I completely agree that with the LR3/LR4 you do have much more limited (and more expensive) options than with the Jeep. However, everyone has a modified Jeep. With the LR3/LR4, once you start modifying it, the rig becomes very special and pretty amazing. I will say certain things you do to it make it a bit less peppy (especially the LR3), but it's still amazing with a lot of heavy modifications. I considered a 2013 Jeep and 2013 Land Cruiser when I ordered my LR4, and I love them both, but man something special about the LR4.

I have posted this to another thread, but here are a few photos of my LR4. I actually bought the last Kaymar rear bumper in the states (the custom made tire swing away is almost done). Let me know if you have any specific questions, but between zelatore and myself (and others) we have explored many options for these rigs.

This vehicle is by no means a rock crawler but with a winch it can drag itself anywhere a jeep on 35 can go. I surprise the crap out of some jeep owners when I took the same trail they did on there Rubicon's. So underbody protection is a must, winch a good investment, rocksliders a must, GAP tool a must.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419822267284.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419822267284.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 63
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419822319119.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419822319119.jpg
    533.8 KB · Views: 59
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419822370655.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419822370655.jpg
    564.9 KB · Views: 61
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419822409049.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419822409049.jpg
    553.6 KB · Views: 64

LL247

Observer
So you guys tell me if you think this is a sign... Helped my younger brother move into his first house today. We get my trailer unloaded and I ask to check out the garage, looked interesting (detached and fairly large). He raises the door and on the right wall is a large flag hanging from the previous owner, a union jack. I stood staring for a moment, he asked if something was wrong. I said "No, but it's clear the universe is sending me a message. "

Finlayforprez

Observer
So you guys tell me if you think this is a sign... Helped my younger brother move into his first house today. We get my trailer unloaded and I ask to check out the garage, looked interesting (detached and fairly large). He raises the door and on the right wall is a large flag hanging from the previous owner, a union jack. I stood staring for a moment, he asked if something was wrong. I said "No, but it's clear the universe is sending me a message. "

Definitely! :) I can't wait to see your new LR4!!!! :iagree:

LL247

Observer
Definitely! :) I can't wait to see your new LR4!!!! :iagree:
Well I'll need to start the process of getting the wife on board. First I tell her what I want to do, then she blows up, finally she realizes I'm a good husband and it'll make me happy, then I get it. This process takes anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks. There is some potential for a faster move with my friend having the '12 LR4 on his lot, and it's white which is a bonus for me. Worst case scenario, I sell the wife on an LR3 and we cut my vehicle expense in half, then more funds for fun parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior