Toyo Open Country R/T

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
Is anyone on here running these yet? I like that they are another aggressive hybrid tire option. They are right up there in choice with the Cooper ST MAXX imo.

Currently, sizes are limited, but Toyo has stated that they will be releasing additional sizes in 2015. Toyo's are highly regarded tires IMO. Tough, durable, built to last, and relatively quiet and well balancing.

I've seen some reviews on other boards, but not much mention of them on here. Someone has to have these things by now!

Here's a few pictures for those of you who haven't seen em

Toyo-Open-Country-RT-Compare-7-21-14.jpg

Defcon Brix seems to have them, but haven't seen much feedback yet (likely because they are so new still?)

IMG_8094-crop.jpg

IMG_81403.jpg

another yota

f8c8000e22992644b2e5ff7556780238.jpg

And for some specs:
The Toyo R/T in 285/70/17 weighs 58lbs (E Rated) and measures (according to Toyo website) at 33" tall and 11.5" wide with a 16.4/32" tread depth (may be a typo on the site, the 18" and 20" versions all list 18.9 on the tread depth. i would find it odd for every tire except the 17 to have the same depth) when new with a 45,000 mile treadwear rating are 100% American made in Georgia with 3-ply construction.

Tread Depot price $317 per

In comparison, the Cooper ST MAXX in the same size according to the website measures out to 32.71 x 11.22 and weighs in at 60lbs. So those specs are all close to the same, I couldn't find a mileage rating, but best guess is 50k or so? The AT3 and other similar cooper tires are rated to 55k. The tread depth is 18.5 so thats quite the difference. It looks like the ST Maxx features additional siping as well.
Cooper has 3 ply ArmorTek carcasses (2 standard plys, and the 3rd runs at an 8degree angle, reducing rubber gaps)
Tread Depot price $241 per. That's a huge difference, and something I wasn't aware of when I initially started this post haha. That would make up my mind on its own right there.

The coops are also not only Made in the USA, they are headquartered here as well. So the profits of the company remain stateside. AFAIK Cooper and GY are the only ones still set up this way.

Some cooper st maxx pictures:
212376d1368545428-magnetic-gray-thread-photo-25-.jpg

desert+dawg-albums-my+2014+4runner+trail+edition-picture26115-2014-4runner-trail-edition-kdss-toytec-boss-3-inch-lift-lr-ucas-cooper-st-maxx-tires-fuel-off-road-boost-wheels-rigid-leds-more.jpg

well, I initially created this post to get some exposure and opinions on the new Toyo Tires out there (and I suppose the new Nitto Exo grapplers/the sister tire of the Toyo RT) but I may have swayed my own opinion in the process with the searching I was doing to provide comprehensive information.

uh6tdrvr

I have a set of St Maxx on my 09 silverado that I put on in 2012 and have about 45K on them without a corrected speedo (265 65 18 to the Maxx at 275 70@45psi) I have put these tires down Logging trails, Alabama creek bottoms, snow, sand ect. They just go. I know for sure I can get another 10K out of them, maybe 15K if I push it. I have rotated every 5K as I usually do all my tires. They will be replaced with the same tire I just haven't decided on the size yet since they came out with quite a few more now. Here is a video I found measuring the toughness of different plys and airing down. Without a doubt the best do it all tire I have ever had on a truck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kz8mmLkeks

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The Dodge shop I use has installed several sets of 35's on the big trucks. Owners formerly ran MT's. They report good handling and way less noise. Time will tell.

LuckyDan

Adventurer
If they will last longer than the MT's I've had, I'd certainly consider a set. Frankly I have had success with all the Toyo's I've used over the years including the MT. The only complaint I have is the MT's wore out quickly.

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
Id really like to try them. So much promise in them...I just dont know that I can talk myself into paying that much more for them

t-rex grrr

Adventurer
I have a set of St Maxx on my 09 silverado that I put on in 2012 and have about 45K on them without a corrected speedo (265 65 18 to the Maxx at 275 70@45psi) I have put these tires down Logging trails, Alabama creek bottoms, snow, sand ect. They just go. I know for sure I can get another 10K out of them, maybe 15K if I push it. I have rotated every 5K as I usually do all my tires. They will be replaced with the same tire I just haven't decided on the size yet since they came out with quite a few more now. Here is a video I found measuring the toughness of different plys and airing down. Without a doubt the best do it all tire I have ever had on a truck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Kz8mmLkeks

That's a great video, thanks for sharing.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Everything I've had from Toyo was a joy to ride on but wore out fast ----- I'd give these a shot if they come in 255/80-17 and were competitive in price with the ST-Maxx. If not, I have no complaints with my Coopers at all.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
If they will last longer than the MT's I've had, I'd certainly consider a set. Frankly I have had success with all the Toyo's I've used over the years including the MT. The only complaint I have is the MT's wore out quickly.
I had 11/32" on my Toyo MT's @ 19K when I sold them. Three rotations and rebalances. They were 285-75-17's on an 8600# truck and camper. I just couldn't handle the noise anymore. AT2's now.

DT75FLH

Adventurer
I also like how there an in between tire..like goodyear duratreks. I have had great luck with toyo tires but am upset that ALL the new AT2 tires only come with a 3195# rating in 34-35" size. My old at in 285 75 17 has a 3700# rating. I do not know what changed, but the AT2 is also 5-6 pounds lighter in weight so I believe that they redesigned something.

With my camper on my diesel...I have 6700# over the rear axle so I need the larger capacity....

on my work truck (f150) 4x4 I wanted to run the rt but at over$300. more for the set, I just put on the at2. we just had some snow and the AT2 worked great. I have had GREAT luck with toyo tires over the last 10 yrs or so that I have been running them. I just hope they come down in price.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I also like how there an in between tire..like goodyear duratreks. I have had great luck with toyo tires but am upset that ALL the new AT2 tires only come with a 3195# rating in 34-35" size. My old at in 285 75 17 has a 3700# rating. I do not know what changed, but the AT2 is also 5-6 pounds lighter in weight so I believe that they redesigned something.

With my camper on my diesel...I have 6700# over the rear axle so I need the larger capacity....

on my work truck (f150) 4x4 I wanted to run the rt but at over$300. more for the set, I just put on the at2. we just had some snow and the AT2 worked great. I have had GREAT luck with toyo tires over the last 10 yrs or so that I have been running them. I just hope they come down in price.
Good pt. My rear axle weight is only 4K#. I honestly can't feel the difference from awhile ago having the 3900# rated older AT's and my present tire. In your case,you could sure use a stronger tire.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have had great luck with toyo tires but am upset that ALL the new AT2 tires only come with a 3195# rating in 34-35" size. My old at in 285 75 17 has a 3700# rating. I do not know what changed, but the AT2 is also 5-6 pounds lighter in weight so I believe that they redesigned something.

With my camper on my diesel...I have 6700# over the rear axle so I need the larger capacity.....

The AT II in 285/75-18 (35-11.50 R18) is rated at 4080 lbs each. Not sure where you got your info, but it have them on my diesel. Love them!

hoser

Explorer
7 New sizes introduced.... not quite the size I was hoping for though.

LT265/75R16 (10-Ply, Load Range E)
37X12.50R17 (8-Ply, Load Range D)
37X13.50R17 (8-Ply, Load Range D)
35X13.50R20 (10-Ply, Load Range E)
37X13.50R20 (10-Ply, Load Range E)
35X12.50R22 (10-Ply, Load Range E)
37X12.50R22 (10-Ply, Load Range E)

soonenough

Explorer
7 New sizes introduced.... not quite the size I was hoping for though.

LT265/75R16 (10-Ply, Load Range E)
37X12.50R17 (8-Ply, Load Range D)
37X13.50R17 (8-Ply, Load Range D)
35X13.50R20 (10-Ply, Load Range E)
37X13.50R20 (10-Ply, Load Range E)
35X12.50R22 (10-Ply, Load Range E)
37X12.50R22 (10-Ply, Load Range E)
Where are you getting this info? I was just looking yesterday to find out if they've announced anything about 16" sizes in the R/T and saw nothing mentioned on their website. This is encouraging news, but I was hoping for more 16" sizes...I figured they would at least release 285/75, and with any luck a 255/85.

In other news, I never knew until I looked yesterday that Discount Tire does not sell Toyo tires. That is extremely disappointing because I prefer to buy all of my tires from them.

EDIT: just now looked on their website, and maybe they just updated it last night because the 265/75/16 is now listed. Or maybe the mobile version of the site isn't showing the same info since I was using my phone when I was looking for 16" sizes yesterday.

Last edited:

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
TREADDEPOT.COM seems to have the cheapest offering of toyo tires I've found. I started this thread with the intention of these tires or ST MAXX, ended up buying a set of Toyo AT2 the other day. Just got them installed today. 295/75/16 for 809 shipped. Walmart installed them for 32 bucks. Screaming deal if you ask me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior