Beginnings, new truck and soon to be new camper

mlcamera

I've been lurking for some time on the Expedition Portal as part of my research for the plans my wife and I have been working on. Here's a link to a blog I've started: http://nomadicyearning.blogspot.com/. Please enjoy my first blog post if you are so inclined. I looking forward to posting more as we pick up our camper this spring and begin some new adventures. Of course I'm always open to feedback, questions, etc....

poriggity

Explorer
Ok.. here's some feedback.. i hate it when people use forums to pimp thier own personal blogs, and have no desire to be a part of the forum community. It's not just here that I see this happening, and while you may be a cool guy in person, posts like this automatically put a sour taste in mouth towards you, as it seems all you are here to do is to promote your site, and not join this community. How's that for feedback?

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Ok.. here's some feedback.. i hate it when people use forums to pimp thier own personal blogs, and have no desire to be a part of the forum community. It's not just here that I see this happening, and while you may be a cool guy in person, posts like this automatically put a sour taste in mouth towards you, as it seems all you are here to do is to promote your site, and not join this community. How's that for feedback?

x2 I agree 100%. I won't even click on a trip report when the poster just links it to their own website or blog. Either be part of the community or not at all

Darwin

Explorer
Agreed with what has been said above. Out of curiosity, do people get any royalties or money with having a blog? Is that why many post links to their blogs on this forum never to add anything to expo community?

poriggity

Explorer
Most people with blogs that see any traffic will make money through advertising on the site, so they will plaster links to their sites all over the internet in hopes to bring more traffic to their site.

Scott

mlcamera

Thanks for the feedback. Understanding how people feel is good. Keep in mind this was my first post. I'm not here just to "pimp" my own blog.

And by the way porgitty I've read some of your posts and I like your truck!

Last edited:

mlcamera

Most people with blogs that see any traffic will make money through advertising on the site, so they will plaster links to their sites all over the internet in hopes to bring more traffic to their site.

Scott

It may happen but I don't know anybody on the blogs I follow that is making any money blogging. I don't intend to.

mlcamera

Feedback Noted!

Thanks to all for the feedback! BTW my blog has gotten 59 pageviews today and 10 of those views came from this forum. I can understand the feedback about being a full participant in this forum rather than just posting links so a blog. I have no problem with that. To that end here's the full text of the blog entry. Enjoy!

The past year has been a time of planning and transition for us. A component of this transition was our decision to purchase a truck camper. We're doing this to be able to realize our travel dreams to find, explore and immerse ourselves in those places of solitude we enjoy so much.

After much research we developed a pretty solid idea of what we wanted. In a nutshell, we want enough for our needs but no more. That led us to decide on a popup truck camper. We also decided to limit ourselves to a short-bed 3/4 ton truck which in turn kept us from having too much camper. On August 30th. we were "just looking" and found the perfect truck. We purchased a 2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn, mega-cab, short-bed, 4x4 with a 6.4 Hemi gas engine. My wife christened him "The Boss" because he's "large and in charge". He's perhaps not the biggest truck around but he is a big truck for sure!

Note: Photo of the truck goes here but I'll need to figure out the uploading scheme. However its the same photo that's on my profile.

Our research made Hallmark our top choice for a truck camper. We saw Hallmark at the Overland Expo in Flagstaff, AZ this year and were very impressed by both their campers and the Ward family. Our research was confirmed.

Recently we left home in The Boss bound for the Hallmark factory in Ft. Lupton, Colorado. We spent 5 hours with Bill Ward touring the factory and explaining our desires. Bill was great to work with. Of course his knowledge and experience were impressive and helpful. We left Hallmark after placing an order for a K2 model equipped exactly like we want.

Now we look forward to picking up our truck camper, finding new places of solitude and making new memories.

mlcamera

Larry, I appreciate your feedback. I've read your trip reports and am very impressed with your rig and your travels. I've learned from reading about both. Thanks!

Looking forward to see how things progress for you. Have made almost identical moves, although I went with the Ford F350. Shortbox too but only a SuperCab, not the full crew cab. We are set to pick up our Hallmark K2 at the end of January. All in all, it was the best mix of utility, weight, size and comfort for us. Working with the Wards made the decision easy (not so much on the pocket book though...)

mlcamera

Looking forward to see how things progress for you. Have made almost identical moves, although I went with the Ford F350. Shortbox too but only a SuperCab, not the full crew cab. We are set to pick up our Hallmark K2 at the end of January. All in all, it was the best mix of utility, weight, size and comfort for us. Working with the Wards made the decision easy (not so much on the pocket book though...)

Thanks, me you too! We'll be picking up our K2 in early March. Yeah, hard on the pocketbook but I don't mind paying for good stuff. Seems a better value in the long run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94