My First Build: 1996 E350 7.3 Quigley

Frohagen

I started this thread the other day on the domestic section of this forum. It is my first time posting, so I was unaware a camper van section existed. Anyways, after always wanting a 4x4 camper van, I decided to find my own. After several months of searching and a couple near misses, I scored a 1996 Ford E350 7.3 diesel with the Quigley 4x4 conversion. The vehicle was an ex bomb squad vehicle and needed a little TLC. Fortunately for me, it was a perfect starting point for my build. I hope to turn it into a clean Baja cruiser.

image.jpg

Frohagen

The van had sat, so the first order of business was addressing some of the surface rust on the frame. A lot of hours, Scotch-Brite, and rust prevention got the underneath looking good again.

image.jpg

Frohagen

The van got some new shoes the other day. I wanted it to look more proportional, so 315 BFG ATs and 17" ProComp Xtreme Alloys were put on.

image.jpg

Frohagen

I have been very fortunate to have Nexus Metalwerx working on the fabrication part of my build. The owner Matt and his employee Josh have done some beautiful work on my van. Recently, the front bumper was completed and I could not be happier with the outcome. I was looking for something subtle, but beefy and a little different than the ARB style bumpers.

image.jpg

Frohagen

Nexus Metalwerx also did a custom rear bumper and tire carrier for my build. Again, I was super impressed with the results. Really liked the attention to detail and use of heim joints over washers. Everything will be getting powder-coated, so I'll be sure to update pics.

image.jpg

goodwaves

Adventurer
sweet looking van, really liking those bumpers! Nice wheel/tire combo as well.
looking forward to the rest of this build.

dcguillory

Adventurer
Bumper looks great although it is hard to believe it wont warp with all that weight hanging on a single post when it swings out. Seems like a stout post though . . . . .

Frohagen

Bumper looks great although it is hard to believe it wont warp with all that weight hanging on a single post when it swings out. Seems like a stout post though . . . . .

Thanks! I'm pretty confident the steel post will hold up just fine, but time will tell.

Frohagen

For the interior, the vision was to have two bunks secured against the wall that fold down to make a sleeping platform. In front of that area will be a cabinet of sorts. Here are a couple pics of the platform so far.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Frohagen

Been a while since I last updated. Powdercoated front bumper, rear bumper, and some interior components. Also added some tabs to the front bumper and a 42" led light bar.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Bronco bobby

Observer
Really like the spare tire mount. The heim joints will allow you to adjust it if it does sag a little. Any updates on the interior bed area?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles