Asus tablet for GPS?

wmagill

i would suggest finding a good kit-kat or lollipop based. Newer hardware also look into refurb to drop price.

plh

Explorer
I have this HTC EVO version - Sprint branded but I've never hooked it up to 4G or been on contract with Sprint, its older, I've had it for at least a couple years, but works great with Google maps and Backcountry Nav tethered to my phone. Built in GPS, WIFi, Bluetooth etc. Can probably find on Fleebay cheap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Flyer

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Look for a first gen Nexus 7 tablet. Works great. I am running an Asus vivotab RT on windows 8.1. the mapping program is awesome, the only app im missing right now is torque pro. I am in the process of getting them to get it up and running for windows machines.

plh

Explorer
good to know... found a few pretty cheap...

Thoughts on this? http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Excit...F8&qid=1419798136&sr=8-30&keywords=htc+tablet
seems like a decent all around unit with KitKat

I don't see that it has a built in GPS although it might. Also 8GB is pretty light on storage, will need to rely on the expansion slot.

edit:

It does have a GPS, single front non auto focus 0.3mp camera. Probably not a bad deal if you can live with running off the expansion slot and a poor camera.

ww.phonearena.com/phones/Toshiba-Excite-Go_id8685

Last edited:

Texan1983

Adventurer
yea, really don't care about the camera... probably will never use it...

I want to mount it in the truck and basically leave it there.

So it has GPS built in, but is it still better to buy a receiver to improve signal and accuracy?

running topo maps off the expansion slot shouldn't be a problem should it?

Thanks for the help!

plh

Explorer
yea, really don't care about the camera... probably will never use it...

I want to mount it in the truck and basically leave it there.

So it has GPS built in, but is it still better to buy a receiver to improve signal and accuracy?

running topo maps off the expansion slot shouldn't be a problem should it?

Thanks for the help!

I have not tried a USB or BT GPS with my tablet. The built in GPS in my HTC is as good as my phone (Samsung S4) for whatever that is worth. I run BCN maps off my 32GB card, so no issue.

I'd give it a try without an external GPS and see what you think.

Biggest issue I have is in many areas off the beaten path there isn't cell (AT&T) coverage so google maps doesn't always work as I rely on my mobile for its WiFi hotspot. With a dedicated GPS Unit there wouldn't be this issue - or if I planned in advance and grabbed map data for my SD.

Texan1983

Adventurer
anyone see a reason to not buy the asus me170cx? the only thing I see wrong it that it runs android 4.3 jellybean but says its upgradable to 4.4 kitkat. it's 86 dollars versus the 135 for the asus me176cx...

thoughts? kinda need to get one bought soon so I can get it set up and going in the truck for a trip in march.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier