Mercedes VARIO 614D 4X4 in RUSSIA

Mutumbo

Observer
This is an amazing truck! It's a little off topic, but I've been looking for options to turn my vario either into 4x4, or at the very least a rear axle diff lock. The problem is, I live in the UK so no GAZ 66 trucks here Any UK folks on this forum who can think of/recommend a suitable 4x4 donor vehicle? No problem fabricating to fit, just need one with similar track width, and that I could get a bell housing to fit the gearbox/transfer case to the 904.

For a difflock axle I've been looking at the Iveco eurocargos, not sure what I'd need to do to get it to fit tough, or if track width is the same.

I think the easiest way to find Axis Unimog, or other commercial vehicles. My dream is to find a automatic transmission for my VARIO, and torch device for cold start.

Anton2k3

Adventurer
unimog axles never some up for sale, or the gearbox/transfer boxes. Wouldn't recommend the GAZ setup? Auto transmissions are very common aren't they, from the bus versions? Lots in the UK.

Nick thanks for the link, emailed him.

Mutumbo

Observer
unimog axles never some up for sale, or the gearbox/transfer boxes. Wouldn't recommend the GAZ setup? Auto transmissions are very common aren't they, from the bus versions? Lots in the UK.

Nick thanks for the link, emailed him.

The problem is that the standard ratio axle gaz 66 = 6.83 which is two times lower than the 3.73 vario. I ordered the factory GAZ gear axle to fit me ratio 4.55, to leave the factory lock need to sharpen the differential housing

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Ah, thats a stopper then. I won't be able to get parts for GAZ here in the UK, and not clear on the modifications which would be required. Ugh, back to the drawing board then. If only 4x4 varios came up cheap!

Mutumbo

Observer
I got all the modifications in ~4000 $ at the current rate, if the last year of the ~8000 $ including axles, transfer case, tires, wheels, work, etc.

Jason911

Adventurer
I was always fascinated by the Russians way of ingenuity to solve mechanical problems. That being said, I question the safety of stacking plate steel beneath the springs in order to gain the correct amount of lift for tire fitment?

Mutumbo

Observer
I was always fascinated by the Russians way of ingenuity to solve mechanical problems. That being said, I question the safety of stacking plate steel beneath the springs in order to gain the correct amount of lift for tire fitment?

And which way do you see the solution? It was a quick decision with which I travel for a year, there is a serious problem of front axle during braking and driving over bumps has an S twist, afraid that will break springs, leaf springs need to add or added traction bar.

Anton2k3

Adventurer
wonder if its easy to change the ratios and get hold of the diff parts. The GVW of the axles if probable very conservative anyway so doubt it would be a problem. Hmmmm...

Thanks for the link!

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Well, i message them, its the chassis only. Very misleading auction, but his reply to my query was this:

'think you have your wires clowned'

Nice chap. I asked about the axles, £1000 each. Not sure how much he wants for the gearbox and transfer box, but I think it is he who 'has his wires clowned'.

This is the eurocargo axle I found with a diff lock (allegedly) fitted: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IVECO-75E...332439?hash=item3d09421b97:g:fmsAAOSw3xJVXJMm

Not sure what to make of the gear ratio, is that close to OEM vario spec?

Last edited:

LukeH

Adventurer
This is an amazing truck! It's a little off topic, but I've been looking for options to turn my vario either into 4x4, or at the very least a rear axle diff lock. The problem is, I live in the UK so no GAZ 66 trucks here Any UK folks on this forum who can think of/recommend a suitable 4x4 donor vehicle? No problem fabricating to fit, just need one with similar track width, and that I could get a bell housing to fit the gearbox/transfer case to the 904.

For a difflock axle I've been looking at the Iveco eurocargos, not sure what I'd need to do to get it to fit tough, or if track width is the same.

Bit of a thread hijack but I've been looking very closely at this.
Very closely indeed. 2wd Vario conversion to 4x4

TRM2000
https://www.google.fr/search?q=TRM2...ved=0ahUKEwjc_pLs68nJAhXHvRoKHQgkApUQ_AUIBigB

They are great little beasties but hopeless for XVs because they're stupidly short.
They have utterly indestructible and lockable ROCKWELL PORTAL AXLES! They sit on 12.5 R20, a very commonly available size. Single rear wheels too. The transfer case is just as tough (can't remember who makes it though)
140hp like the Vario, 8 tonnes MGVW like the Vario.
Portals mean you don't have to have that huge stack of shims under the leaves; which also means the universal joints have less angle and therefore longer life.
Axles can be had under 1000 EUROS a piece; I'm genuinely looking into buying a stock of them because they're amazing (and because the Vario is the ideal size XV, it just needs proper tyres)

Cons:
7.62 total reduction and the crown wheel is already tight on the diff housing so no chance of changing it.
It's on drums, but that's just another conversion kit I must develop :)

So the conversion needs an overdrive. I'm looking into changing the "high" ratio in the TC into an overdrive; have to do some sums with gearbox ratios as the TRM has a 5th gear of 2:1 where the Vario is 0.75:1.

Sorry about the hijack, if the OP would like to, admon can turn this into a new thread

Anton2k3

Adventurer
LukeH, very interesting! How much does a used TRM 2000 typically go for? Struggling to find any for sale in the UK, but guess would be easy to collect one from France.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier