Ford E-series HID

dcullen

Observer
Hello,
I recently purchased a 2006 Ford E350 extended 4x4 Quigley with a 6.0L powerstroke.

I have done as much reading on here and over at the sportsmobile forum as I can, but can't seem to find a good kit or list of components to order together for fitting HID lights to my van.
Right now the headlights look like this:
2005_ford_econoline-cargo_cargo-van_e-350-super-duty_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

I would like to go to the other style offered during the same years:
qu27872_800.jpg

The headlights right now are borderline dangerous. Very little light, and I do a lot of driving at night in the mountains of colorado going snowmobiling and dirtbiking.
Acquiring the housing from ebay or the junk yard is easy (unless the specific housing makes a difference), but I want to find a solid plug an play harness for the HID kit. A friend that installed HID's on his FJ60 recommended that I get and HID kit that did both "High" and "Low" beam output, but I can't seem to find a setup like this for these vans.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
-Dan

dcguillory

Adventurer
xtralights.com/ is one option.

I have used one of their kits for a dodge caravan and it worked/fit well.

Around $250 for base upgrade lowbeam only or about $700 for top of the line

mikracer

Adventurer
To properly install HID's you would want do have them in a projector housing. HID's that are not in projectors throw a lot of scattered light which is why they "blind" on coming traffic. You'll also get hot spots on the road instead of a nice broad beam pattern.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Trucklite led, I plan on those when $ http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&productId=92027

2.8rsr

Trucklite 5x7 LED Headlights

I bought a pair of the Trucklite LED's for my truck for Christmas and they are a definite upgrade over the stock lights while retaining DOT compliance.

Took 10 minutes to install them, as they are plug and play, and drove from the SF bay area to Phoenix at night last week and loved the difference.
They do have a pair of hot spots right in the center but the rest of pattern is pretty well even. You only really notice the hot spots when you're up close to something. You really notice the difference when you're out on the highway without any other lights around and you can see the lights off the road reflectors 800 yards or more ahead of you.

Look up the online jeep reviews for them to see what the hot spots look like.

I bought them here for $350 for the pair.

http://www.drivetrainamerica.com/p-...ed-5x7-gm-ford-van-jeep-xj-yj-headlights.aspx

CodyY

Explorer
The composite lamps are a direct swap but you'll have to change the grill too. Rockauto.com is a good source for all those components.

However, a well-aimed, quality brand 20" light bar will also make a huge difference.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I've got the same stock lights... useless on rural highways at night.
I just installed a set of Hella 550 driving lights. The improvement is awesome, no comparison, at 50m its like there were no lights on, and you've just turned on the headlights.
Crestline Ambulances, like mine, came with driving lights wired to come on with the high beams. Replacing the missing driving lights was well worth the $150. I may someday wire a set of fog lights to come on with the low & high beams... to complete the setup (since a PO drilled extra holes in the bumper).

2.8rsr

2.8rsr, would you spend that amount again for the lights?

I would buy them again. Compared to the alternatives like the JW Speakers which were super pricy and the ebay housings with upgraded HID internals, this was the least time consuming and IMO a reasonable price. I've had factory HID projectors on my Subaru and Honda Odyssey and while on the Trucklite's, the cutoff may not be as clean or hot spot free as projectors it is a great upgrade from stock for driving on dark roads. Would a light bar or floods be better, yes, but Trucklite's are a stock plug and play upgrade that won't take up a day installing (3 kids under 6, I don't have that kind of time......).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier