Wanting a 100 series and found a LX470

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
So our family has been looking for a 100 series to add as our family adventure rig. I was looking to spend around 15k and hoping to find one with semi low miles (100 -150k). I quickly learned the pickings were slim. I have my eye on a 100 series in CO but it may be sold, someone beat me to it. I did manage to find a LX470 near by that meets my needs and already has a few extras I would have added myself. I guess my question is... Aside from some slight body differences, is the LX much different? Does most of the aftermarket stuff for a 100 work? I read the info on Slee but did not seem to note any major differences. Any info would be great before I jump on the LX.

Thanks

digitalferg

Adventurer
They are nearly the same truck. Another difference is the front grille area is attached to the hood on the LX and not on the 100 (at least on the earlier years anyway). Some slight interior differences (radio and hvac control area). I went through the same thing when I was 100 shopping and ended up in an LX470. I've bought handfuls of OEM parts for it and several times just spaced it and bought parts for the 100 and I've never had a problem. I've now gotten in the habbit of verifying what I get fits both the 100 and my LX.

Only thing I'd say might be a factor is if you plan on altering the suspension....if so, you may want to stay away from the both the LX and 100 that have the AHC (Auto Height Control) suspension. They are an absolute PITA to remove and takes about 8 hours for a trained pro to completely remove it all. I would say not a deal killer if the one you want has AHC, but it could be a factor.

One cool thing I've noticed on my 2000 LX vs a 2000 100 is I have auto down and up on all 4 door Windows and the 100 does not.

All that being said, I love the LX as its still a Cruiser through and through, but I still would rather have had the Land Cruiser badging.

FWIW, there were some absolutely fantastic deals on some 100s for sale in the past couple months....I'll try to find them but if you check on the Cruiser Outfitters Facebook page, I know they were reposted there for sure.

Last edited:

Bretthn

Explorer
I wanted a Land Cruiser and ended up getting and LX. I love it and have not once looked back. I'm very happy with the AHC but if I ever change it out, I don't see it being any more of an issue than standard suspension would be. More time consuming yes but not much more issue. I could see if you had to pay a shop to do it and your intentions are to get rid of AHC immediately then yes, I would try to avoid.

Good luck. You will love either one.

texascrane

Adventurer
Only thing I'd say might be a factor is if you plan on altering the suspension....if so, you may want to stay away from the both the LX and 100 that have the AHC (Auto Height Control) suspension. They are an absolute PITA to remove and takes about 8 hours for a trained pro to completely remove it all.

It should be 8 hours of labor to remove the AHC and install a suspension compared to 4 hours to install a suspension in a non-AHC vehicle. So the difference really shouldn't be more than about $400. If everything else about the vehicle works for you, then I personally wouldn't let an extra $400 (or an extra Saturday afternoon if I was doing it myself) turn me off the vehicle. My personal experience is that it's easier to find clean LXs that have been well maintained and haven't seen dirt before.

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
The LX is 98 with 140k miles seems very clean. Car fax shows no accidents or issues, but five owners? Then again it is 16 years old. I got the VIN and called the service department at my local Lexus dealer. They were super helpful and emailed me the service history. Looks like all of the service was done at the dealership up to 98k then nothing after that. Aside from small maintenance they had the 60 and 80 thousand mile services done to it. Not sure what those include?

Bretthn

Explorer
After posting that link you may want to hurry and make your decision. That thing looks clean. Check the service history and make sure there have been no major accidents. If the frame looks clean I would jump on that deal. At 158K miles it should ride like new. Just make sure it wasn't beat on by the previous owner since they seem to have been an offroad enthusiast.

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
I put a deposit on it to hold it lol. The dealership has 3 negative reviews I could find on the Internet but no other questionable issues. I think I am going to pay for a car fax too

hoser

Explorer
That particular color had a higher incidence of paint problems. Pictures might not reveal it. Some were repainted by Lexus.

expeditionist

Observer
Funny reading this thread. I did the same thing in my search for a 100 series. Ended up buying an LX because I found one with low milage and for a good price. I would still rather have the LC (no cladding, basic climate controls, less woodgrain trim, etc). That said, I'm happy with my purchase and once the AHC has been replaced with a standard lift, I don't see why it matters which one you drive.

Bretthn is right. You have to move on these things when the good deals pop up. It took me 6 months to find a clean low milage one in Colorado and I jumped on it. There were people lined up behind me to buy if the deal fell. Fortunately it all worked out. Good luck!

SmoothLC

Explorer
Looks like a good looking vehicle. Definitely looks like it's ready for offroad, but can't tell how much it's been used by those images.

Since it's located in Houston are you going to have someone look at it for you? Might be a good idea if you can arrange something.

Slee's 100 Series Newbie Guide is a good resource to check out too.

RobRed

Explorer
If you want to know the differences between LC and LX the Model Year Differences Guide I created may help you.

http://forum.tlcfaq.com/viewforum.php?f=51

From the pics this thing looks great but as I found out from recently looking at a 2006 "Excellent Condition" in California it came with New Jersey rust. So you've got to inspect or have some one inspect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior