AWD , front diffrential

BigDan

Observer
Planning to buy & build up an AWD Express/Savana van,bus,cube, preferably a 2500 .....

Did a search and found that the front differential has only 7.5" ring gear.......

1) anyone had problem with the AWD front diff ?

I plan to put bigger tires , I`m scared that the diff wont hold up !

2) a front 4x4 pick up front diff should be 8.5" .....Wonder if the center section fits in place .....

thanks

Dan ,

1stDeuce

Explorer
At least after 2009, the factory AWD vans are all half ton running gear (six lug hubs) and 1500 and 2500 versions share all components other than the rear springs. I've heard rumors that there were a few 2500 8-lug AWD vans built in the early to mid-2000's, but I've not seen any actual evidence, and I worked for the company that did ABS on those vans from 2003-2010, so I kinda doubt it, as we'd have had to do a lot of tuning. Quigly did some fairly factory looking conversions to the 8-lug 2500 vans of that generation using parts from the HD series trucks mostly, and I think that's why people think it's factory. The shop next door has three, so I'll check one to see they're using the 7.25 or 8.25 diff.

On the 2009+ AWD's, the factory t-case is non-locking, and only sends about 30% of available torque to the front axle, so it would be fairly difficult to break even a 7.25" front diff, which I do believe is what they have. (The half shafts are pretty tiny...) On top of that is the 3.42 gearing and open front diff, and you'd have a very hard time breaking anything. :)

If you swapped to a standard t-case, you could probably come up with a way to over-torque the front diff by having good traction on the front and none at the rear, but if you were mindful of this, it would be fairly easy to drive a little more carefully. With the factory t-case, there is no worry.

Chris

simple

Adventurer
Are you going to buy an AWD van and swap the body? There was a factory 2002 AWD 2500 recently for sale around here but I don't know if it was an 8 lug.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Planning to buy & build up an AWD Express/Savana van,bus,cube, preferably a 2500 .....

AWD 2500's are a pretty rare find I believe they were only offered for one year 2003.
Simple is saying there is a 2002 2500 for sale near him, but 2002 was the previous body (front end change). I don't believe any of the 2002 or earlier vans were available with AWD. So I would guess the seller has their model year wrong.

simple

Adventurer
AWD 2500's are a pretty rare find I believe they were only offered for one year 2003.
Simple is saying there is a 2002 2500 for sale near him, but 2002 was the previous body (front end change). I don't believe any of the 2002 or earlier vans were available with AWD. So I would guess the seller has their model year wrong.

It's possible that it was made at the end of 2002 when they started the new gen, or I could have remembered wrong. I looked for it but the add was gone.

njtacoma

Explorer
I didn't even know they offered a 2500 in awd until this thread, and today this pops up on craigslist: http://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/4813672759.html
It is only 6 lug, so is this a "light" 3/4 ton? similar to the light 3/4 tons both ford and GM offered in the pickups?

It would seem the 1500 and 2500 AWD Van shared drivetrains, perhaps a slightly stiffer set of rear springs and torsion bars for the 2500.

simple

Adventurer
I didn't even know they offered a 2500 in awd until this thread, and today this pops up on craigslist: http://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/4813672759.html
It is only 6 lug, so is this a "light" 3/4 ton? similar to the light 3/4 tons both ford and GM offered in the pickups?

It would seem the 1500 and 2500 AWD Van shared drivetrains, perhaps a slightly stiffer set of rear springs and torsion bars for the 2500.

Nice piece of detective work.

meterpig

I would buy that van in two seconds. What a steal! So, looking at this van...does it only have glass on one side? That would be totally unusual...one that I have never seen. I searched for Savannas/express vans for over a year and found 1 (now 2) a 2500 AWD. Still, I think a 6 lug is perfectly fine for most applications. 1 ton suspensions can cost a lot more money to repair/maintain. The nice thing is...the 1/2 ton is easy to source parts for.

1stDeuce

Explorer

That is correct. The newer (2003+) "2500" AWD vans were just cargo versions of the half ton people hauler van. They have 6-lug wheels, not 8-lug, a 10 bolt rear axle, and the little 7.25" front diff that does fine with the viscous "AWD" t-case. They also have either the 4.8L or 5.3L, never the 6.0L.

To be clear, there are NO factory built 8-lug 2500 vans. Not even in 2003, though you may have been able to order a Quigly converted van from the dealer at that time. And the Quigly vans use a 9.25 front diff as far as I can tell, which is the normal 8-lug diff. (They use the '99-10 8-lug truck version)

If it's an eight lug 2500, it's most likely a Quigly conversion. (I know there are a few other companies that convert them too...)

Last edited:

86cj

Explorer
At least after 2009, the factory AWD vans are all half ton running gear (six lug hubs) and 1500 and 2500 versions share all components other than the rear springs. I've heard rumors that there were a few 2500 8-lug AWD vans built in the early to mid-2000's, but I've not seen any actual evidence, and I worked for the company that did ABS on those vans from 2003-2010, so I kinda doubt it, as we'd have had to do a lot of tuning. Quigly did some fairly factory looking conversions to the 8-lug 2500 vans of that generation using parts from the HD series trucks mostly, and I think that's why people think it's factory. The shop next door has three, so I'll check one to see they're using the 7.25 or 8.25 diff.

On the 2009+ AWD's, the factory t-case is non-locking, and only sends about 30% of available torque to the front axle, so it would be fairly difficult to break even a 7.25" front diff, which I do believe is what they have. (The half shafts are pretty tiny...) On top of that is the 3.42 gearing and open front diff, and you'd have a very hard time breaking anything. :)

If you swapped to a standard t-case, you could probably come up with a way to over-torque the front diff by having good traction on the front and none at the rear, but if you were mindful of this, it would be fairly easy to drive a little more carefully. With the factory t-case, there is no worry.

Chris

What a bunch of great info for everybody...............

The little 7.25" has been in production for a very long time and is not known for problems other than being broken by the right foot of some people, the ZR-2 diff had some better internals.

The AWD 35%-65% split actually works well and has a good feel to it, the front just goes where you steer it. The AWD does not push the frontend when turning in snow or mud like 4 high, unless you floor it and get some wheel spin. Which you should not be doing with a little 7.25" diff.. :ylsmoke:

BigDan

Observer
86cj , do you still have your front dana 30 ?

On my 86 cj , switched mine to a dana 44 with 8.5" ring gear .... I never broke my dana 30 but it was a safety decision...most offroad cj`s I know go for dana 60`s, that I feel is overkill to me !

Wonder if a front silverado diff ( 8.5" would fit in place of the 7.5"

anyone ever replaced is front 7.5" diff ? those with 35" tires , are they holding up ?
thanks
Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz