small chain saw

tonkaman

Adventurer
Buy a battery powered sawzall. It takes up far less space, no chance of spilled chemicals. Carry 8" blades and you can harvest plenty of firewood

cmbeck

Get the ms170 they are 200 give or take stihl dealers are everywhere so parts are readily available. Use the stihl fuel or 50/ fuel , it is expensive around 10$ per quart but the can is sealed , high octane ,ethanol free ,premixed and will greatly extend the useable life of the saw. I use my saws year-round and swear by the factory mixed fuel. Nothing worse than a saw that won't run when you need it. I have two 170 stihl saws one is around 14 years old and still going strong

binrat

Observer
Don't cheap out, you will regret it later. I used to carry an Echo 39cc with a 16" bar. :( Now I'm carrying a Husqy 365xp with 18" bar. World of difference. :D

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
Get the ms170 they are 200 give or take stihl dealers are everywhere so parts are readily available. Use the stihl fuel or 50/ fuel , it is expensive around 10$ per quart but the can is sealed , high octane ,ethanol free ,premixed and will greatly extend the useable life of the saw. I use my saws year-round and swear by the factory mixed fuel. Nothing worse than a saw that won't run when you need it. I have two 170 stihl saws one is around 14 years old and still going strong

Not to hijack this thread, but $10/quart!!! I mix 5 gals at a time; that would cost me $200 whereas at current prices w/mix I can fill up for about $18. A quart of fuel in my Stihl 441 may last 'til lunch on one of my normal days. FWIW-I've never had an issue using regular ol' 50:1 mix in premium, no-E gasoline. Add a fuel stabilizer if you think it'll be a few months before you consume it all. I've been running chainsaws hard and heavy for over 20 years with no problems following this regimen. Heck, one was an old 038 from 1981 I finally retired 5 years ago. Still ran on the original engine, I just needed the extra pep of the 441 to run a sawmill.

cmbeck

As I said it is expensive, but if you only use a saw occasionally and keep it with your gear this stuff keeps for a very long time and won't gum your carb. Yes there are other ways to come up with a stable mix but this is a easy way to keep a saw in good shape when stored over extended periods. 10 bucks a quart is cheap insurance on a saw firing up after sitting for a year in a crate.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
gonna have to stick with Sthil on this one.
I have a ms290 that I run a 20 inch bar on. I got it for a killer deal from the dealer because some one had come in the weekend before and run it for a few hours and said it was too heavy..... hmmmm
Needless to say the dealer made sure it was all kosher and knocked a hundred bucks off it since they were just going to end up useing it as their demo saw.

I have been using that saw extensivly to heat my house and clear land for the last three years. Put gas and oil in it, change the airfilter and it just goes.

Every time I pick up a husky I find my self doing battle to start it and keep it running. ( poor keeping on all those saw owners I am sure. ) I just find that the power to size ratio on the husky to be underwhelming. For ex... The 290 farm boss vs the husky rancher is not even close in my book. Perhaps others have other experiences. I have had the same problem with their smaller saws. I have never used a pro grade husky that was taken care of so I wont hold that aganist the saw. I can say that any of Sthil's pro saws are amazing machines that are worth every cent.

Again, Run far far away from any of the cheaper stuff unless you want to spend tim messing with it and paying for it. The polans craftsmans etc are all designed to be used for light duty every once a while but go try and clear a 20 inch tree off the road and you will find them lacking. I admit the older ones( like 15 years back) are much better then the current offerings.

Good luck

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
The problem that I have run into with the Sazall is limitations on what they can do. Over all great tool to have but they suck through batts wicked fast and if it is a decent sized limb or tree will struggle.

If it is just fire wood the OP is looking for then he should be able to find all he needs dead and down on the ground.

Roaming Gnome

I've got a huqavarna t435 14" bar. It is a top handle saw so you have to be comfy with that. It fits in my quad box perfectly so in a jeep no problem. Awesome little saw

My .02

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I've had an older John Deere that my father gave me and was a good saw for a LONG time. Getting tougher to keep it running though and no chain brake, etc.
I use a saw a few times a year to do some light cutting around the house. I bought an Echo 310 a couple years ago and have no complaints about it. Starts easy, cuts fine. I know, not a pro saw, but for what I do it has been fine. As important as the saw, get the right safety gear, learn how to use it safely and how to maintain it correctly.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
gonna have to stick with Sthil on this one.
I have a ms290 that I run a 20 inch bar on. I got it for a killer deal from the dealer because some one had come in the weekend before and run it for a few hours and said it was too heavy..... hmmmm
Needless to say the dealer made sure it was all kosher and knocked a hundred bucks off it since they were just going to end up useing it as their demo saw.

I have been using that saw extensivly to heat my house and clear land for the last three years. Put gas and oil in it, change the airfilter and it just goes.

Every time I pick up a husky I find my self doing battle to start it and keep it running. ( poor keeping on all those saw owners I am sure. ) I just find that the power to size ratio on the husky to be underwhelming. For ex... The 290 farm boss vs the husky rancher is not even close in my book. Perhaps others have other experiences. I have had the same problem with their smaller saws. I have never used a pro grade husky that was taken care of so I wont hold that aganist the saw. I can say that any of Sthil's pro saws are amazing machines that are worth every cent.

Again, Run far far away from any of the cheaper stuff unless you want to spend tim messing with it and paying for it. The polans craftsmans etc are all designed to be used for light duty every once a while but go try and clear a 20 inch tree off the road and you will find them lacking. I admit the older ones( like 15 years back) are much better then the current offerings.

Good luck
You can't pick out one consumer grade farm saw and say Husky is weak. To say the ones you have seen would not start is also a fetch because who knows who or if the carb was tuned and how old the gas was? Personally I run the little Husky race horse 346xp. It's small and light and will wip anything in its size or even a lot larger like the farm boss. You must compair fairly because both brands offer consumer, mid grade and professional saws. Unfortunately you must research and read between the lines to find out what's what. Stile does the same thing. You get what you pay for but looking for the ones without the rubber priming ball or some easy start features is a way to start. I also keep a Poland around and have dealt with my dads Crafstman. All they need is a lot of oil in the gas and a real tune. Open up the muffler a little without hurting the screen and mod the carb so you can tune it. It will start on first pull and feel like twice the power. I love tweaking cheap saws because they respond so well. As said that $10 a quart gas is a bargain if you want it to start next year. I run the AV gas which is basically the same stuff and it's wonderfull. Two strokes hate alcohol and love octane.
Spend the money on either pro grade offerings and have a great easy to tune and maintain saw for life. The pro grades get real carbs for starters and have pistons ,rings and bearing made to run for ever. Pay once or buy a new saw every few years.
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/products/xp-saws/346-xp-g/

snekvasil

Adventurer
You can't pick out one consumer grade farm saw and say Husky is weak. To say the ones you have seen would not start is also a fetch because who knows who or if the carb was tuned and how old the gas was? Personally I run the little Husky race horse 346xp. It's small and light and will wip anything in its size or even a lot larger like the farm boss. You must compair fairly because both brands offer consumer, mid grade and professional saws. Unfortunately you must research and read between the lines to find out what's what. Stile does the same thing. You get what you pay for but looking for the ones without the rubber priming ball or some easy start features is a way to start. I also keep a Poland around and have dealt with my dads Crafstman. All they need is a lot of oil in the gas and a real tune. Open up the muffler a little without hurting the screen and mod the carb so you can tune it. It will start on first pull and feel like twice the power. I love tweaking cheap saws because they respond so well. As said that $10 a quart gas is a bargain if you want it to start next year. I run the AV gas which is basically the same stuff and it's wonderfull. Two strokes hate alcohol and love octane.
Spend the money on either pro grade offerings and have a great easy to tune and maintain saw for life. The pro grades get real carbs for starters and have pistons ,rings and bearing made to run for ever. Pay once or buy a new saw every few years.
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/forest/products/xp-saws/346-xp-g/

X2 100%. My income depends on saws. The 346xp is one of the best saws money can buy. Like was stated, it's small and lightweight. And it rips through crap with an 18" bar. Bite the bullet--go with a Husky. For some reason, I think the 346xp might be a discontinued model...not sure though. A 540xp would be a great alternate.

java

Expedition Leader
I have the MS170 (well the older model the 017, but same saw), great little saw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior