small chain saw

Shocker

VanDOOM!
I have the Poulan Pro 18". I got it for about 139 bucks on sale. I have had it for about 4 years now and it has worked great the whole time. Now I don't spend 8 hours a day every day using it, but are we talking about that sort of use here?

If I am running a trail and come across a fall of hundreds of trees, I am turning around. I am not going to spend the next week cutting through. I have cut down several trees, branches etc etc. Not heavy work by any standard. I clean it up, stabilize the fuel and it starts on the 3rd pull nearly every time.

I did upgrade the chain which improved the cutting by a ton. Otherwise it has been great!

Know what else I have? A Ryobi electric. That thing also works pretty well for smaller stuff. It is an older made in the USA version. I have had that thing for years and it works great for 6" and smaller.

I can't argue with the quality of the Stihl or Husq saws as they are both excellent. I guess that if it life or death balances on my chainsaw, I am in a whole lot more trouble.

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
Lots of great advice in this thread.

Not saying this is the best route but it fits my needs quite well

I picked up this tiny little 30.5cc 14" Echo for $199 for my saw... Works great at home and on the trail.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-14-in-30-5-cc-Gas-Chainsaw-CS-310-14/100675457

I use my saw about once a month to a varying degree. I always use the canned, high octane, 0 ethanol fuel, keep the oil topped up, and sharpen the chain after every use. Safety gear is a must, and remember that sober is the only way to saw.

Sadly I can't get 0 ethanol fuel around here unless I stop by the airport or a marina - both of which are more of a pita than just buying the canned stuff from a big box store.

I tried the bow saw, a nice sharp axe, and the sawzall routes. Chainsaw is hands down the way to go. For me, the sawzall was a huge disappointment. Batteries burn out very fast, blades dull and break, and they take up a lot of space and weight for their performance. Still bring a bow saw and an axe but they rarely get used now that I have the baby Echo.

Bringing the can of fuel and the jug of oil, with the saw isn't as big a deal as some make it out to be. Sure it can be messy, but a plastic grocery bag does a good job containing it, and my saw doesn't fill the cab with gas fumes like some people complain about.

doug720

Expedition Leader
I carry my chainsaw fuel in a camp stove/lantern liquid type fuel bottle, the kind used to carry Coleman fuel. Costs is less then $20 for 32 oz size, made from aluminum, don't leak and easy to store.

RangerXLT

Adventurer
Well I made the plunge today. Picked up a brand new stihl 170 from a local shop today. Brand new with a 16" bar on it. They went through it with me, filled up the bar oil and the fuel. Tossed in a gallon of bar oil and a can of the high octane fuel as well. Pretty satisfied with the cost of everything. Camping out at keystone heights tonight. Doing some land development in the morning so I'll get to break it in. For as much as I will be using it I intend on just buying the premixed fuel. I purchased some engine oil today as well, just as a back up thing. It'll most likely just sit though. Hope to get a lot of good years out of this.
3544bf71da9d96fb0b47e8c1749986d8.jpg

RangerXLT

Adventurer
I got it from the dealer. I ran the saw all day today. Ran regular fuel for two tanks and then at the end of the day I filled it back up with the premix and rand it for a bit. The dealer recommended if I did choose to run my own mix to run the premix and store it with that when I was done. Saw performed great.
bb566070dcecb7f595bc3f4a7181438d.jpg
0792ecf70cb5576f03b6c0b729f9bc41.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

verdesardog

Explorer
When storing my saw for any length of time, I drain the gas out of the tank and run the saw till it stops to get all the fuel/oil out of the carburetor. Then pull the starter till I just feel compression, that closes the cylinder from the atmosphere. And refill the oil so there is minimum condensation possibility in the tank.

RangerXLT

Adventurer
I agree. How so if even the manufacturer offers alternatives to the premix?

Umtaneum

Adventurer
Stihl is offering a pretty good upgrade to their warranty if you will agree to run only their premixed fuel. I found this out last June when my old 036 was stolen and I bought a brand new 362. I'm still running pump gas mixed at home. No problems so far.
As for brands, Stihl, Husky, and Jonserud are all great saws. My old 036 was 20 years old and cut many cords of wood every year, I heat with wood. I also logged part of my property a few years back and did it all with that saw. I don't know what the Husky equivalent of the 170 Stihl is, but I'm sure it has it's advantages. It looks like Ranger XLT got his question answered well enough, anyhow.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I use a file.
That's what I do. Just get the file with the right diameter for your chain and do it by hand. Sharpeners don't work for me and waste time. I can run a hand file over my chain on every other fill up in a couple of minutes. The trick is to not let it get very dull.

RangerXLT

Adventurer
I would like to use a file as well, but I just want to make sure I learn the correct way to do so. I've seen ppl who "know" how to sharpen a simple pocket knife as well, but actually have no clue. I'll stop by stihl tomorrow and see what they have as far as files go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne