DIY Portable Solar Panel - Connector question included

loren85022

Explorer
I enjoy tinkering with my trailer. It has this beautiful empty space beneath the tent that I just had to fill with something. I have two batteries that run the ARB 63 fridge (we love) and a water pump, etc. So I thought a solar panel would be a fun project. Being the desert nomad-types we often camp in the shade so I decided to make it a portable unit I could position for optimal sun. One reason I decided to build something was portable units for sale weighed over 30 pounds. Too much!

I liked the Renogy 100W Monocrystalline Bendable Solar Panel $200 because it weighed 7 pounds. I opted to mount the Renogy 10W Controller in a separate box (ammo box) rather than in my battery box for now. The reason was that it allows me to charge other batteries.

My wife sewed the canvas bag. I inserted some thin plexi-material and a bit off foam in the liner to protect the panel and to hopefully allow me to lean the three-walled panel in a triangle using the velcro to secure the panel.
solar-1068.jpg
I unfold the panel and using the MC4 Female and Male connectors I attached it to the controller. For now I adapted an extension cord to some alligator clips.
solar-1071.jpg
solar-1073.jpg
My first test (10 nights in Baja) gave me a few ideas for improvements but overall it the system worked well. I didnt test the output as it was cloudy most days but 3-4 hours did the trick.
So heres the question; The MC4 connectors are a pain to connect so often. And given our style of camping, I dont see a need to assure complete waterproof. Anyone like a different type of connector for this type of cable?

highdesertranger

Adventurer
x2 on the Anderson. however they make a tool for the mc4 connectors or you could make your own. use a pair of the cheap wire crimpers and grind it out so there are two points the push the release tabs on the mc4. highdesertranger

DIY Guy

Observer
Once upon a time we called them "Deans plugs" and they were an absolute must in the RC world. I've even used then in automotive applications and never let down. Just my 2 cents

zoblo

Observer
I bought 50 feet of solar panel extension cable from amazon for around $30. It has a MC4 female connector on one end and a MC4 male connector on the other end. I cut it in half and plugged the MC4 connectors into the panel and attached the two prong plug to the other ends for plugging/unplugging into the controller. This gave me a 25 foot extension cable.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: That's pretty much how I keep my camp accessories and batteries at peak-

Sawmillllakejune12013.jpg

IMGP0652-1.jpg

IMGP0670-1.jpg

Satisfaction guaranteed-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

rayra

Expedition Leader
Another vote for powerwerx and Anderson Power Poles. They're in use all over the HAM / CERT sphere as well. Rig them right and use them for connecting all sorts of things.

I used some to make a variety of power hookup adapters for a 2m ham handheld. You could do the same with your solar components and arrange things so you could power or re-charge other devices, mix and match, if you don't hardware things thru a charge controller / inverter.

hamkit_zps3abd8148.jpg

offero

Desert rat
x3 (or x4 now?) on the Anderson Power Poles. The only downside is that they're not waterproof and dustproof. Having said that, we're just talking about low voltage DC here. I have them on the leads of my solar panels and use a 4-way connector to parallelize the two panels, then run another cable with Power Poles to my electronics box. Easy to connect, if someone trips over the cable, they tend to disconnect easily.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
x3 (or x4 now?) on the Anderson Power Poles. The only downside is that they're not waterproof and dustproof. Having said that, we're just talking about low voltage DC here. I have them on the leads of my solar panels and use a 4-way connector to parallelize the two panels, then run another cable with Power Poles to my electronics box. Easy to connect, if someone trips over the cable, they tend to disconnect easily.

Not weather "proof", but adding shrink tubing on the back of the connector up to the terminal tab makes things tight "enough" for any portable use, in my opinion.

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
on my solar system I use the xt60 connectors. they are small easy to hookup and remove and relatively inexpensive, you can get 10 sets for under 10 dollars. The only drawback is you have to solder the wires to them but its relatively easy.

I used powerpoles before but i dont see the advantage in them over the xt60. The xt60 can handle up to 60 amps. They also make the xt90 which can handle 90 amps. For me anything that uses more than 60 amps I would hardwired to the battery. I got the xt60 connected to the ends of my 240 watt solar panel which it easily handles.

xt60 juction box a.jpgxt60 connector large a.jpgxt60 closeup a.jpg

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
I like power poles BUT they really do come apart very easily.

on my solar system I use the xt60 connectors. they are small easy to hookup and remove and relatively inexpensive, you can get 10 sets for under 10 dollars. The only drawback is you have to solder the wires to them but its relatively easy.

I used powerpoles before but i dont see the advantage in them over the xt60. The xt60 can handle up to 60 amps. They also make the xt90 which can handle 90 amps. For me anything that uses more than 60 amps I would hardwired to the battery. I got the xt60 connected to the ends of my 240 watt solar panel which it easily handles.

View attachment 266532View attachment 266531View attachment 266533

JonyJoe... I think your set-up deserves some more write-up. Do you have two MPPT controllers and if so to what end?

offero

Desert rat
Not weather "proof", but adding shrink tubing on the back of the connector up to the terminal tab makes things tight "enough" for any portable use, in my opinion.

Agreed. I haven't bothered with that yet, but I might for those solar panel connectors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94