Christmas in Oman with Land Cruiser 150

Saucyboy

Oh no mate, not the best place to have a flat lol.

I absolutely loved it out there and if it wasn't for the fact that I want to see the rest of the world I'd go back in a heart beat.

Yeah the 200 was a strong over lander and the extra grunt was welcomed in the empty quarter and wahibi sands. It was my first ever experience of driving on sand and I was certainly thrown into the deep end. However the trusty 200 never got stuck once in 3 weeks.

Skinny, mate it was one of the safest places I have ever travelled. I'm a english dude with tattoos and shaved head and never met with any issues what so ever. Every one was super friendly and very helpful. awesome country.

Couple more pics ; )

veiri86

Am really glad you enjoyed Oman. I live/work in Oman since 2009 . It's one the wonderful place where nature is still as it is not ruined by people or civilization. People here are very kind and helpful.

vs11

Very nice Trip !
We went 2 weeks ago to Oman.:wings:

Attachments

• Toyo+Zelt.jpg
    Toyo+Zelt.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 37

cols110

Observer
Over the last 9 year which we have lived in Dubai I have done quite a few trips to Oman, it really is like God's Country there, great driving & scenery & some of the most friendly people you could ever hope to meet.

Here are a few photos of some of our trips to Oman, don't forget about Musandam either it is another great place to spend a few days.

http://cdr.smugmug.com/Off-Road

To anyone thinking of hiring a vehicle in Oman I would highly recommend bringing a decent air compressor with you, now days you can get a good compressor which is a decent size & will not blow the budget.

To me the most essential piece of recovery equipment after the shovel in the desert is a compressor, my advice is to never leave home without one, as long as you are not bogged to the chassis, deflation and a bit of digging will almost always get going again. The prospect of deflating to 10psi to recover & then driving to the nearest garage which can be quite some distance in Oman & not all of them have air available is not appealing.

Note refuelling with a super siphon from the 30 ltr can in the back window as the was no power & they were unable to pump and fuel, I have come across this several times in some of the more off the beaten track areas.
20101018-DSC_8201-M.jpg

Here is another high tech garage in Ras Madrakah. Note the quality of the pumps.

20101017-DSC_8097-M.jpg

johanso

Adventurer
Cool pics! Totally agree regarding the air compressor. For 10 days of driving we decided to adapt our driving instead of investing in a compressor.

RockClimber

Really Nice Pictures! And an excellent way to compare different generations of Land Cruisers.

True about the Hilux being really desirable there. Put mine up for sale and most that are interested are planning to export it to North Africa or the Middle East.

Since you mention climbing gear, I was wondering if you did some climbing over there?

johanso

Adventurer
All older Toyotas seem to be desirable. There are basically no older Hilux available in Sweden any more. They get bought and shipped abroad. I regularly get letters from similar companies that are interested in buying my Land Cruiser. They don't pay very good but if you have a rusted out junker that fails inspection I guess it can be a pretty good alternative.

We needed an extra via ferrata sling and searched a lot for it in Muscat but without luck. There is suppose to be an indoor climbing club somewhere in Muscat but we didn't find it. So my advice would bring everything you need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles