Fender well storage

ripperj

Explorer
Does anyone use the fender well access doors on their camper? I am building a new lower section from scratch for my Alaskan, wondering if it's worth putting the access doors back in. I can see where you could put wet towels or dirty laundry there.

LuckyDan

Adventurer
I do not on my FWC Grandby because mine are a PITA to get to. I did frequently on my old Caveman hardside.

mkish

Adventurer
We put our folding chairs and shower tent and other odd items in there. I'd miss it, pain in the butt that it is.

Rot Box

Explorer
In my FWC those are access panels are in the front under the seat cushions and as Dan mentioned they are a paint to get to. I use mine for storing my jack, jugs of oil/atf/brake fluid/power steering fluid and things like that. Mostly stuff i hope I don't need but don't dare leave behind.

fisher205

Explorer
I have an early 80's Alaskan http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/34534-Alaska-2009 but this summer bought a mid 90's Alaskan. The new camper does not have fender well access and we have lost so much storage that we have considered going back to the old camper or taking out the dinette in the new camper and replacing it so that we can access the fender wells. (is that a run on sentence or what). We would put our folding chairs, table and net tent in one fender well, and I would carry my tools, spare parts and batteries in the other. I am seriously considering a flat bed like the previous owner Kilroy had.

Good luck with the replacement of the base of your Alaskan.

mkish

Adventurer
Mine is a Northstar tc800. They're small enough to still be awkward. Good sources of ventilation, too. :p

ripperj

Explorer
I think I will make mine oversized. If I reinforce the opening there won't be any loss of strength. I had seen one camper where the dual batteries were kept in the bed thru the access doors, but seems like a pain unless you have those big DC plugs

rotti

Adventurer
I get a lot of use out of mine.

One side has the 2x6 wood leveling blocks, some plywood base for the Hi-Lift and a collapsable grey water bag.
Other side has a small air compressor. Plus a good spot for things with fumes: small propane bottles, charcoal fire starter, dirty underwear.
Could also be a good hidey hole for contraband?

x2 on the ventilation. I added some bug screen to one of mine.

Umtaneum

Adventurer
My Bigfoot and my StarCraft popup had the batteries in the fender well. Worked pretty well, until you needed to change one out with the camper IN the truck bed. Then it was a recipe for blood blisters.

fisher205

Explorer
My old Alaskan's is through the top under the seat like a hatch. So wasn't totally inconvenient. I'll try and get pictures of that also for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke