Operation Backyard Discovery

WPSFan

Awesome story and thank you for your service. I also start terminal leave in 2 months and in a similar situation, the wife and I are miserable being stationed outside of D.C. ..so with no kids, real debt to speak of, or much responsibility period we sat down and thought "Where can we move that is as far from civilization but still has enough opportunity's to continue my career and make a living?"

We easily narrowed it down to Colorado Springs. Not near as exciting as y'alls journey but a step in the right direction for sure. Thanks for sharing your story and I look forward to reading more.

60toyetero

Adventurer
Awesome story and thank you for your service. I also start terminal leave in 2 months and in a similar situation, the wife and I are miserable being stationed outside of D.C. ..so with no kids, real debt to speak of, or much responsibility period we sat down and thought "Where can we move that is as far from civilization but still has enough opportunity's to continue my career and make a living?"

We easily narrowed it down to Colorado Springs. Not near as exciting as y'alls journey but a step in the right direction for sure. Thanks for sharing your story and I look forward to reading more.
Thank you for your service too. I am glad you enjoyed the read. We stopped posting a lot because we were not really sure how many people were reading or if we were just wasting our time sitting down trying to write down what we did and waiting for pictures to upload one at a time.. I wish you could just load up a bunch at the same time. totally enjoy your transition from military to civilian, use your leave to travel and see tons of places for sure!!!! best thing I have ever done!. Colorado springs is awesome, my sister is down there and we were looking at settling there for a while but after spending some time in Alaska, i am now due to start flight school this month. For that reason, the adventure will continue here. I wish you the best of luck on your adventures to come brotha!

60toyetero

Adventurer
Today's adventure:" July 29th" Fly out back country Alaska to inspect runways across the state. what an amazing experience. Wow is all I can say ! too awesome!
P7290041.jpg
P7280015.jpg
P7280017.jpg
P7280028.jpg
P7280035.jpg
P7290037.jpg Sand Dunes in Alaska? I had no idea!

60toyetero

Adventurer
So not sure if anyone has kept up with the fires going on in Alaska. It is some of the worst Alaska has ever had. Getting to fly the back country and see the operations was a really neat experience. It is crazy how much of the interior is on Fire and amazing to see how precision fire fighting skills have saved tons of properties around the state.
P7290038 2.jpg
P7290040.jpg

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
What a great adventure! I retired from the Army this year and once I get the adventure rig set up and the house sold, plan on doing some traveling ourselves. Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks for your service, put that GI Bill money to good use, flying in Alaska is beautiful and dangerous...be safe.

60toyetero

Adventurer
It has been a while sense I have jumped on expo, but wanted to check in for an update. Got my first semester of flight school done, and everything is going accordingly! Having a great time enjoying Alaska. Winter here is extremely interesting. The sun rises "behind the clouds" at about 1030 and sets at 330 so not much daylight to play with. You can ride 4 wheelers everywhere so we have been taking advantaged of that. Sold the camper, and the truck and went back to a land cruiser.. I am a big Toyota fan "60toyetero". Though the 7.3 6 speed was a pretty sweet truck, I have a new rig to take us on adventures around Alaska :) and so our adventure together begin
IMG_4922.jpg
IMG_4928.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

https://youtu.be/fnDMid_HonE

Attachments

• PC110111.jpg
    PC110111.jpg
    523 KB · Views: 23

Globatrol

Observer
Nice read guys! Overland travel with lots of awesome experiences and capped off with some flying and Tundra tires! not sure if you will be able to top that...
All the best with the aviation career - I imagine Alaska is light A/C heaven...

We will be wandering around your part of the world next year - can't wait to get there after seeing some of those pics...

cheers - Justin and Jen
www.globatrol.com

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Wow:Wow1:60 Toy, what an awesome thread you have going here. I checked out your travels for the first time and all I can say is WOW:Wow1: Your pictures are great and the things you and the misses get into are way cool. What an inspiration to any traveler! I love all the remote places that you are going ang the detailed reports of what you are up to. Even better is the fact that you have upgraded from a Fraud to a Toyota!:drool: Bonus! Cheers, Chilli!:)

rodrgzj

Great pics and great story! Alaska is beautiful! Your Land Cruiser is sweet! i own two cruisers myself. keep the pics and the adventure coming! will certainly will be following you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94