Anyone have any experience with any of the RTTs sold on Alibaba

Bravo1782

Adventurer
I've been shopping for RTTs for a few years now and I think this tax return time is the year I'm going to make a move. A friend of mine pointed me to Alibaba.com to look at ordering a RTT if I wanted to save some cash. Evidently, a lot of big name RTT companies have their tents made in china, and these are likely the unbranded, but otherwise identical tents.

Has anyone purchased an RTT from Alibaba? If so, how was your experience?

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
While I can not speak to buying things on that sight, I have found that the " Un branded twins" to be crap in the past.
I have gotten the short end of the stick more then once.
Perhaps some one else will have a better experience then I, or perhaps some one has gotten an RTT from them and can speak to these things.
Good luck.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
There are dozens (or more) factories and major differences in quality gradients even from the same factories on textiles. Each customer has their own quality standards and better yet quality control (hopefully) and when buying from Alibaba you take advantage of none of that... While things look identical in a 6"x6" internet photo, they are far different in person. Take two 'insert your name here' copies of say the ARB Simpson II tent (which many companies knocked off), hinge material is different, hardware can be different, pole construction, material, etc. Buyer beware. At a minimum buy from a company that has shown to represent a good image as part of the community.

I think alibaba companies usually have minimum orders of 5 or more units - then shipping is expensive, and customs, and transport from port city to your place, etc, etc..
do LOTS of research if you proceed. A good freight forwarding company could answer a lot of questions about the complete process.

troyboy162

Adventurer
You'd have to set up a group buy to come out on top with that website. I've seen single ones for sale but then your savings is eaten up by the shipping.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Not specific to RTT, but I've had generally good experience buying stuff off of aliexpress/dhgate. I buy electronics (LEDs, etc) and most of the time the stuff is pretty decent. I've only had one order where I ended up thinking "this is total crap".

That said, I'm not sure I would order a big ticket item like a RTT from them sight unseen with a questionable return policy.

Vegas_Nick

Adventurer
I think alibaba companies usually have minimum orders of 5 or more units - then shipping is expensive, and customs, and transport from port city to your place, etc, etc..
do LOTS of research if you proceed. A good freight forwarding company could answer a lot of questions about the complete process.

Agreed. I do a lot of trade with Chinese vendors. Shipping on a single RTT is 700-$900. A container or half container is the way to go but without a customs broker you could end up waiting months to get through the process.

As to Chinese tents, look at all the trouble Smitty built has had with the leaking seams, ripping seams, general junk.

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
I was in the same boat, I've researched materials, construction, different brands, reviews and so on. I was on the fence for over 5 years and two days ago I finally pulled the trigger and got a Tepui from Santa Cruz CA. It looks like the typical carbon copy "insert rebranded Chinese RTT name here" kind of tent but honestly it's good bang for the buck. I actually "rented" mine, upon picking it up it they "rented" me a bran new one, needless to say I didn't bring it back. And yes, I've already spent 3 days in it last weekend. I'll be writing up a review with pics in the RTT Awning forum in a week or so. I just thought I'd say they are worth checking out, the customer service is great, the price is reasonable (no it's not pocket change), they have a good selection and the warehouse was stocked nicely and I'm sure you could count on them for parts if needed.

OwyheeMagpie

Adventurer and Explorer
I should add, "Chinese rename tent" is a very loose term. Yes, they all look similar but they vary greatly. The stitching quality, colors, hinge design, seam sealing and zipper quality vary a lot. While it didn't rain on me this past weekend I have full confidence to use this tent in any weather, the zippers are smooth and worked flawless and most of the details are well thought out. I could nitpick a few things like on any item but with out going into to much detail all I could say is I'd buy it again if I had to.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Fords, Chevys, Dodges, Toyotas, Nissans, BMWs, VWs, Jeeps, etc are all built in the US so therefore must all be the same.

Bravo1782

Adventurer
I've been doing my research since I posted this, and I'm starting to see that just in dealing with shipping and customs the cost savings of buying a tent from china direct is totally negated. That only is enough to deter me, let alone the questionable (at best) return policies\etc. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get in on this year's CVT group buy and just get a good one and be done with it. Seems like a damn-sight less of a hassle. Thanks for all the info guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne