Which Lr3 Sump Guard

DiscoNels

Adventurer
But does it cover the tranny? what about the TerrFirma? (I assume not, as they offer a $400 tranny plate)
IMO, The factory plate is better than nothing.

The Terrafirma doesn't cover the tranny however, it covers so much area that when I looked at what it would take for an object, Rock, etc, to make impact, it's so far up high that it's really out of reach. Unless you drive with reckless abandon or have a horrible spotter you should be fine in 99% of cases. I've thought about adding the TF tranny guard, but I'm saving my money because I've tested my armor on rocks and at no time was I ever at risk of damaging that area.

DiscoNels

Adventurer
When I mounted my skid plate I remember having to use a bottle jack to help push it up against the bottom of the truck so I could start the bolt threads. I was doing this all alone with no outside help. Since then I've never had a reason to pull it off for anything, however, the guys at my shop have had it off many times for various service reasons and oil changes. Nobody from the shop has ever said anything to me about it being a PITA.

Eniam17

Adventurer
Great thanks disconels. I was planning on getting the asfir that umberto has but sounds like we can't get them here anymore so the TF should work. Thanks

umbertob

Adventurer
But does it cover the tranny? what about the TerrFirma? (I assume not, as they offer a $400 tranny plate)
IMO, The factory plate is better than nothing.

No, the Asfir doesn't quite extend far enough to cover the transmission. Come to think of it, there is no factory cover under the transmission, either. As others have mentioned, that case is tucked up in the chassis pretty good, so of all the stuff you could hit down there that's probably the least likely to get damaged. Compressor + air tank, doors, fuel tank, exhaust, oil sump, radiator (in that order) are in far greater danger when rock crawling, IMHO. The factory "plates" covering radiator and oil pan areas are real flimsy and probably there mostly for aerodynamic purposes, not so much for protection.

zelatore

Explorer
I run Tactical sliders, which come all the way in to the frame rails, as well as their gas tank and transmission skids. It's nearly a full belly pan, but still leaves the rear exhaust and suspension pick-up points as the low spots. (I've been tempted to just cut the exhaust off and put turn-downs after the big center box but like how quiet the truck is most of the time)
I haven't damaged my stock front so-called skids yet though I have scraped them up a bit. My Tactical stuff has fully supported the truck from time to time however as I do tend to play jr. rock crawler on occasion.

But if anybody has tried some of the aftermarket oil pan skids with an ARB please let me know. Planning to drag this thing through the Rubicon this year, so all the armor I can get is a good idea. :)

srschick

Adventurer
would rail sliders (T4x4) and the front guard (TerraFirma or like) be sufficient enough for most off roading adventures?
What else would you recommend for a minimum?

Just wondering, as I'm going to be starting my off road build in a few months, but really don't need to go overboard, ifyouknowwhatimean.

DiscoNels

Adventurer
The Terrafirma front skid plate, along with T4x4 rock sliders would be a great start. I've got the T4x4 gas tank skid plate and it's more than paid for itself going over rocks. With this amount of coverage you're nearly bullet proof. I also have the Asfir rear diff guard which helps a lot too (but Asfir doesn't have a US distributor anymore and I've never seen a rear diff guard for LR3's other than theirs)

Jwestpro

Explorer
But if anybody has tried some of the aftermarket oil pan skids with an ARB please let me know. Planning to drag this thing through the Rubicon this year, so all the armor I can get is a good idea. :)

I have the RASTA "radiator guards" which are pretty cool. You might look into them.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I have the RASTA "radiator guards" which are pretty cool. You might look into them.

I personally feel that these are only necessary if you wheel in heavily forested areas a lot. If rocks and deserts are your normal terrain, I wouldn't bother with the radiator guards.

morrisdl

Adventurer
What factory armor? The factory plates under oil pan and transmission might as well be made of cardboard for the protection they offer. ...

My 2006 oil pan skid plate still looks good. Maybe in 2013 they switched to cardboard. ;-)

LxMhvCDZKrxxaekctyHItCPdM-u0fcMr2Uuip5u4GiUt=w1259-h905-no

I just added the Tactical Rover transmission/transfer case skid plate. Its well built and very reasonably priced piece of insurance. My RS sliders are off for re-powdercoating, so ill have to wait and see how well the two line up.

DiscoNels

Adventurer
I just added the Tactical Rover transmission/transfer case skid plate. Its well built and very reasonably priced piece of insurance. My RS sliders are off for re-powdercoating, so ill have to wait and see how well the two line up.

Looks like all you need after getting your RS sliders back on is a Tactical Rovers (T4x4) gas tank skid. Seems like your transfer case skid should sit right on top of the RS sliders once you put them back in place as they go right to the inside edge of the frame. It might push the skid down a little but visually it looks like it should work without cutting. I have RS sliders too so be sure to post a pic once everything is mounted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles