nissan and 35's

ytadvexp

Hey all. I'm looking at a hardbody p/u. wondering how well the front diff would hold up to 35" tires. truck is already lifted and fitted with these tires. I don't bash or rat my vehicles. I've owned a few troopers and a coupla montero's, and ran 35's on them with mild up grades.(93 trooper got lifted and had the steering arms from indy4x and ran 35's w/o much issue. Montero got lifted and same tires and had no issues.) are nissan front ends as tough?

stioc

Expedition Leader
Most of us on this board are not into rock crawling so you won't find a lot of info on running 35" tires here. Perhaps the best source of info I could recommend is NPORA or Barry http://nissannut.com/projects/SAS_3link_d21/. IMHO the IFS Nissans aren't as tough as the Troopy or the Montys (sure they can run 35s but when you really wheel them not sure...). They're however still pretty tough and will run 33" tires all day long without issues.

How does the D21 drive with 35" tires btw? I can't imagine not noticing the power-loss unless it's re-geared.

Goodluck.

ytadvexp

I personally haven't driven it yet. the guy who owns it says it's definitely slower even though he re-geared it .( I don't know yet what he re-geared to. Nissan v 6's aren't exactly powerhouses) I'm thinking that if I can get it cheaply enough, i would re-gear it. I'm playing phone tag with this guy as we both drive truck. I'm not expecting miracles, but am thinking of doing some prospecting, and need a reasonably reliable 4x4 to get where I need to go.

IggyB

Adventurer
The gears available for Nissan's are expensive and limited in ratio's available. Cranking the torsion bars more than an inch on a Nissan results in very fast wear on the steering gear - idler arm, TRE's,... Front diff is a massive cast iron piece and will hold up to 35's as you'll have no power to spin them :)

drew7997

The gears available for Nissan's are expensive and limited in ratio's available. Cranking the torsion bars more than an inch on a Nissan results in very fast wear on the steering gear - idler arm, TRE's,... Front diff is a massive cast iron piece and will hold up to 35's as you'll have no power to spin them :)

To Clarify- 2000-2004 The Torsion Bars can be cranked to raise the front end. You can purchase aftermarket steering parts (I did) to ensure that the steering is not your weak link. most came with 3.3L or 3.3L supercharged. I also cranked my bars to 0.5" for the lower gap. Runs great and aligned perfect.
2005-current use Spring over struts. Only way to "lift" the front is to get longer springs or Daystar lift pucks. most people skip that and do a suspension lift. Use a beefy 4.0L v6 engine. Night and day from the 3.3L

stioc

Expedition Leader
The Nissan in question though is a Hardbody p/u so a D21 which were produced 1985—1997

landshark

You have to do a steering upgrade on those hardbodies. Lift, bigger tires and off-road absolutely makes it a necessity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke