Isuzu NPS 300 Winch

MARK 208

Any recommendations for a winch the truck voltage is 24V. The GVM is 6500kg which I will be loaded to.I was looking at a 17500kg Superwinch but I'm not sure.

blackduck

Explorer
Mark
I run a 16500lb mako on my FG
its one of those Chinese cheapies
I was going to buy one of the big names big price winches
but seeing as to date ive used it to pull a tree stump or 2 out and rescue the occasional meat head 4x4 driver
the cost saving going chinese is justified

but as with all recovery gear if it save your skin once its paid for itself

when you say 17500 is that pounds or kg
they say the winch should be GVM x 1.5 so 17500lbs sounds right

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I have a Runva 17,500 lbs (8 tonne) winch on my FG84 Canter. Unless you are going to go hydraulic, I think that this is the biggest electric winch you will be able to get.
The problem is that the market for winches is heavily weighted towards "normal sized" 4x4 vehicles, meaning that not a lot of companies make a winch model larger than 12,000 lbs.

My personal opinion is that the Chinese winches are not all that bad, but they are cheaper for a reason. As an example... threaded holes for the motor mount are normally just tapped into the cast iron.
That's fine if you never plan on servicing the winch, but if you do, it is likely you will strip those threads pretty easily. I would also question the quality of the grease that is supplied with Chinese winches.

If, like me, you would like to ensure that your winch will work when you need it to, some simple modifications will increase it's reliability. Two things that I did was to put stainless steel helicoils in all of the tapped holes and I replaced the grease with a good quality high pressure/waterproof lithium based grease.

I would also strongly recommend using synthetic rope, opposed to cable.
There are arguments for using either, but using synthetic rope is normally safer it will reduce the overall weight of a 17,500 lbs winch significantly (we're talking well over 20Kg for a 30m rope).

Alastair D(Aus)

aging but active
On my Isuzu NPS300 I have Warn 15,000 winch on the front with wire cable. It was on the truck when I bought it. If I had bought it new I would have got synthetic but see no point in changing it other than the weight.

On the rear I have a new Runva 12,000 with synthetic. I hope I will never use either one but experience tells me the front on will be used pulling out others and the rear will be used when I went where I should not have gone.

If you only plan to use the winch in emergency then make sure you carry a snatch block or two. This will multiply up your pulling power, drop the load on the winch and the only penalty is a longer pull. You can then go for a lighter winch like I have. Just make sure the mounts are up to the job as with pulleys you can easily cause big loads.

A winch extension strap, snatch blocks, rated shackles and a tree truck preserver are essential kit to have stashed away but where you can get them easily when bogged. Remember Mr Murphy is always watching!

cheers

Goldanfish

Observer
Runva 17500 lb on NPS 300

Does anyone know if you can fit a Runva 17500 lb winch to an Isuzu NPS300 without altering the standard Isuzu Alum. Bull bar. Or is there major rebuild alterations to the Bar.
Interested to know your thoughts.
John.

alan

Explorer
Does anyone know if you can fit a Runva 17500 lb winch to an Isuzu NPS300 without altering the standard Isuzu Alum. Bull bar. Or is there major rebuild alterations to the Bar.
John.

I'm tipping you would have to make a winch mount frame to support the winch.

Goldanfish

Observer
Thanks Alan, that wouldn't worry me making a mount frame. I was mainly asking if someone here has one with standard bulbar ,I'm thinking I may have to extend the bar forward ,but hoping someone has done it and sorted the problems first.
Thanks John .

blackduck

Explorer
dont know how much room youve got to play with on the isuzu but my mount on the FG is with a standard ally bar
manufactured a mount between the two chassis rails to carry the winch and modded the bar to allow it to fold
led's (2).jpg

Aussie Iron

Explorer
dont know how much room youve got to play with on the isuzu but my mount on the FG is with a standard ally bar
manufactured a mount between the two chassis rails to carry the winch and modded the bar to allow it to fold
View attachment 264363
Stu,
I know it's a side track. I like your little lights on your bar but I'm sorry to say that they won't be there after our trip to the cape later this year.
You would have to watch going along some desert track as well the vegetation would knock them off.
Dan.

MARK 208

Thanks for the information guys I'll go & do some more research, more than likely I'll go with a big Chinese unit & keep my fingers crossed.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
John.

Hi John

Presuming your NPS is newer than 2008 then you will need to buy a proper setup. Any bullbar fitted to a truck with airbag protection needs to be engineered, tested and certified as being compatible with the airbags...... Especially how it's mounted to the chassis. So no, you cant just make a custom winch cradle. Honestly it would be easier to sell your Isuzu bar and buy a certified one. ..... Otherwise If you were ever in an accident and someone was hurt in your truck, your insurance company would just walk away.

ATW do a certified airbag compliant steel winch cradle to suit a 15000lb Runva. There are reinforced recovery points underneath, all alloy bulbar , 100mm wide spotlight tabs to take 3-bolt mounts, LED ADR lighting, etc, etc

RegardsJohn

Last edited:

Goldanfish

Observer
Thanks Guys I thought that may be the case John as mines a 2009 and yes I'm thinking of a Runva 17500 . It's good to know that fits the ATW Bar for the 15000 winch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior