"Chuck Rose the Truck" finds a new home....

kayak15

Observer
Today a dream of mine was realized. It may be a strange dream to some, but for the last ten years of my marriage (which is all of my marriage) I have desired to have a very specific truck.....a regular cab, longed, 4x4, automatic, Dodge 2500.

Today that truck was purchased and driven to its new home. Now the name is another fun story. I have three daughters and a lovely wife who are all very supportive of this dream and making it a reality. So naturally, being the good husband and father that I am, the females of the Merritt family were given the chance to select the name. My 6 year old, call sign "Grace" wanted "Chuck the Truck". My 8 year old, call sign "Goose" wanted "Rose". My wife, being ever the mother, couldn't care less and said combine the two and make them both happy..... So there you have it Expo.... "Chuck Rose the Truck" is officially named and a member of our family.

Chuck Rose is a 1994 Dodge 2500 4x4 with the 5.9 Magnum gas motor. She has a manual transfer case and automatic transmission. She has a fair amount of body rust, a few holes in the floor pan, a hole in the bed, and some rust spots on the roof. She has more miles than I can count, and spent a good portion of her former life hauling dead deer after hunting around eastern NC.

So without further ado, let me introduce "Chuck Rose the Truck"........

2015-01-03 12.09.05.jpg

My friend and I tried to give her a good start with a lunch on the tailgate as we were driving her home from Raleigh, NC

2015-01-03 12.22.43.jpg

Chuck Rose also received her first modification once we got back closer to home. Found a great deal on Craigslist for a nice Leer topper....

2015-01-03 16.27.29.jpg
2015-01-03 19.18.11.jpg

Chuck Rose is currently riding on some worn out 315/75/R16's on 20 year old factory steel chrome clad wheels. The plans for the truck include fixing as much Dodge rot as possible and at least slowing down the stuff that I can't completely fix. Getting some new shoes and wheels, probably some Method Racing NV's in black and some type of E rated tire. New exhaust, new intake, full engine tune-up, tranny flush and adjust, and "new" old seats from a pick n pull. Then build a sleeping platform for me and my two oldest daughters, do Herculiner or similar on rockers, cab floor, and bed. Add a roof rack for our current kayaks and a hoping to acquire a new tandem sit on top soon. Outfit the interior with new CD player, speakers, storage options, cup holders, etc.

Chuck Rose is definitely not a daily driver, nor a massive long distance expo rig. She will serve the family perfectly though with hauling trash to the dump, making mulch/gravel runs for the yard, camping with my daughters, and trips to Lowes.

The best part other than realizing a decade long dream, is that I paid $3,300 for everything and have no truck payment!! Will make remodel/modification work much easier and the camping budget that much higher!

Stay tuned for trips and updates and I will plan to document as much as possible and add it to this thread.

Thanks and happy exploring,

Kevin Merritt - Shelby, NC

underdrive

jackwagon
Nice looking truck, good deal on the camper shell. One of your first upgrades should be a transmission temperature gauge, and a nice big external cooler - Dodges aren't exactly known for their great (factory) automatics, so better be aware of what it's doing at any given time and also try to prolong its life as much as possible.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
Nice truck. Good idea on all the planned maintenance. One thing you might want to avoid is the tranny flush. It is OK to dump the pan and change the filter, clean the magnet or add one, button it up and fill it up. If you flush it you could end up with more problems than it is worth.

85burbanator

Take care of that motor and it will take care of you, we have 448,000 on ours with a broken valve spring as the only major problem. Same truck only a '96 and lived in Michigan its whole life. Oil pan may finally be rusting through, I noticed a puddle the other day but the weather sucks so I haven't checked it out yet.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
You can't beat those Dodges.

Wow! If I knew how to put a quote in my sig, this would be it! Mainly because it came from you Larry! (Respect intended as you know more about domestics than anyone else I've ever come across!)

Nice truck Kevin! I've owned a few Dodges (including the '94s below) and you have a simple and solid truck there! I like the white too.

image_zps83f08f81.jpg

image_zps9ee96da7.jpg

imagejpg1_zps9243375b.jpg

kayak15

Observer
Thanks for all of the well wishes and sound advice!!

I am making my first run to the county dump this afternoon with my oldest daughter! I think she is more excited than I am! As maintenance/repairs begin I plan to document them as much as possible. This afternoon's goal is to clean out the carport and storage shed enough for me to be able to take the camper shell off to address the rust on the bed rails and roof. Also will give me a chance to lay down some DIY bedliner in the back over the next few weeks. Then this weekend tackling the first oil change for Chuck Rose. Probably going to go with Mobil 1 High Mileage full synthetic 10w30 with a Mobil 1 extended performance filter. While I am under the truck I plan to address the hitch with the grinder/sander and some rattle can undercoating. Pics to come this evening as work progresses......

THanks again and I am glad there are serveral other folks out there who have loved on and driven these cool regular cabs who are willing to offer advice! I need all the help I can get on this project for sure.

Kevin

BigTex

Observer
Thanks for all of the well wishes and sound advice!!

"Run to the county dump this afternoon with my oldest daughter"

This sounds just like "the pickup truck song" by Jerry Jeff Walker. Too awesome. Great truck by the way! Don't blame me if you listen to the song, and it's stuck in your head the rest of the day though.....

underdrive

jackwagon
Wow! If I knew how to put a quote in my sig, this would be it! Mainly because it came from you Larry! (Respect intended as you know more about domestics than anyone else I've ever come across!)

Go to edit your signature, and copy-paste this in without the dollar signs: [QUOTE$$$=Larry;1743063]You can't beat those Dodges.[/QUOTE$$$]

kayak15

Observer
Received my build sheet the other day from Chrysler:

Sales Code Description
T9 Deluxe Cloth 40/20/40 Bench Seat
ADJ Heavy Duty Service Group
AJK Convenience Group
APAS Monotone Paint
BANP 120 Amp Alternator
BCQS 750 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
BGJS Pwr Disc/Drum Rr Anti-Lock Brakes
BKBS Rear Drum Brakes
CBEP 40/20/40 Split Bench Seat
CGTS Driver Air Bag Only
CKQ Delete Carpet
CUVP Behind Seat Modular Storage System
CUYP Storage Tray
DGB All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DGRS 4-Spd. Automatic 46RH Transmission
DHAS Lock-Up Torque Converter
DHHS Shift-on-the-Fly, 241 Transfer Case
DJCS 195MM Front Axle
DMDS 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
DRGS Corporate 9.25 HD Rear Axle
EML 5.9L V8 MPI Engine
GACS Tinted Glass Windows
GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass
GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass
GFD Rear Sliding Window
GNAS Rear View Day/Night Mirror
GPUS Manual 6 x 9 Black Mirrors
GVAC All Vehicles W/O Power Mirrors
HAA Air Conditioning
HGBS Dash Liner Insulation
JAVS Instrument Cluster
JCBS 120 MPH Primary Speedometer
JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers
JJAS Cigar Lighter
JJFS Single Low Note Horn
LMAS Halogen Headlamps
LPEP Cargo Lamp
MBFP Bright Rear Bumper
MCTP Bright Front Bumper
MFDS Bright Grille
MHAS Black Windshield Moldings
MPFP Tailgate Top Protection Molding
MWDP Removable Tailgate w/Caliper Latches
NAAS Federal Emissions
NBKS EVAP Control System
NFVS 35 Gallon Fuel Tank
NHBP Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler
NHMP Speed Control
NMCP Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
PW7 Bright White Clear Coat
QW7S Bright White Clear Coat
RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles
RAS AM/FM Cassette Radio
RCDP 4 Speakers
SBAS Variable Assist Power Steering
SCBS 2-Spoke Steering Wheel
SFBS Front Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers
SGBS Rear Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers
SHAS Front Stabilizer Bar
SUAP Tilt Steering Column
TBB Full Size Spare Tire
TBMP Tire Carrier Winch
TYH LT245/75R16E BSW All Terrain Tires
TZAP Goodyear Brand Tires
WDC 16X6.5 Aluminum Wheels
WLYC All Steel Wheels
WMJP Center Hub
XBSS Pickup Box
XEFP Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield
YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications

Thought folks may like too see it. Took the camper shell off this am to start body work tomorrow. Go Panthers!!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
That was (mostly) sarcasm, but thanks for the info anyhow!

histerical.gif
I’ve always been a Dodge fan. I would rock a Dodge anytime. I just don’t happen to own any right now. I think it is Ford’s your thinking of….I don’t do Fords or have anything good to say about them.

….okay back to Chuck Rose the Truck

kayak15

Observer
I know that doing body work is about as exciting as watching paint dry but it all has to be done before cooler things can happen!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421634207.023369.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1421634221.620381.jpg

At least a little progress is being made. Chuck Rose has about 30 of these small spots and each of them are being addressed in about the same manner. Sand down to bare/clean metal, rattle can prime, rattle can white. Gotta get these finished before I install the fender flares and herculiner on the rockers that get here Monday or Tuesday. Gonna be a big week hopefully with a fresh oil change, herculiner on rockers, body spots worked on, and new front rotors and pads. First trip to Lake Lure this weekend. No dirt, but nice twisty mountain roads to play on.

Thanks for the interest and I will update more as things progress.

Kevin

kayak15

Observer
Progress is slow on Chuck Rose but any progress is better than nothing.

Mobil 1 10w30 high mileage full synthetic oil change done.

Front bumper removed and getting prepped for bedliner.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422664653.940711.jpg

New headlights installed

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422664681.126107.jpg

And the whole reason for Chuck Rose to be in our family. My youngest daughter taking her first nap while riding around town!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422664749.844733.jpg

Thanks and take care!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles