Ugly Duckling 99 Jeep WJ - Intro and build - Compact weekender/overlander

dan0

Adventurer
The plan right now is to keep the seat so that it can be a people mover if need be. Or maybe ditch the wide seat and leave the single seat.

The final version should the frame elevated a little bit so it will be above the seat if I do keep it.

I built that conservatively at 62" inches long right now, stretching it exactly I could probably get a little more. I laid across the open frame and it felt OK at a slight angle with knees bent just a little. I'm 5'11".

I've heard of taller people laying catty corner to gain extra space and it being comfortable.

This is the original thread I had found about a sleep platform. They have it listed at 67" measurement.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/sleeperjeep-removable-sleeping-platform-1569227/

dan0

Adventurer
Not much progress. Just been driving it as my daily while working on my other car.

Sadly I may have to sell it, since I can't seem to sell my other extra vehicle (2 months of craigslist, eBay, and forums) with getting nothing but scrap value offers. The Jeep would sell quicker than my other car (New Beetle)

dan0

Adventurer
I like buying vehicles finding deals, but HATE dealing with selling them.

I like to deal with email mostly, so I hate the emails I get from people that just give a phone number and say call me. And the people who say they want to come look at it and never follow through in setting something up. And probably worst of all the people who's first question is, "What's the lowest you'll take for it today" without even seeing the vehicle. Then you decide to oblige them and they respond back, "Is that the lowest you'll take?"

dan0

Adventurer
Windshield is getting replaced tomorrow.

Actually nearly had the Jeep sold yesterday until the pair that showed up looked at one last thing and found something else wrong with the Jeep. "Pop the hood again, I'll give you the determining factor right now." He wanted to check the head casting number to make sure it wasn't the one prone to cracking (0331 I think?) When they were looking for that, noticed a leak down one side of the radiator. It wasn't a perfect fit the the guy buying he didn't have much money and wanted the Jeep right away to put his wife in as a family hauler.

So got a couple other leads on selling my other car. So I'm really hoping it will work out to keep the Jeep. Either way I'll still be putting along working on the little issues and then working on the camping/expo style stuff.

dan0

Adventurer
More "housekeeping" stuff done today.

Installed Alpine CDE-143BT headunit. I got one of these a couple years back, nice little unit. CD player, bluetooth audio / mic for phone calls, usb in, headphone jack in. About $130, good value. I originally bought this to go in my New Beetle, then I bought my Audi and it was going to go in there (didn't work well with the Bose amplifiers), so I was going to sell it. Then I said ahh screw it it's going in the Jeep.

Removed grill to plasti-dip it black. I was going to do bed liner, but figured I'd have to buy bed liner and I have a thing of plasti-dip I bought a couple months ago and never used.

Removed headlight to fix it's leak so it's not always clouded with moisture inside. Going to heat it up, split the casing and then will figure something out to try to cover over the split/cracking on the outer lens.

Since my Audi is back operational (suspension work) I'll probably just leave it apart until I pony up and buy a new radiator and replace it. But tomorrow I hope to do an oil change and replace the oil pressure sender, and the throttle body flange.

------------------------------

Looking good! Ahh CRAP forgot to hookup the mic for phone calls. Out comes the heater controls and lower panel.

pic78.jpg

That's better, still going to find a way to keep it solid there. I'm thinking of drilling through the plastic of that tray to stick up a little post the microphone can sit down on.

pic79.jpg

Grill and headlight out. Going to cut up the bumper when I do the radiator, it's already got some cracks in it, so no loss there. Remove and pull back the wiring for the for the fogs, maybe I can re-use the wiring with some added relays for LED lights in the future.

pic80.jpg

dan0

Adventurer
Yeah I was able to sell the VW New Beetle I had, so this one gets to stay for now.

Hoping the job search works out in the next few weeks, then I can definitely keep it.

dan0

Adventurer
Trying to make it a little less ugly....

pic82.jpg

Four coats of plasti-dip, a little woozy not much ventilation up here.

pic83.jpg

And I've been trying to open the headlight to reseal it and coat over a few of it's cracks. But being stabbed in the hand twice so far has me re-thinking that. Maybe try looking for a cheap replacement.

CJustin7

Adventurer
You can get new ones cheap on Ebay and AliB. Or maybe try a pick and pull if there's a decent set there.

dan0

Adventurer
After some cleaning up in the backyard, I found this bed frame I had and thought what better start for the frame for my Jeep than to start with part of a bed frame. So I just started cutting and grinding, then realized after a while it was still way too tall for inside.

pic86.jpg

So now I will go back to the drawing board for real and plan something out before I just start cutting and welding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94