Ugly Duckling 99 Jeep WJ - Intro and build - Compact weekender/overlander

dan0

Adventurer
Crazy idea for my Jeep I had while fighting with the trailer hitch install. Since the gas tank support/skid is rusting and I'll eventually be going with a bigger tire that won't fit in the spare tire well. What about cutting it out, relocating the tank higher and build a new stronger skid / gas tank mount. Higher clearance in the rear.

Pipe dream since I can't weld for ****.

ShaneWJ04

Crazy idea for my Jeep I had while fighting with the trailer hitch install. Since the gas tank support/skid is rusting and I'll eventually be going with a bigger tire that won't fit in the spare tire well. What about cutting it out, relocating the tank higher and build a new stronger skid / gas tank mount. Higher clearance in the rear.

Pipe dream since I can't weld for ****.
Just wanted to say that I've been following this build for about two months now and I'm very excited to see how it turns out. As for the skid plate gas tank thing, I don't know much about cars but that sounds very difficult to do safely! Maybe I'm wrong but if there is any way you can relocate that tank and build a better skid plate for more clearance that would be awesome because I hate the way the low skid plate looks on my WJ!
Personally I'd replace the rusted one with a decent stock one from a pick a part, but that's just me. Let me know what happens!

dan0

Adventurer
Back in business... Kind of.

A few weeks ago my radiator started leaking more than the dribble it had been. I already had a new radiator in the box waiting. And since I was about to go to VT for a long weekend I started working on it a week before. got everything in and turns out the neck of the new radiator was broken.
-Take it out, put back in original hoping I can make the trip on that, nope.
-Send back radiator, wait for replacement.
-Replacement damaged
-Contact Summit Racing, third radiator sent. Thankfully it arrives undamaged because the representative noted extra packaging to the shipping department.
-Put radiator in, had some trouble getting the air bled out. think I have it put the front end back on, drive it 2 miles. Trans. fluid leaking. Hood release broken. Weekend camping number two missed.

Finally got around to working on it today. Got the hood released by pulling the cable just right reaching through the front grill. Top cooler line not tight enough. Tightened, ran up to temp, drove another 2 miles, ran more once home, no leaks so far. Finger crossed.

dan0

Adventurer
Well that didn't go well...

Drove to local park (White Memorial - Litchfield, CT) coolant boiled over.
Drove most of the way home, stopped. No boil over.
Drove last 4 miles home, steaming, temp rose to about 225+ not pegged.
Popped the hood, steaming from appears to be the thermostat housing.

dan0

Adventurer
Yeah the WJ has the cooling issue, the XJ I have had in my possession from my cousin I sold yesterday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior