Spring Lift on v10 Excursion

hrd2flw

I am building an Excursion and have been reading a lot of posts about using the V code and B code springs for lift. From what I can gather most of these are applied on diesel powered X's.

I don't need a lot of lift as I will only be running 35s (maybe 37s but I doubt it).

Vehicle will have:

ARB bumper, warn powerplant winch on the front.
Roof rack
Custom Rear Bumper with fuel and spare tire carrier
Rock Sliders
Undercarriage protection

Will a spring swap give me enough lift to meet my goals for tires and weight?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

BushHead

Adventurer
I'm running x-codes and a 2 1/2 inch spring pack lift on my V-10 X. Running 33's atm, could fit 35's but would probably have to trim the plastic wind splitter under the bumper to not rub. So IMO I don't think x or v codes alone would get you enough for 35's, at least with no rubbing.

bjm206

Adventurer
You are going to get conflicting answers because this is in the "it depends" zone. Several different tires sizes are referred to as 35" tires...depending on the tires actual size (true diameter and tread width) some will rub and others will not. If you change the rims then backspacing and width differences also will effect fitment. Your ARB bumper will make running 35" sizes easier. Gas or diesel you can absolutely get a V/B swapped Excursion to run 35" tires without rubbing. It will be a lot easier to do this if you add a mini spring pack to the V/B swap or ideally run a aftermarket front springs.

There are a lot of folks that have fitted 35" inch tires to leaf sprung V code Super Duties (Excursions/F250/F350). Follow one of the formulas that worked and you should be ok.

Last edited:

bjm206

Adventurer
Deaver springs have always been well regarded. I have also been happy with Icon springs in the past. Other folks may chime in with some good suggestions.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I can only attest to what I have seen and been involved in. When I installed my Old Man Emu kit onto my 2001 F-250, I gave my friend with a 2001, 7.3L Excursion my old springs. These were OEM F-250 springs with a mini spring pack in the front for a leveling kit.

After installing the springs on his X, he asked if we could mount up my 35"s so that he could get a feel for what they would look like. He couldn't turn his wheel even a quarter turn without the tires hitting in a couple of different spots. As has been stated, true tire size, wheel backspacing etc all comes into play and will have an outcome with your results. This was with a Pro-Comp 35" that was a 34", a short 34" at that.

As far as where to get them. You can't go wrong with Deaver, but if you want a true OEM spring I've had great luck with Gene at Tousley Ford. They have changed their name, but if you call the parts counter and ask for the Ford Truck Forum discount they will hook you up. Even with shipping, his price was substantially less than my local Ford dealership with a "Good guy" hook up. You can find his contact info in my build thread titled Waltzing Matilda here in the Domestic section. I just had to contact them again for an OEM part and they were almost half off on the item.

Good luck

98dango

Expedition Leader
X are just lower I ran 35s on my stock super duty 3" lift looks perfect. I would call icon and talk to them

Boog2001

Family Adventurer
I'm running 285/75 16 KM2's and I rub under full turn and flex, but not enough for daily driving. I'm too looking to move up to 35's or 37's but I'm thinking I'll do some cut-out flares instead of lift to keep the truck as low as possible.

gohuge

Observer
Icon 5/7 inch lift...best riding spring lift (Deaver copies). Might have to run airbags when loaded, soft springs. Best way to go, imho, would be to do the fab work, load it, weigh it and then call Atlas spring in So Cal to get custom springs made. This is the route I have settled on. Avoid Pro Comp, my current lift, the ride is not good. You get what you pay for....

AZ_Ray

Observer
I have an ICON 7" lift in mine and run 37's with ever so little rub at full flex. Also they ride really nice. Just thought I'd add my .02

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke