New 1990 Range Rover project

baja5337

Observer
I wanted to document the progress I'll will be making on a new project I picked up.
My first experience in the Rover world was when I bought a really nicely outfitted 1989 Classic from my dealerships shop foreman, about 10 years ago. It had RTE lift springs, castor corrected radius arms, HD trailing arms, lt230 tcase, great basin rovers hd 24 spline rear axles and flanges, ARB's front and rear, winch bumper with a warm m8000, sliders, rear bumper ect.. I absolutely loved that truck and it took a beating and kept ticking. I rolled it in Moab during one trip so the body was a bit bruised but it kept running and I wheeling that truck all over utah for almost 2 years before I sold it. I have always missed it, and at one point almost bought it back from the current owner but decided I'd had my fun in it.

Now to present day, I sold my 76 IH Scout II project that I decided was not quiet right for what I wanted to do. I was looking through the local ads and the thought crossed my mind to text the shop foreman I bought the '89 from and see if he had any leads on a cheap Classic project. He responded by saying in fact he had one that he was thinking about selling and I could come look at it if I wanted. It was a 1990 that had been parked 8 years ago by the previous owner due to a failed down pipe that made the truck sound like a hot rod, and a broken windshield that prevented it from passing a safety inspection. The trucks body is in pretty good shape, the paint is very faded however, but there is practically no rust which is hard to find in Utah due to the salt we use on the roads in the winter.

A deal was struck and I had the Classic towed to my house to begin revival steps! I replaced the bad fuel pump and got it started. Pulled the downpipe and welded it back together so it sounds like it's supposed to again. Next steps are to replace the horribly rotted tires, I have ordered a set of 235/85 Super Swamper Irok ND's for it, and get the windshield replaced so I can register it.

After that I want to put some OME springs and do the HD trailing arms on it. And then slowly build a copy of my old 89, but try to keep the body straight on this one haha!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 51

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Dude, that thing is a gem. Original Classics like that are going up in value... if you're looking for an off road beater I would have to advise you to find something more rough. Dont knwo what you paid, but if you gave it a good compounding, fixed the few items, and got it running properly you could probably double your money.

I dont even remember the last time I saw a set of original bare alloy 3 spoke wheels.

baja5337

Observer
Dude, that thing is a gem. Original Classics like that are going up in value... if you're looking for an off road beater I would have to advise you to find something more rough. Dont knwo what you paid, but if you gave it a good compounding, fixed the few items, and got it running properly you could probably double your money.

I dont even remember the last time I saw a set of original bare alloy 3 spoke wheels.

Thanks, it's really not that clean but I don't plan on destroying it offroad like I did the 89. I love the three spoke wheels too

baja5337

Observer
Stopped into Great Basin Rovers Friday and the crew there got me set up with a set of medium duty OME springs and some Bilsteins.

The weather was supposed to be in the high 30's so I decided to get started on installing them

I am really pleased with how rust free this rig is. Can't wait to get it on the road

baja5337

Observer
The previous owners had at some point installed a small lift on it, it had a 1" rear spacer and I think had some Disco rear springs up front (white paint marks on them).

Comparing rear springs

Installed

Installed front and rear

JSBriggs

Adventurer
If you thinking about repainting, dont. You will be surprised how well that origional paint will come back to life with a bit of buffing.

-Jeff

baja5337

Observer
Got the tires mounted up. Drove it to work. For the first time in nearly ten years the Rover is on the road. Drove surprisingly well!

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Really like the look of that set up. Tell me does it get much worse mileage than my 15mpg S10 blazer? I might need to get rid of this thing.

czenkov

Adventurer
Nice. My Portofino red 90 buffed out real nice like that too...but I had to do it about yearly to keep it looking like that. Once the paint oxidizes it doesn't hold well. Looks great! Nice RRC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior