'05 Silverado 1500HD vs 3/4 ton

1stDeuce

Explorer
Another plus of the 1500 is the possibility of quadrasteer. I don't remember that being available on 2500s. Really wish they would have continued with that tech.

Oh true dat!! If you can find a quadrasteer truck with lower miles, they are awesome!! I think they were all crew cab "1500" trucks, which were the same as the slightly later 1500HD. Or perhaps they were 1500HD models too? There's one down the street, I'll have to look. :)

And the front brakes are the same on the 1500HD and 2500HD trucks. The rears might be a little bigger on the 2500, but probably not enough to make a difference. If you find a good deal, just consider it a cheap 2500HD with better highway gearing. :) And the 1500HD's are fairly rare.

Littlehouse

Adventurer
I think of expensive future repairs when I see a quadrasteer. I wouldn't want one.

Have you heard of any problems? I can't remember hearing of any problems, but maybe I'm out of the loop. I thought they stopped making it because of the initial cost. Now that we have trucks that cost $70k, I don't see why they wouldn't bring it back. Who wouldn't want a truck with the turning circle of a car.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Have you heard of any problems? I can't remember hearing of any problems, but maybe I'm out of the loop. I thought they stopped making it because of the initial cost. Now that we have trucks that cost $70k, I don't see why they wouldn't bring it back. Who wouldn't want a truck with the turning circle of a car.

I have heard of zero problems, and I no nothing about them. I just like like adding moving parts and complexity to something that is not needed. IMO it was a solution in search of a problem. They may be bulletproof, I just wouldn't want one.

snowaddict91

Adventurer
I have heard of zero problems, and I no nothing about them. I just like like adding moving parts and complexity to something that is not needed. IMO it was a solution in search of a problem. They may be bulletproof, I just wouldn't want one.

Always been my mentality as well. But, the more time I spend driving around the city in my f250, the more appeal quadrasteer has! Lol

1stDeuce

Explorer
We beat the living tar out of a few of them at work and had no issues at all. Driving down the road it doesn't do much for me, but put a trailer on the back and back up and it's like using a giant "EZ Button"!! :) Of coarse having the turning circle if a Jeep isn't so bad either!! I think it would be a big improvement for offroad use due to the huge increase in maneuverability. The people who have them don't seem to sell them, that's for sure!! The original option price was $4000 IIRC, but the later reduced it to $2000. As stated above, given that an average truck is over $40k now, $2000 seems like a pretty cheap option for something that makes a giant truck as easy to maneuver as a little Jeep. :)

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
The gassers are almost all the same drive train components other than semi floater vs full floater...both are still insanely better than the half ton axle. The semi floater isnt inherently weak.
another factor to consider is registration...its registered as a half ton. When I registered my 2500hd it wasn't cheap. And I couldn't avoid emissions at all whereas the 1500hd would have been cheaper and locally emissions would be less frequent.
also cab height is lower with the 1500hd. It doesn't have the 2" taller frame that the 2500hd has.
really the 1500hd and the dodge 1500 mega cab (3/4 ton components including solid front axle) are my two favorite domestic full size rigs

AZOR

Thanks for everyone's input. Sounds like both trucks will be up to the job of hauling a pop up. I really appreciate the shared knowledge of folks here. T
Knowing what I do now, having options will be beneficial (hopefully to my wallet).:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94