'05 Silverado 1500HD vs 3/4 ton

AZOR

Hello all,
I'm about a year away from shopping for a pickup/popup camper, so I've been casually looking around. I need a 4wd and am looking for a 3/4 ton p/u so I won't be overloaded with a pop up. I noticed a 1500HD for sale locally and did some quick web research and it looks like the payload is about 2800lbs. The camper will be a lighter weight camper (hopefully not over 2k wet). I have a few other vehicles that I don't want to part with, so the p/u combo will be mainly for camping and snowboarding trips (as well as infrequent chores). Therefore, it doesn't make much sense to drop a bunch of money into a sweet diesel.

So to all the experts here;

-What would be the advantage of a higher payload capacity 1500HD over a regular gas 2500? This may be a moot point if they are hard to find.

Thanks to all who contribute to this great forum.

My current vehicles
-98 Land cruiser 100 series (This one is a keeper, when my 1 year old turns 16, it'll be there for him)
-14 Forester ( I need an awd high mpg for work- I put about 200 biz miles per week)
-11 Chevy Cruze - wife's
-94 HiLo 19' trailer (nice but will sell to get camper)

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I don't think you could get a 2500 in 2005? I think the once the 2500hd's came abought around early 2000, they phased out the 2500's and then they needed a crewcab 1/2 ton truck to compete with ford so they basically used a 2500hd truck with older 2500 suspension and axles. I agree on not buying the diesel, they are just not worth it unless you need the torque for pulling a load IMO.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
We had a 2003 1500HD in our family for several years. We used it on the farm for hauling cattle, hay, tractors, equipment, etc. Never let us down other than some eventual front end wear (most likely due to being worked so hard and in lots of mud over the years). The 6.0L is a strong motor that loved fuel (12-14 mpg). I like the back seat configuration of the GMT-800 series crew cabs best - the lower cushions fold forward and the seat backs fold flat to create a HUGE flat storage area. If you've spent much time in those trucks, you also know that the seats are like big easy chairs - most comfortable trucks I've ever been in. I'd recommend this configuration or the 2500HD equivalent to you if you're in the market for something like that. Our 1500HD was sold to some family friends with 148k miles on it. I think it's got about 190k on it now and they still work it just as hard as we ever did!

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
Personally, I would hold out for the 2500HD. the full floater rear axle is a nice upgrade over the semi floater in the 1500HD. You can also get the 8.1L engine in the 2500HD, which I would recommend. The fuel penalty is negligible (if there even is one). My dad has a 2500HD with the 8.1 and 190k mi (he's put over 150k on it) and its had 0 issues. He gets between 15-17 freeway depending on conditions (chip, exhaust, better air filter and 33s). As I understood it, the 1500HD is essentially the same cab and chassis, but with a lighter GVW designation, only the 6.0, and only semi float rear axle.

1stDeuce

Explorer
The difference between the 1500HD and 2500HD of that era is that the 1500 has 3.73 axle gearing and a semi-floater rear axle, while the 2500 has 4.10 gearing and a full floater 14 bolt.
The 1500 also had slightly softer springs in the back, which is easy to remedy with some airbags, or an extra main leaf if you're carrying the camper a lot.
The semi-floater rear axle isn't as strong as the FF, but will likely last 200k miles or more anyway, and it has at least an inch more ground clearance under the pumpkin, which is nice.

I wouldn't run away from a 1500HD unless you really want 4.10 gearing. (4.10's would be nice with 285's or larger, but probably not necessary.)
And I own an '05 CCSB, and will agree that this is the best interior that GM did. (Seats are comfy instead of rock hard, HUGE back seat area, and HUGE flat area if you fold them down.)
Chris

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Another vote for the 2500 or 3500 for a camper. Remember, the rule of thumb is that a typical camper carries some 1500lb of food, water, clothes, junk, toys. I have seen lots of posts about people trying to increase the load carrying ability of their trucks, but very few going the other way.

As always, YMMV.

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
The difference between the 1500HD and 2500HD of that era is that the 1500 has 3.73 axle gearing and a semi-floater rear axle, while the 2500 has 4.10 gearing and a full floater 14 bolt.

FWIW, lots of 2500 HD trucks, including my dad's 02 and good buddies 03 have 3.73 rear gears (both with gov-locks too).

brian90744

American Trekker
1500 HD Chevy truck

I have a 03 1500 HD crew cab 8 lug wheels, 6 Lt engine, it is the same as 2500, same Frame, front and rear springs. Also check if the truck you are looking at has HydroBoost Brakes system, this is a HD feature, you cant go wrong if the price is right. just FYI=brian

Attachments

• 2003 chevy 7.jpg
    2003 chevy 7.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 26
  • northstar 2.jpg
    northstar 2.jpg
    529.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Northstar camping 2.jpg
    Northstar camping 2.jpg
    598.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

AZOR

Thanks for all the great info!

Glad to hear that the 6.0 is reliable. Also great info on interior comfort. That's something I don't think about until months after I bought vehicle. Poking around the net I don't see that many of these for sale but when the time comes, I will keep an eye out for the 1500HD. I'll back looking at a used lighter weight pop ups (fwc or atc) so either a 1500HD or 3/4 ton will be plenty of truck.

Thanks to everyone on this forum, my search has been expanded.:smiley_drive:
Once I purchase, I'll start a thread

1stDeuce

Explorer
FWIW, lots of 2500 HD trucks, including my dad's 02 and good buddies 03 have 3.73 rear gears (both with gov-locks too).

Only with the diesel, or perhaps an 8.1. As far as I know, all 6.0L 2500HD's came with 4.10 axles, or at least they did after 2003. And ALL 1500HD's are 6.0l trucks with 3.73 gears. And ALL Duramax trucks came with 3.73. Not sure what the 8.1L got.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I vote for the 2500 and it's larger components especially stouter rotors,calipers and pads. Emergency collision avoidance can't stressed.

chaos616

Adventurer
Seems to me there would be more 2500 & 2500HD trucks out there than the 1500HD but I could be wrong, whats the price difference. If the 1500HD is a good deal then why not. That being said I bought the 3/4 ton truck specifically for the heavier components and I don't haul that much, but i've never had anything break off road, just regular wear and tear. I would say if price was similar the 2500HD's are a good truck.

Littlehouse

Adventurer
I have a 03 1500 HD crew cab 8 lug wheels, 6 Lt engine, it is the same as 2500, same Frame, front and rear springs. Also check if the truck you are looking at has HydroBoost Brakes system, this is a HD feature, you cant go wrong if the price is right. just FYI=brian

Another plus of the 1500 is the possibility of quadrasteer. I don't remember that being available on 2500s. Really wish they would have continued with that tech.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne