storage pack for spare wheel well in trunk?

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel
Not quite an expedition part, but a custom bag made to fit into a spare tire. This one was made by Atlantic Design for Miatas back in the early 90s. It's got foam in the sides to give it some shape and keep the contents from rattling. Unfortunately it is pretty small, as it's made for 14" wheels. And it's also long out of production. But it would be easy to make something similar.

SNC11687.jpg

SNC11694.jpg

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
My dad had something very similar for his Volvo 242 GT back in the day. It was made by a Swedish company and fit into a 15" wheel. I'm sure tracking one down today would be impossible. It was made of vinyl and was already starting to crack and that was 20years ago.

n4585k

I can pick up just a bit of what they saying from my Afrikaans. Some very nice ideas there. Really like their Defender seat covers and the body bag duffel bags. Prices aren't too bad if the quality is really that good, not sure how you would order them for here. Me I'll probably just use some of the ideas when I sew things up for myself.

I have ordered 2 different bags from them (I'm in Europe). Will report back on the quality once I get them...

rayra

Expedition Leader
It woul dbe REAL easy to duplicate those hat-box style round bags, with a sewing machine. I just did something quit elike it, sewing a cover for a large telescope A cylindircal bag with a drawstring edge and a round top/bottom. One could make it any size you want to fit inside your spare.
I'd thought the OP was talking about needing something similar, thought it was going inside the rim of a spare, in the spare's stowage location. Rather the larger stowage compartment itself. Or have I still got that wrong?
I like the idea of lining it with foam or even maybe neoprene / wetsuit material, would indeed cut down any noise from loose tools.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I'd thought the OP was talking about needing something similar, thought it was going inside the rim of a spare, in the spare's stowage location. Rather the larger stowage compartment itself. Or have I still got that wrong?
I like the idea of lining it with foam or even maybe neoprene / wetsuit material, would indeed cut down any noise from loose tools.
Sorry I should have been clearer in explaining, I can see where I didn't explain myself properly. I no longer have the spare tire in the space I'm describing. I'm running larger than stock tires so I'm now using that space for storage. Like I said before, it's not a perfectly round space that's left, it's a space that has a square bottom and a round top (looking at it from above). You'll see what I mean when I finally post pictures, just waiting on my maglite clips to come in and finish organizing the contents in the bag.

When I'm done I'd like to be able to simply hook up the trailer and head out without needing to pack anything else besides food. I'll definitely get there with this setup with room to spare.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Not quite an expedition part, but a custom bag made to fit into a spare tire. This one was made by Atlantic Design for Miatas back in the early 90s. It's got foam in the sides to give it some shape and keep the contents from rattling. Unfortunately it is pretty small, as it's made for 14" wheels. And it's also long out of production. But it would be easy to make something similar.

SNC11687.jpg

SNC11694.jpg

Those were the first thing I thought of too. I had the whole set for my '94 - Spare bag, decklid bag, etc.

Shlaytim

AZBADAZ
I was at the Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday looking around and while in the cooking equipment area I saw a bag designed for dutch ovens to fit into. This got me thinking one could easily fit this inside the wheel area. They were like $20 iirc and seemed very well made.Only downside was no divided pockets inside, but one could come up with something to keep it organized. just my $.02

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I was at the Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday looking around and while in the cooking equipment area I saw a bag designed for dutch ovens to fit into. This got me thinking one could easily fit this inside the wheel area. They were like $20 iirc and seemed very well made.Only downside was no divided pockets inside, but one could come up with something to keep it organized. just my $.02

That's a great idea. Also, I need these for my dutch ovens...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94