Security, Lock Box, Safe....Whatever you wanna call it- Let's see your pics

Pax2525

Adventurer
Tried doing a search for this and found some stuff but it was all scattered. Can we start a picture thread of actual vehicle safes being installed/ used?

You can be as secretive as you feel needed but I would love to see some real life examples of whats being used.

I am looking for my 4runner so I am looking for ideas.

Thanks for the posts! I always appreciate the time taken to do so

Dazrin

Adventurer
Mine is at the design/brainstorming stage, but here are a couple threads that I am using for inspiration:
Fort Knox console safe for 80 series Landcruiser (not LX450): http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fort-knox-console-mod.606029/
Steel Armadillo locking center console mod for Jeep Commander (and others?): http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12782 - Saw this mentioned in a thread here, but there are much better pics/details in the linked thread.

My plan is to build something like the Steel Armadillo option for my 80 (just a locking lid), but since there isn't a lip to grab onto in the 80 it will require some drilling into the console. I don't really need the full safe and don't want to give up the space.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Google:
Console Vault
Lock'er Down

They make drop-in safes for 2nd gen Tacoma center consoles.

ETA:
http://www.consolevault.com/Toyota-4-Runner-2003--2009_p_86.html

Depending on your 4Runner generation:
console-vault-toyota-4runner-closed.jpg

RAFoutdoors

Retired Explorer
I have had two "console vaults" in two of my Tahoes. One was a 2004 and now I have a 2013. Quality is excellent and installation was very quick and easy. The first had a key lock and my current one uses a 4 digit combo you set. My current one even has the USB port that ties into the port in the console. I called the company with questions and they were very helpfull. Good luck

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I got a good deal on a JK/specific lock box, and i was able to adapt it to fit in my van:

8fnUbcol.jpg

5pyVL6sl.jpg

I mostly use this for locking up the phones and the navigation tablet when I'm off hiking or down on the beach. Not 100% security and I wouldn't store critical items there long-term, but beats the plastic doghouse glove-box for security. It's mounted such that you'd have to unbolt the driver's seat to remove it, and you'd have to unbolt my fridge mount/cabinet from the van to get THAT out.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Tuffy makes several different boxes that might be adapted.

312_01_ANM.gif

100_2_.jpg

I have a Tuffy center console in my pickup. It's large enough that I can put a 15" MacBook Pro in it, although just barely. I don't know if there's anyway to fit one these universal boxes into a more recent 4Runner or Tacoma without it looking bad, but they fit awesome into 80-95 trucks and 4Runners and the 1st gen Tacoma.

94_2_.jpg

They also make tactical and large police locking boxes for rifles and shotguns.

494_1_.jpg

v_man

Explorer
I too use a Tuffy box in my 90 'Runner ... a few pics:

IMG_3585_zps00f41a20.jpg

IMG_3586_zps8e9f3a81.jpg

IMG_3587_zps5e1f3a65.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it , although I had to learn to be careful not to bang my elbows on it ... that hurts . Also a side note: I tried to get a spare key made to unlock the box , and 3 different key making places could not copy the key , they said it was some kind of 'special' key not easy to duplicate . So be careful not to lose the key you get !

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
:coffee:you can get copies for that key directly from Tuffy.
Your key should have a number printed on it...

rayra

Expedition Leader
It's unstated in the OP, but if anyone is considering a console safe with the notion that it would be perfect for temporary firearms stowage be aware that CA and other states with an excess of government have ruled that handguns must be kept in locked containers but then go on to deliberately exclude glove compartments and center consoles.
That said, I like those console vaults a lot.

I've also used a mini GunVault on it's steel cable leash looped around the seat hardware. Least-worst option for me at the time. CA also fails to legally define 'container' and I often used padlocks on the zipper pulls of cordura-nylon bags. Even my issue seabag at times, figuring I'd argue it in court when I had to.

btw, the new 2015 Tahoes have a nice factory storage compartment in the rear, but it doesn't have a lock mechanism on it.

20140503_163605.jpg

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
I've had this safe for about 20 years, in several vehicles (all 4Runners ???). The front is 3/16" steel with Simplex lock, rest is 10 ga (or better). Weighs about 15 lbs. It's bolted through the floor with 3 3/8" bolts into an 1/8" steel plate with nuts welded to it (bolt heads are inside the box). You'd have to steal the truck and cut this out with a torch to get it open. When the door is shut it isn't visible from outside the vehicle. I had to notch the seat support, and since I have a 2002 4Runner Limited, I had to remove the seat motor (fixed position seat - just for me!) to mount it under the seat.

I don't think this particular safe is still made but Fort Knox has some similar. http://www.ftknox.com/product/personal-pistol-box-2/ This might go in a console space (bolted through the floor of course).

The Simplex lock has 2500 combinations, is easy to use, and makes 'whatever' quickly accessible for those in states that require storage. It's big enough for a DSLR, phones, etc.

My carpet really is dirty!
DSC_1798_zpse083b916.jpg

DSC_1796_zpsf5e644fd.jpg

DSC_1797_zps7b12357d.jpg

Expedition Leader
I have two; useful in the summer when the hard top is off. A Tuffy center console, and an old Con-Ferr box behind the seats. The tuffy is easily big enough for cameras or a laptop. I use the Con-Ferr box mostly for tools.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz