Rear Brake Lights - Lower GEN3

cnutco

Adventurer
Has anyone replaced these on the GEN3 with anything other than another brake light? I have been thinking about making a bracket for a single row LED light to be used as reverse lights.

I have recently broke my right lower housing departing a slope with an angle that my big Montero *** could not handle. The bumper itself bounced back to its original form as you can see in the photo.

c00bbf7abca23fffc53686a0150af4e4.jpg

I have had plans for a custom rear bumper when this OE bumper looses the battle, however, this thing takes a pretty good beating.

Thanks for any input,
Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

montypower

Adventure Time!
Wow, your bumper is in great shape still. It needs more trail time. I wouldn't spend any money on lights for that bumper if you use it off road. Both my factory lights are busted. Put the money toward a bumper then add lights.

cnutco

Adventurer
Wow, your bumper is in great shape still. It needs more trail time. I wouldn't spend any money on lights for that bumper if you use it off road. Both my factory lights are busted. Put the money toward a bumper then add lights.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. I don't want to buy new OE lights, but would like to fill the hole with something. I may just glue the housing back together and stick it back in.

Do you have a build thread some where. I am interested in your skids and you running 35's.

cnutco

Adventurer
I decided to just put the original light back in with the help of some JB Weld.

561b60cfa491cd5e32f786290265122c.jpg

f1d76e599e3e3814425b21fcbb67f12d.jpg

28b139fe3523ae856392f750c9b9aecb.jpg

One day I will have a custom bumper, but till then, I will keep beating the heck out of this one.

cnutco

Adventurer
Looks good man. I thought about adding some of these to my bumper for added reverse light Nilight 2pcs 18w 3x3 Dually Flush Mount Cree LED Light Lamps Dually D2 Off Road 4x4 4wd Jeep Truck F150 Tacoma Bumper 3" Flood https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J5AAX5S/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_bkzSub1KK8KPK

Yeah, that was a thought of mine too. I still might in the future. Yesterday I purchased new LED bulbs for all the lights on the rear including the reverse lights. Hope they make a difference!

jhill15

Explorer
The reverse lights will definitely make a difference, the brake lights and parking lights may be less impressive. I had an xterra before the montero and swapped all my brake lights, 3rd stop and parking and they were all less bright with leds, I couldnt understand why cause the leds were bright as hell and I think it was the red lens that made them look dimmer. Afterwards I read that when swapping to leds to always use an led thats the same color as the lens for maximum brightness. I havent tried cause I didnt want to spend anymore on led bulbs at the time so now I just swap all the bulbs that have clear lenses. Post up some pics when you get em swapped out!

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
I came across some led lights on Amazon a
while back that had flange mounts. Might be worth a look.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

cnutco

Adventurer
The reverse lights will definitely make a difference, the brake lights and parking lights may be less impressive. I had an xterra before the montero and swapped all my brake lights, 3rd stop and parking and they were all less bright with leds, I couldnt understand why cause the leds were bright as hell and I think it was the red lens that made them look dimmer. Afterwards I read that when swapping to leds to always use an led thats the same color as the lens for maximum brightness. I havent tried cause I didnt want to spend anymore on led bulbs at the time so now I just swap all the bulbs that have clear lenses. Post up some pics when you get em swapped out!

I ordered the LEDs to match the lens color. Thankfully, the website I ordered from suggested it. I will take before and after picks as soon as I can.

MascotRejct

Adventurer
I noticed when I changed my side markers to the LED's that I had ordered that they were dimmer. I also tried replacing the 3rd brake light with the LED's and it was noticeably dimmer. Let us know how it looks with the red LED's!

cnutco

Adventurer
Will do, they are due in tomorrow sometime. I will take a before and after with the same camera settings. Although, I do have some lights not working, hence the change, but I think you should still be able to notice.

This is what I am waiting for along with how many leds per unit, the brightness, and the location. I did not purchase any turn signals at this time.

PRODUCT(S)
Qty - Product
5 - WLED-R9-CBT Red (9 leds at 130 lumens) 3rd brake light and the lower two in tail light housing
2 - 7440-WHP28-T Cool White (28 leds at 550 lumens) Reverse lights
2 - 7443-RHP28-T Red (28 leds at 550 lumens) Main tail/brake lights
2 - 7443-R45-T Red (45 leds at 220 lumens) Lower two in the bumper

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior