Japanese heavy trucks with low miles?

Jfet

Adventurer
I have started the hunt for a 25,950 GVWR cabover to replace our 19,500 GVWR Isuzu NRR. A GMC T-7500 or the Isuzu or Mitsu equivalent.

I want to stick with pre 2008 (which isn't too hard since they seem to have stopped importing them to the USA after 2008). Occasionally I notice a very low mileage vehicle, like a 2006 with 4,400 miles. These usually have a fairly high price tag commiserate with the low mileage.

What is your opinion of this? On the one hand, low mileage like that probably means not too much abuse could have been done to the frame/steering components, but I wonder how the vehicle was serviced if it was only used for 4,400 miles over 8 years. Did they only change the oil and fuel filters once every 4 years? Did the engine sit idle for 3 years?

I am cautious to pay a premium price for a 6 cylinder Isuzu or Duramax engine only to find it needs 6 new injectors and a fuel pump because it sat unused. Is this a unreasonable worry for ultra low mileage vehicles?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I guess that it comes down to what the function of the truck was.
Here in Australia it is not uncommon to find older Canter and Isuzu trucks with very low mileage. Normally these are ex Rural Fire Service trucks and are in pretty good condition for their age. Given that these were emergency services vehicles, maintenance was normally done diligently (for obvious reasons).
Whether or not the same would be true for the vehicles you are looking at is debatable, but it is a possibility.

unkamonkey

Explorer
They are out there, just keep looking. I bought my FG when it was 6 years old, 18,000 miles. Now it is 22 1/2 years old, 68,000 miles.
Barely broken in.
I know it isn,t in the GVW you are looking for but there must something out there.

riptilyaflip

These trucks will easily go 4-500,000 miles, so at 15-16,000 miles per year, they will probably go more years than you will own them. They're not even broke in until 50,000.
Find one that's been well maintained with 150-160,000 and I'll bet it would serve you well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94