outback97's 2006 Xterra

outback97

Adventurer
I did the SMOD bypass several weeks ago. A while after that I noticed a slight leak that I think is AT fluid, so I'm still trying to track down exactly where that is coming from. I need to remove the Shrockworks engine skid so I can poke around a bit more under there, but need to remove a bolt that's currently stuck spinning the unwelded weld nut in the crossmember. Stupid rust!

Well, I cut the head of that spinning bolt off with a dremel...

I had sprayed the other one with some PB blaster hoping that it would come out easy. It did not.

Sheared the damn bolt right off. Wasn't even wrenching on it that hard.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do. I have a hole on the passenger side and welded nut with the threads of a bolt stuck in it on the driver's side. Drill out larger holes in the crossmember and rivnut?

outback97

Adventurer
Have acquired some rivnuts and bolt extractor. This weekend's project is to end up with two new or one new and one reclaimed threaded holes!

outback97

Adventurer
Well, the rivnuts were the ticket. Got the first one installed smoothly, it was pretty easy.

Then I broke the bolt extractor off inside the drilled out bolt.

Ended up drilling this and enlisting the help of the BFH to knock the weld nut out.

So now I have two rivnuts in the rear crossmember. Hopefully they hold up well. I used a generous serving of anti seize when reinstalling the skid plate.

DD196

Observer
Eesh... is everything that rusty underneath in SLC? Looks like back east rust (almost).

Glad you got it worked out.

outback97

Adventurer
Eesh... is everything that rusty underneath in SLC? Looks like back east rust (almost).

Glad you got it worked out.

Well it is SALT lake city :(

I think the problem with the weld nuts is that the rear crossmember was absolutely packed with sand, keeping any moisture in there too. Guessing the previous owner of my Xterra passed through some sand traps. Or a river or two. But actually, most of it is surface rust and not that bad.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Everybody's picking up the AT-3s it seems like, they're a great tire, I'm sure you'll enjoy them. :) Stuff like that skidplate battle has been my MO the past few weeks, but once it's done it gives you good piece of mind. Plus a chance to try out all the new swearing techniques you pick up on the playground. :sombrero:

outback97

Adventurer
Everybody's picking up the AT-3s it seems like, they're a great tire, I'm sure you'll enjoy them. :) Stuff like that skidplate battle has been my MO the past few weeks, but once it's done it gives you good piece of mind. Plus a chance to try out all the new swearing techniques you pick up on the playground. :sombrero:

I have to say it was satisfying solving a problem with a large hammer. Of course the problem was caused by me (breaking off the bolt extractor). Definitely a learning and swearing experience!

Looking forward to our second trip on the A/T3's this weekend, going to do some desert exploring. Very pleased with them so far.

Blind_Io

Adventurer
Great looking X.

Please remove the mudflaps as they are a magnet for inconveniently placed rocks. In other words, take them off before the trail takes them!

Also, google "diff breather mod thenewx.org" and do that.

Is your truck manual or auto? If auto, google "smod thenewx.org"
If it hasn't already been done, you should probably do the radiator bypass mod. (auto trans ONLY)

Finally, post some more pics!

Here is a kit: http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/diff-breather-kit/

Were you the red X on the UXOC Pony Express run this year?

outback97

Adventurer
Here is a kit: http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product/diff-breather-kit/

Were you the red X on the UXOC Pony Express run this year?

Thanks for the link, I still need to do that. Not sure if I'll go with that kit or put something together myself.

No, unfortunately I wasn't able to attend although I wanted to. Must have been somebody else. We have done some smaller day trips out to the west desert and I like it out there. That weekend I was working on fixing some stuff on the X IIRC. It's more road trip worthy now that I've fixed some stuff!

If you ever see a red 2006 with Zion plates, that's ours... I live in Murray but don't drive it every day.

outback97

Adventurer
One of the reasons I wanted an Xterra was to be able to carry a mountain bike inside, something I can't (easily) do with our Subaru. Because my bike is really big, most of the solutions I saw online wouldn't work very well, at least not if you wanted to be able to slide both front seats all the way back. This allows me to do that.

I used a piece of plywood and some carriage bolts with a Kuat Dirtbag 15mm fork mount to mount my bike. The plywood mounts to the utilitrack with some eye bolts, nuts, washers, and 3/8" spring nuts for channel strut. As a bonus, pushing the button on my dropper seat post raises the seat firmly up into the ceiling and adds another point of contact.

This allows me to fit my XL 29'er (Stumpjumper FSR, which has a pretty long wheelbase) in the rear and still have the passenger seat fully slid back. There is about 1/4" gap between the rear tire and the back of the passenger seat.

I like how stable and secure it is. I don't like that you have to remove the bike mount to access the under cargo storage, but for now I just don't put anything in there that I'm likely to want in a hurry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz