What's your number one most useful cooking item?

KevinsMap

Adventurer
Not all my "toys" are new. This one I grew up using; our families car-camping table. Yes, the very same folding table in this picture. Circa pre-1960, approximately. Everyone had one, once, at the San Onofre Surfing Club; there were competitions to see who could set one up fastest, tablecloth with clips included, then pack it away again. Winners were timed in seconds, and only a few seconds at that. Beginners tended to need first aid.

I still use it, most trips. Not really a toy, at that ;-)

IMG_1253.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Not all my "toys" are new. This one I grew up using; our families car-camping table. Yes, the very same folding table in this picture. Circa pre-1960, approximately. Everyone had one, once, at the San Onofre Surfing Club; there were competitions to see who could set one up fastest, tablecloth with clips included, then pack it away again. Winners were timed in seconds, and only a few seconds at that. Beginners tended to need first aid.

View attachment 300376
Same color Kermits as ours; you have good taste...

Honu

lost on the mainland
what tarp tent setup is that ?

View attachment 300376

KevinsMap

Adventurer
Well, I do cook under the veranda quite often, so I suppose it belongs here too

As you can see below, it's a modified center pole design; A Sunforger treated canvas, 7oz. army duck David Ellis Torrent Tent. It is customized for our needs, with one-half the tent converted into a large open veranda that can be raised or lowered to contend with weather... and makes possible those Swedish pancakes, cooked on the veranda in a hailstorm :) True story, and more than once, because there is something about hail and snow that brings out the Swede in my wife :) The total footprint is 12'x14', with the enclosed part 7'x12'.

IMG_1244.jpg

I cannot say enough good things about this tent. It folds very compactly for its size, easily packing into our Jeep, and is quite light - roughly 30lbs - but luxurious beyond belief. It is a true "Storm Rider", including an entire night of sustained 40mph winds (50+mph gusts) in Death Valley last year. That storm took out power for 50 miles around, and cleared out or leveled nearly every tent in that area. No damage at all - It is beautifully constructed, in Durango Colorado. It is cool in full sun and warm in cold wind, and fully screened for pesky critters. It goes up in 15min, 30 for storm stakes.

Taking it down is more like 45 minutes; canvas likes to be cleaned and folded. We have "put it away wet", literally, when we were forced to by circumstances; it's actually much faster but no fun. Very heavy and you must store a canvas tent dry, and that means a stop to set it up and dry it out. So it is our "2 night tent" - we use it when we are staying in one place for at least 2 nights. But we fear no storm, or rain, or hail. It is one tough tent.

http://www.elliscanvastents.com

As for all that red furniture and linen, well, meet my wife ;-)

IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_1313.jpg

Now I'm going to start my first thread with this very post, because it occurs to me that I should give David Ellis some public visibility for building such a great tent. Appropriate, too, because he delivered it to us at Overland Expo West in 2014, and I found his work on the forum!

Last edited:

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Duh!
wine-bottle-opener.jpg

happyhomemaker

Hi, cooking is one of my favorite hobbies and I think that an oven or cooking stove is very important and useful in cooking. Othe utensils too are needed plus a knife and cutting board as well:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz