Fuso Crew Cab 4X4 with XPCamper Cube

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Curious to see where this all goes Case. Your 917 looks super clean!
Have you seen the XP Campers in person and compared the build quality to the other brands you were considering, and/or other cabins out there(understood some like the URO Camper is difficult to see in the USA)?

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
Yes I was very excited on how clean the 917 was when I picked it up from the Port.

Yes I have checked out multiple XP's, the design is fantastic. The finishing work is ok. It is no Earth Roamer or such but im not paying nearly that cost. Ive looked at Phenix camper they put on Fuso's and its all made from particleboard and was not built to go off road. And I just can't afford like the Earth Cruiser or ATW. The only other camper I would be interested in would be the BlissMobile. But at the end of the day with XP I get to fully design and customize every aspect of my camper, and that is pretty freaking cool.

And for whats its worth. I bought, Imported, and Upgraded my 917 for just about the same price (within $4,000) of purchasing a brand new 4X4 Fuso. Made all the sense in the world.

haven

Expedition Leader
Last time I checked, a new Fuso/Canter FG costs about $48K. Your 917 must be primo. Photos, please!

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
Yes. it is a 1990 with 23k km. Was a firetruck. The truck is fitted with new seats and upgraded interior. Total I have about $37k into the truck as it sits, including purchase and shipping from Germany. I'll be putting in about $2k more for the outer cage and LED lights. Plus $5k for new tires and wheels. Take a look at my build thread or my website.

20150724_140147

Foto 3

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Yes I was very excited on how clean the 917 was when I picked it up from the Port.

Yes I have checked out multiple XP's, the design is fantastic. The finishing work is ok. It is no Earth Roamer or such but im not paying nearly that cost. Ive looked at Phenix camper they put on Fuso's and its all made from particleboard and was not built to go off road. And I just can't afford like the Earth Cruiser or ATW. The only other camper I would be interested in would be the BlissMobile. But at the end of the day with XP I get to fully design and customize every aspect of my camper, and that is pretty freaking cool.

And for whats its worth. I bought, Imported, and Upgraded my 917 for just about the same price (within $4,000) of purchasing a brand new 4X4 Fuso. Made all the sense in the world.

**Understood. Bliss Mobil seems world class for sure; you can also design with them(but maybe not to the extent you'd like to customize?)
Out of curiosity did you ever look into Uro-Camper from Spain?

**Yours has the Unimog's OM366LA correct? ~170bhp, but how much torque?
**PS--may I ask if you bought yours private party, or from a broker like Hommeles?

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
**Understood. Bliss Mobil seems world class for sure; you can also design with them(but maybe not to the extent you'd like to customize?)
Out of curiosity did you ever look into Uro-Camper from Spain?

**Yours has the Unimog's OM366LA correct? ~170bhp, but how much torque?
**PS--may I ask if you bought yours private party, or from a broker like Hommeles?

Yes I did look at Uro, they did not make a full hard sided camper is the size im looking for.

It does have the OM366. I have no idea the torque. In high range first gear only gets me to about 4mph or so. it has plenty of torque for me so far.

I bought the truck from a "used car lot" which only sells firetrucks. Im not sure if you will call that a broker or not. But Hommeles has a great selection.

kerry

Expedition Leader
What kind of top speed are you getting with the modifications. The low top speeds of European trucks (typically) is why I went for the Fuso. Not that its a speedster but it can cruise around 63mph all day long. I met a couple with a 917 in Chaco Canyon and they were driving around 45mph across the USA. Not sure I could tolerate that.

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
I have a friend who worked at Chaco all winter!

But Im cruising at 60mph at 13mpg.

What kind of top speed are you getting with the modifications. The low top speeds of European trucks (typically) is why I went for the Fuso. Not that its a speedster but it can cruise around 63mph all day long. I met a couple with a 917 in Chaco Canyon and they were driving around 45mph across the USA. Not sure I could tolerate that.

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
Mat thanks for the bump! I just posted up a picture of the camper mounted on the truck. Pretty exciting day!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94