Fuso Crew Cab 4X4 with XPCamper Cube

casejeep

Observer
I am at the early stages of putting together a Fuso Camper build. My timeline is to be done by December of this year.

I hope to use this thread to not only document my progress but also as a discussion on all factors of the build.

I spoke with Marc from XP and he told me he was in the process of building a Fuso for a customer. Marc was saying he was putting a regular V1 camper on the back with some storage under the cab-over section. I dont think the regular V1 will meet my needs.

I have a wife and 3.5 year old and another in the works. So the ability to sleep 4 comfortably is a must. My wife and I are talking about maybe doing so long trips and would need to accommodate us for that time without crawling all over each other.

I picked the Fuso because im not a rich man, so the Fuso if affordable and it seems like it is fairly easy to find a dealer for service. The Fuso if widely used in AU and has proven itself. I know the fuel is spotty when it comes to out of the country but I hope to resolve those questions here with people who know more than I.

There way I hope people find this informative and I will gather information from all of you.

Maninga

Adventurer
My first question's going to be, Fuso Crewcab 4x4 in Arizona? Where're you getting it, didn't think the crew cab was available there. Or are you building a pass through and having additional seating in the rear?

I'd bought an V1 XPCamper with plans to put it on a Canter 4x4 (bought the truck specifically for the XPCamper). There's a lot of things that work well with the combination I believe, it would have given me a garage space under the bed overhand suitable for 2 motorbikes and some other stuff. Length is perfect when dealing with the Australian overhang rules and I really liked the sense of space the camper had with all the windows.

With the cube option, are you planning for one sized to V1 dimensions? How's it going to fit on the crew cab (chassis extension?) Is Marc doing a pass thru for you? Marc and I talked about doing a cube last year, would have gotten him to do it except for the distance issues. It does give a LOT of options for sleeping 4, particularly with bunk beds and converting the seating into a second bed set.

casejeep

Observer
Yes and no, I will have to "order" it in Crew Cab.

Well with the Crew Cab it gives me 10ft of frame to mount on. So with a few feet of overhang in the back im looking at about 12-14 feet of useable room.

When it comes to the pass through im not sure yet. On one hand I really like the idea but it seems to be a pain in the butt. Also when it comes to financing, a Class-C Motorhome (ie: pass through) is different from a Pop-up.

Yes the cube is perfect for being able to make it your own. I was looking for bunkbeds. I would hate to have to remake the beds every night, such as turing the table area into the bed.

My next step in the upcoming weeks is to get a quote from my local-ish Fuso Dealerships and to figure out financing so I can give Marc a budget to see if we cant make a cube work.

mcc272

Fuso 4x4 Crew Cab Not Available in US

As was noted previously, the Fuso 4x4 Crew cab is not imported into the US and is not available at any price or by special order. It is sold in Australia and elsewhere, just not in the US. You can only get the crew cab in the US in 2wd. I suppose that out in Tulsa they could convert a 2wd crew to 4wd but that is not a common conversion and would be extremely expensive. If you can find a 25 year old 4x4 Crew cab outside of the U.S. and I don't know if they were built then, you would be able, with a good bit of complexity, to import it, as I understand the rules. There are simply no 4x4 Crew cab trucks with a cab forward design sold in the US. Wish it were otherwise as that is whati want as well.

mbuckner

Adventurer
I searched Canada and could not find one.

So, I do not think they are imported even into North America including Mexico.

I hope you find one.

Mike

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
At this point there is no plans to import the 4x4 crewcab into the US. Believe me we are all waiting for it. For future reference there is a section on the portal specifically dealing with Fuso builds...

Good luck with your endeavor.

casejeep

Observer
All Truth.

Im the works to mount a Crew Cab to a Single Cab frame. Or mount a passenger compartment to the rear of the single cab.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Hmmm. You could probably come up with a harder, more expensive project, especially within your timeframe, but I doubt it.

It is your time and money, but if you really want to use a Fuso, compare costs with ATW or EarthCruiser. If you will use a US pickup, you can do it all for less, with or without a pass through. There is a reason that commercial products cost what they do and a one of a kind, prototype always takes longer than you expect, and, unless you can invest a lot of sweat equity, more than you expect. (See any number of threads on this forum alone to prove these points.)

In any case, best wishes!

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I'm not sure what your intended uses are, but from what you've shared I'm not sure that a new Fuso is the best starting point. You either have to buy a crew cab and convert the drivetrain to 4x4, or buy a 4x4 and convert it to crew cab. Neither is going to be inexpensive or quick, and if you are going to use the ex-US you have the whole ULSD issue to tackle.

Also, if you go that route I expect you will have to pay cash - will be hard to find financing for a vehicle that you intend to disassemble. :)

Have you considered something like a unimog doka to start from? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Be...5e2f38e55&item=231440879189&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Maninga

Adventurer
Im the works to mount a Crew Cab to a Single Cab frame. Or mount a passenger compartment to the rear of the single cab.

If you're doing this, I highly doubt it'll be done by December at a reasonable price. Even getting the XPCamper cube by then I think it'd be a struggle. I like what he does, but custom work by him takes a long time from what I've heard (based on a friend who's been waiting for a wide body V2 for 18 months).
Rather than building the passenger module, could you engineer the body at the back to have seatbelts and put the kids back there? Pass thru, seats with seatbelts, fixed bed and a couple of bunk beds/convertible beds, think that'd be your best use of a Fuso.

Alternatively, why not get a V1 and have Marc fit the bunk beds? Nice, easy done, little customization, finance is probably easier and I think that would make the December timeframe.

Darwin

Explorer
I also don't understand. Why not just get a crew cab Ram 5500 cab and chassis with the longer wheel base option and mount the Cube to that? It's already available at any dealer lot, 4 wheel drive, etc.

casejeep

Observer
So this is what I found today. Making the Single cab a crew cab... The problem is the usable frame rail is now only 70"... Not really making the Cube big enough for 4 people. Without extending the frame?

And to the question of why not get a RAM or what not... Im not sure. I dont like the look of them i guess. I know that is a stupid answer but there you have it.

I am also looking into using a Unimog or MAN as well. I have a few feelers on that too.

My timeline is far from set in stone. ill be working on it till I can get it right...

011 (5) by casejeep, on Flickr

005 (3) by casejeep, on Flickr

Maninga

Adventurer
Unimog dual cab I'm betting you're going to get into the same issue WRT living space for 4, it'd be an experience. MAN trucks you'd have to look at old versions to get around the 25 year rule, same with the Steyr and Mercedes.

If you want a dual cab that's not a Dodge/GMC/Ford, I'd be looking at Freightliner/International trucks, though neither are cheap either. They have options that'll give good space for a camper build. Alternatively, look into some of the larger ambulances or 4x4 busses.

If you're stuck on a Fuso, I'd seriously suggest not doing a popup, build a hard sided camper on the back (either buy the hardsided Earthcruiser or build one similar), make it a 15ft body and have the seating at the front engineered to fit seatbelts.

Where are you intending to travel?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94