First Hand Experience with Carli Suspension on Super Duty

nick325i

Adventurer
Does anyone have first hand experience on a Carli Supension package for a Super Duty? More specially a 2011+ with the 2.5" Starter or Commuter Systems?

I'm looking to get a better ride and overall offroad performance but I'm not going to go offroad racing anytime soon. I have a bad back but I want to keep the capacity of a 3/4 ton truck.

Last edited:

Sooper Camper

Adventurer
you really can't go wrong with Carli. They know what they are doing when it comes to valving and have put in a lot of time to make sure they have a great product.
IMO, the current 3/4+ ton trucks need at least a 2.5" damper to properly control all the weight, even on the road and unloaded. Contrary to popular belief, bigger shocks do not necessarily have to be stiffer, they just offer a larger range of piston flow to tune over to get the plush but controlled feeling nearly all of us are after on our DD's.

coastal616

Adventurer
I have the Carli starter 4.5" kit on my 08 450, it's awesome. The ride is 20x better than stock. More than happy with it on the road, wheeling or logging roads. I changed rear springs to some pro comp, with the carli deavers under them, it rides good, but I did lose my weight capacity...but the 450 springs were just ridiculous riding. I will add airbags soon to remedy that.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Does anyone have first hand experience on a Carli Supension package for a Super Duty? More specially a 2011+ with the 2.5" Starter or Commuter Systems?

I'm looking to get a better ride and overall offroad performance but I'm not going to go offroad racing anytime soon. I have a bad back but I want to keep the capacity of a 3/4 ton truck.

NTG Racing here has installed a 3.0 kit including control arms replacement on a 2013. The owner is overwhelmed at the improvement. They've also installed less expensive kits with great results. The rear leafs especially make a difference. If you tow,his LT bags enable you to tow with the softer leafs.

coastal616

Adventurer
His bags are a bit overpriced however. $800 for 2 bags and some mounts...firestone makes some nice 6" diameter 14" travel bags that are $180 or so new online.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
His bags are a bit overpriced however. $800 for 2 bags and some mounts...firestone makes some nice 6" diameter 14" travel bags that are $180 or so new online.

Good news. I assume you manufacture your own mountings and lines?
Mine,although pricey are seven yrs old now.

coastal616

Adventurer
Good news. I assume you manufacture your own mountings and lines?
Mine,although pricey are seven yrs old now.

Bag mounts and lines are pretty simple to build. I'm sure the firestones will last just as long seeing as they are one of the top names in airbags. ;)

nick325i

Adventurer
At what trailer weight do you need the air bags? Is it all the time or just under a heavy load with a lot of tongue weight?

I regularly tow my Range Rover and that's about 7k with rig and trailer but I try to position the rig on the trailer to keep the tongue weight in check. I do plan on possibly picking up a decent sized travel trailer soon though that will be a little heavier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles