EXPEDITION FURNITURE

jamesdeutsher

Hi All,

I am researching EXPEDITION FURNITURE.

We require an extensive camp set up in remote jungle for a 3 week film shoot and need furniture to meet these demands.

Good, solid, light, structural work benches, mess benches and equipment racks.
As adventurers and photographers we love good quality and well designed equipment - I have not been able to find anything that meets these requirements.

Any direction or thought would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
James

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
James how many people do you need to cater to, and how light-weight/portable portable does it need to be? Ie: Are you driving it there on a lorry, on the roof rack of a Defender, or is someone carrying it on their back?

And are there any prima-donnas, or all people who are comfortable in the jungle with basic but solid gear?

Ray

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Brian DeArmon who is one of the original Expo members, moderator and all around great guy just started up a table company
Jonathan Hanson of Overland Expo fame mentioned them in the Overland Tech & Travel newsletter which led me to drive down to Tucson and buy the prep table.
It is an amazingly well built and beautiful white oak material. I was planning to use it and take pics over New Years but it too cold to camp.
http://www.azoutdoorfurniture.com/

Another idea is the Front Runner tables, I love my stainless camp table ridding under my roof rack.
But if you have to transport gear by air at anytime then something that breaks down would be better.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Well we might need a bit more info. For example on my moto travels the best stove was a jet boil. In my Fuso the best stove is a 36" long 30,000 btu propane stove. The best chairs for the moto were Kermits. Not so when space and weight are not a factor in the Fuso. The fold up table we use in our rig would not store anywhere in an Earthcruiser for example. So maybe a bit more information is required for some helpful information. GL!

Honu

lost on the mainland
helinox or kermit for chairs ? but really I would also give a serious look into some of the river rafting gear ? guides use them daily some of the tables can double as a back board and are insane tough

not sure what other companies are using ? pelican cases with padding on one side double duty as sitting areas etc....

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I think this is one of the best built tables available. http://www.camptime.com/roll-a-table.htm Been using mine for years. Every camp chair I've seen is very expensive or junk. If you have the room look at very strong tables from white water rafting suppliers and marine suply houses for folding deck chairs. Any chairs you can haul will do because the market for decent ones for overlanding is zilch.

I would recommend that you simply copy what the professional safari companies do in Africa. There's no need to reinvent the wheel.

Ultraviolet

Observer
I second Front Runner, tables and chairs for modern lighter weight tough materials. For discriminant taste, and in-discriminant budgets Skynet, er... Google, British campaign furniture for the classic, classy safari gear. There will be quite a few options. Sweetwater as a source for roadie/grip proof racks and equipment cases. if its not online, call and they can get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior