Crazy Fabricator gets his hands on a Gen 3 Montero

ctdfab

Observer
You can pickup a aussie locker for the front those are pretty cheap and work well, and if you find a rear lsd in the future the front locker, rear lsd combo is a very very good setup together.

I've been looking into those lockers and it seems like a good deal. By chance would you happen to know how much a hybrid lsd goes for? Now I just have to find someone or the states to source one and ship it to me.

I failed a hill climb today and I don't want it happening again lol. Thanks for the info

ctdfab

Observer
I'm still waiting to see some crazy fabrication on the Montero.

Trust me guys I won't disappoint! Currently I work 6 - 7 days a week and put in 60+ hours a week into fabricating other people's dreams. Once it calms down a bit you'll see progress. Also I'm trying to get a feel for the car and really figure out what the right way to build it is. Remember it's a new car to me and I really don't want like to do things twice. Already put about 1200 miles on it, nice to actually have a truck for a change.

Here's a glimpse at what I've been doing, not montero related but It pretty cool.

Designed and fabricated a custom twinscroll turbo kit for a road race Evo 8. Car puts out 550whp and 500wtq.
20141226_042958.jpg

Been building 2-3 of these turbo Genesis dual plenum intake manifolds a week on top of my regular 40 hour schedule. Each takes about 15 hours start to finish. Built by hand from scratch.
IMG_20141115_005241.jpg

Fabricated a small catch run of my Evolution Genesis Twinscroll turbo kits. Allows car to make 400whp with 360wtq with an awesome powerband
IMG_20141216_234008.jpg

Made a high performance set of replacement turbo manifolds for a Porsche 997 with an Alpha 9 kit, makes 700+whp. Should flow more ontop, can't wait to throw it on the Mustang dyno to retune this week!
IMG_20150123_075341.jpg

Build a complete dual 3 inch turbo back exhaust for a AMG V12 Biturbo with custom handmade mufflers and resonators. Quiet power!
IMG_20150114_202307.jpg

That's just what I've done it a couple weeks. Trust me guys I'm not just sitting around with my thumb up my *** lol. Maybe this will make you happy. ...

We think we can download the ROM from the Ecu with Openecu and actually reflash and tune the Montero on our dyno with some software and gadgets we already have. Even that takes time too though, the rough part is getting the definitions for the tables but we have a plan for that too.

So there you go. Going back to work now, all nighter. Time to hustle!

Last edited:

ctdfab

Observer
Good stuff, I'm envious of those welds, I know enough to build trailers but nothing pretty like that.

Thank you. Too many guys focus on pretty and forget about strong. Ide rather have an ugly weld that's strong over a weak "pretty" weld.

I'm self taught so hit me up with any questions.

cnutco

Adventurer
I'm still waiting to see some crazy fabrication on the Montero.

Me too. He has talent, but I'm waiting patiently for his talent to be put toward the Montero as per the thread post.

I'm not knocking the OP's posts of some kicking welds, but let's see some Montero pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ahymen

Brother, you have some skills there. Though some people are a bit on less patient side on working on your Montero updates, that's just fine with me. I think you may be right in saying you need to get a bit of time with her under your belt and get used to it.

The Montero bolt on aftermarket is so slim I would love to see some solid manufacturing tried on these rigs. From what I have read, most people just say to leave things alone in terms of exhaust, intake, porting, headers etc...

If you can try some of these aspects and do some writing on them...it would benefit the whole community on the potential of these vehicles.

ctdfab

Observer
Me too. He has talent, but I'm waiting patiently for his talent to be put toward the Montero as per the thread post.

I'm not knocking the OP's posts of some kicking welds, but let's see some Montero pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update - We were able to download the stock 3.5 sohc ROM from the Monteros ecu and sent it to a friend to help define the various tables. I know it doesn't look like much right now but it's the first step in being able to tune the ecu.
20150126_103402.jpg

Brother, you have some skills there. Though some people are a bit on less patient side on working on your Montero updates, that's just fine with me. I think you may be right in saying you need to get a bit of time with her under your belt and get used to it.

The Montero bolt on aftermarket is so slim I would love to see some solid manufacturing tried on these rigs. From what I have read, most people just say to leave things alone in terms of exhaust, intake, porting, headers etc...

If you can try some of these aspects and do some writing on them...it would benefit the whole community on the potential of these vehicles.

Thanks. I just hate feeling like a guy that is all talk. Right now it's baby steps and getting data. I also have a scanguageE on its way to start compiling gas mileage data. I used to be big into the hypermile scene and while this truck will guzzle gas no matter what I want to maximize efficency as much as possible.

Once I can successfully tune the ecu I plan on opening up another thread focuses on engine data and performance. The use of our dyno will also let me test multiple variations of fabricated conponents.

Again thanks for the support!!!

cnutco

Adventurer
Thanks for the update! Can't wait to see some of your mad welding skills put to the Montero. Also, it looks like you work with a lot of EVO's and such; I have been curious to know if there is any other Mitsubishi that has compatible engine parts... IE(Eclipse or EVO)

ctdfab

Observer
No problem lol. I think my first fab projects are going to be headers and exhaust since that stuff is easy and fun. Hopefully I can actually minimize the welding because argon is expensive here!

As far as parts compatibility we share pretty much the same engine as the mitsu 3000gt/stealth. Actually we just had a very well known 3000gt tuner fly down last week to custom tune a twin turbo setup I built and he gave me some information. Apparently even though the stock 3.5 rods are pretty weak he said the engine could safely do 500hp if the compression is 9.0 like my owners manual says it is....hmmmmm......turbo. .....

He said the stock crank is a beefy forged unit and he uses them to build stroker engines . As far as part interchangeability I don't think there is anything that we can really use.

psykokid

Explorer
What are we looking at here? I don't understand. I don't really understand much about fabrication, is this some kind of weld strength matrix?

That's a screenshot of the maps for load vs rpm as to what the ECU requests as far as air to fuel ratios at any given RPM/Load combo.

ctdfab

Observer
That's a screenshot of the maps for load vs rpm as to what the ECU requests as far as air to fuel ratios at any given RPM/Load combo.

Exactly. That's only one of multiple maps I'm going to need access to. No point in building anything for changing the performance without having a way to control it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier