Crazy Fabricator gets his hands on a Gen 3 Montero

clmrt

Adventurer
Tuning shift points and line pressures to help firm up the shifts, hold gear a bit longer - that I'd like to see.

ctdfab

Observer
Tuning shift points and line pressures to help firm up the shifts, hold gear a bit longer - that I'd like to see.

There is an Australian company that actually already offers an upgraded heavy duty valve body with firmer shifts for towing but the cost is pretty high, $900 I think. The also offer a tq converter lockup kit

Not sure if there is a control module on the market to mess with the shift points but that's not something I was going to mess with. *edit* after more research it looks like the gen 3 I have uses adaptive shift points, it learns your driving style. I wish I could have two separate maps for that in a toggle. Like a sporty profile and an economy profile.

Maybe in the future if I decide to throw a turbo on it for **** and giggles I'll have this good local shop upgrade my trans a bit

Last edited:

ctdfab

Observer
Well. Had a few repairs and bought a bunch of things bit the coolest are the aussie front locker and the sweet 285/75s that for with no problems with stock height

cazadorpr

Hola! Can't wait for the exhaust/headers ...I've seen pics of the muffler(first one after cat) moved higher for better clearance. I'm planning a trip to my beautiful Island next Christmas and maybe get to look at it hehe. I just got a used 2003 Gen3 XLS with just 59k and need to start planing the mods.

ctdfab

Observer
Hola! Can't wait for the exhaust/headers ...I've seen pics of the muffler(first one after cat) moved higher for better clearance. I'm planning a trip to my beautiful Island next Christmas and maybe get to look at it hehe. I just got a used 2003 Gen3 XLS with just 59k and need to start planing the mods.

I'm excited for that stage as well! With the tires mounted I need to do a small lift and then get it aligned. After that it's onto ordering tubing and getting the flanges water jet cut.

It's going under the knife right now. Planning a 1.5 spring lift and 0.5 subframe drop if I can manage it with stock hardware tonight

20150314_191553.jpg

ctdfab

Observer
Well guys, life is funny with plans sometimes. Bunch of stuff has happened and I've been offered a great opportunity in Austin Texas. Good news! Gonna drop a bunch of cash and ship the Montero to the states with me!

Since everything is bigger in texas I thought a custom billet lift would help me blend in with the Cowboys. Bought some huge 6061 billet chunks and spent a non stop 15 hour day designing, fabbing and installing my 2 inch lift.

Looks great with good cv angle and good amount of droop still with stock spring rate. Feels a bit firmer but it's a good feeling. Got a set of 1.25 wheel spacers coming that should really get everything perfect!

Let's see what I can do in texas. .....in house cnc. .....

InstaSize_2015_7 _ 301976.jpg
20150830_072225.jpg
20150830_181107.jpg

PHeller

Adventurer
I'm curious, how'd you end up in Puerto Rico? Is the racing scene that hot down there that they are searching for fab guys from the states?

Everyone I've talked with who has family down there says the job scene is just terrible, and the only way to get by is either to bring money down with you or have family connections who already own property. That being said, I'd love to live in PR, such a beautiful island.

Good work on the 3rd Gen Montero. Funny how the base of information for these things in the states is the place you left!

ctdfab

Observer
I had my own shop for a couple years and had vacationed to the island a couple times. Decided to start fresh and live the vacation so I sold everything I owned except my tig and moved. Met a girl and relaxed for 3 whole months. Asked where to best shop was, walked in and got the job. They had all the equipment and no fabricator, match! Spent almost 3 years building custom GTRs and record breaking cars. Learned to adapt to the island life while still being cutting edge and productive.

There is a huge race scene here! Our shop usually has about 10 gtrs at all times and other cool stuff. The owner has a preference for fabricators from the states, work ethic and diversity I guess.

A really good friend needed a fabricator badly and I was over the low puerto rican wages (-30%). Plus I get to be around really good friends and family again. It can be a tough harsh little crazy island!

Montero heaven over here though lol.

IncorpoRatedX

Explorer
I had my own shop for a couple years and had vacationed to the island a couple times. Decided to start fresh and live the vacation so I sold everything I owned except my tig and moved. Met a girl and relaxed for 3 whole months. Asked where to best shop was, walked in and got the job. They had all the equipment and no fabricator, match! Spent almost 3 years building custom GTRs and record breaking cars. Learned to adapt to the island life while still being cutting edge and productive.

There is a huge race scene here! Our shop usually has about 10 gtrs at all times and other cool stuff. The owner has a preference for fabricators from the states, work ethic and diversity I guess.

A really good friend needed a fabricator badly and I was over the low puerto rican wages (-30%). Plus I get to be around really good friends and family again. It can be a tough harsh little crazy island!

Montero heaven over here though lol.

you guys do business with AMS or compete against? I've been good friends with some of the guys for a long time, just wondered.

ctdfab

Observer
We are the only authorized AMS distributor on the island. My boss knows the guys real well but me not so much, actually just met Chris black got the first time on my last business trip to Texas. I'm sure the name Predator Performance will ring a bell ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior