Where did you mount your 2M Antenna?

lugueto

Adventurer
Hey guys,

I've been revisiting my HAM installation. So far it has worked flawlessly, I have no complaints with the equipment but, even though I would be at risk messing with something that works, I have been looking at doing a cleaner install.

At the moment my radio is mounted in the shifter console of my cruiser, which I plan to move to the spot beneath my stereo.

The antenna is on a spare tire mount, which I like because it is pretty high up. The thing is, it is not the most visually pleasing solution (both from inside and out the vehicle)

I might add that i'm all for function over fashion, but if I can manage a cleaner solution without hindering performance, that would be best. I don't plan on drilling a hole in the middle of my roof, because I dont want to and because the rack/fishing boat/jerry cans/RTT or whatever is up there at the moment

A question arises: Where can I mount the antenna where it is less of an eye-sore and in the way and it will work as good as it does now?

I have been toying with the idea of fabbing up something like the YodaTEQ Side mirror "Ditch Light" mount. It will be stealthier, but I'm not sure if being next to the A pillar will hinder performance. Right now it doesn't have a very good ground plane but that doesn't seem better. (If someone uses or has seen this setup please report back)

So, to help with information and creativity, would you mind posting pictures of your antenna mounts?

Thanks,

Luis

Frdmskr

Adventurer
The car is the other half of the antenna. So the roof is ideal. As you are using the roof, it seems impractical.

Consider the engine hood. There are systems that attach there. Also on a bull bar if you have one.

As always see http://wwwk0bg.com for ideas and pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFSOC

Explorer
I have the Larsen mag mounted on the roof when in use and behind the seat when not in use. It allows me to eliminate the "eye-sore", as you called it, when I don't anticipate UHF/VHF use. I am not a power user, ham guy...much more casual about it as a means of communication. My antenna spends much more time stored and the radio lights dark than ready for use.

lugueto

Adventurer
The thing is, driving every day I have a roof rack installed. When on trips I have either jerry cans, a tent, a fishing boat, kayaks, or whatever load on the roof. This doesn;t allow me to use the roof. So even if I wanted to use it, the roof is wouldnt be an option anyway.

While not in use, the antenna is safely stored inside the vehicle. I use it only for trips, not for constant comms.

I'm not calling the eye sore the antenna per se, just the location it is at right now. I would like to move it to the front of the vehicle to use the hood as a ground plane, but none of the mounting options i've seen so far have been convincing (my options are limited), so that's why im asking for ideas and advice!

Robert Bills

Explorer
. . . The thing is, driving every day I have a roof rack installed. When on trips I have either jerry cans, a tent, a fishing boat, kayaks, or whatever load on the roof. This doesn't allow me to use the roof. So even if I wanted to use it, the roof wouldn't be an option anyway. . . .

You don't mention the type of roof rack you have. This is how I mounted my 2m/70cm antenna on my roof rack:

DepHep Roof Rack Basket with Breedlove antenna mounts and Rotopax cans.jpg

See this post: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...f-rack-mounted-antennas?p=1780175#post1780175

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I have a 5/8 wave mag mount on a plate bolted to my mirror bracket. It does get knocked off by trees from time to time, isn't the prettiest but lets me pull into the garage without tearing the thing off every-time. This was a temp idea when I installed it about 14 years ago. Still haven't found the "ideal" placement yet so I am interested in this thread.

SAM_1558.jpg

Darrell

GlennA

Adventurer
Six more years and you'll have to update it from temporary to permanent!! Brilliant idea.

I have a 5/8 wave mag mount on a plate bolted to my mirror bracket. It does get knocked off by trees from time to time, isn't the prettiest but lets me pull into the garage without tearing the thing off every-time. This was a temp idea when I installed it about 14 years ago. Still haven't found the "ideal" placement yet so I am interested in this thread.

View attachment 271993

Darrell

rgallant

Adventurer
I attached mine to the guide rails on my Pathfinder roof rack, it sticks a wee bit outboard so is out of the way when I toss stuff up there. It is not perfect as it sits to one side of the roof, but it works Room for a roof basket too.

I run a short antenna around town, then a tall one when I get out driving.

doug720

Expedition Leader
Mine is mounted to my front bumper, which is made for this. I ground the antenna mount to the bumper, body and battery also.

It works very well and I have heard many hams tell me it sounds very good. My transmission range is as good as anything I have used.

I can't mount to the roof, due to racks, kayaks and fly rod boxes, plus this fits in my garage and seldom hits branches and limbs.

Attachments

• P1100256.JPG
    P1100256.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 19
  • P1100257.JPG
    P1100257.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 16

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94