Roof rack mounted solar panels, questions

super04duty

Observer
So, I finally got a ladder rack for my truck. It fits over the camper shell and extends to the cab roof lights on my CCLB F350. Though I will probably cut it down a couple of inches, as i don't see my roof lights lasting very long. Its VERY close to them, and with a truck this long, Im sure it'll flex enough to break them off road.

This rack has expanded steel welded onto it over the cabover portion, and I am interested in permanently mounting solar panels to it. I just really have no idea where to start looking. I like to buy things as local as possible (I am in the LA area). Ive got zero experience with solar, but i feel this should be doable. I also have no idea how to install a charge controller in the truck. Its a diesel, so it has factory dual batteries. I am not interested in installing a 3rd battery at all. I feel with solar panels set up like this, I can get by just fine with the stock two. I don't plan on really carrying any loads on this rack. As my intentions are to instal solar panels, and lights and antennas on it. I would like to maybe use some marine plywood and mount it over the camper shell. Between that and the solar panels, the truck would basically always be "parked in the shade".. and I can use the plywood area to carry items, or to set up chairs, or even do some prone shooting from.

Has anyone installed panels on a rack like this? And has anyone installed a charge controller for solar into a ford diesel with dual batteries? How did they hook them up?

CaliMobber

Adventurer
So there is nothing special with specific vehicles. the dual batteries are still 12v, the same as just one battery. Basically you will just mount panels and run a wire to a charge controller then it goes from charge controller to one battery. It really depends on how much solar you want before you can choose the charge controller.

You can really put solar anywhere on the rack. the front with the grate is easier since the panels can be any size. just have bolts go though the panel and grate then use a washer to hold it into place.

If you want local check out Solarblvd.com, they are with in driving distance and they have amazing prices for USA made panels. otherwise amazon has cheap china panels with free shipping.

First step for you is to decide how large of a panel you want or measure where you want it to go and see how large of a panel you can fit. Then find a charge controller that handles the amps your panel will make. Get a morningstar don't cheap out on a charge controller. then buy and install :)

you can look at my write up for a little info I didnt put to much detail into the solar though.

super04duty

Observer
I think you pretty much answered all of my questions with one quick post. lol

I usually like to buy local, sometimes even if it costs more, because I'm terrible about wanting instant gratification. Plus, living in an apartment, i don't always trust receiving packages here, especially if I'm not home. Its a nice enough area, but I'm just not that trusting of a person. lol

libarata

Expedition Leader
So there is nothing special with specific vehicles. the dual batteries are still 12v, the same as just one battery. Basically you will just mount panels and run a wire to a charge controller then it goes from charge controller to one battery. It really depends on how much solar you want before you can choose the charge controller.

You can really put solar anywhere on the rack. the front with the grate is easier since the panels can be any size. just have bolts go though the panel and grate then use a washer to hold it into place.

If you want local check out Solarblvd.com, they are with in driving distance and they have amazing prices for USA made panels. otherwise amazon has cheap china panels with free shipping.

First step for you is to decide how large of a panel you want or measure where you want it to go and see how large of a panel you can fit. Then find a charge controller that handles the amps your panel will make. Get a morningstar don't cheap out on a charge controller. then buy and install :)

you can look at my write up for a little info I didnt put to much detail into the solar though.

I apologize for the Hi-jack, but which ones are domestic?

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Well looking at them now looks like they have kinda replaced all the 12v with Cynergy brand. many of the 24v solar worlds are usa made or canada they norm stay usa made when you clock the panel. UL rating is always a good thing.

I cant find out where cynergy are made. Id assume in china or Taiwan or something but their headquarters is based in norco,ca.

I would not be to worried about china made panels for a vehicle project since your not spending much and ive had great luck with my china panels so far.

Now if I was spending thousands on my house id stick with UL certified.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
See my Tundra build thread.

BTW, I FAR prefer an isolated solar system.

Why isolated? that means you cant start the truck to help charge the batt off the alternator. at least Id recommend have a combine option since the alternator puts out sooo much more power than any solar can.

everything I use has auto low voltage shut off and I can still start the car if drain them down.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
In the big ocean sailing world we find that the hardest thing is getting the right combo of panels for your power needs. For your setup given your not running all sorts of various electrical gear dont be surprised if you end up with excess capacity. Modern pannels are really impressive in their output. Start with one panel you can always add. Then you can guage your power need and what the pannels are letting you do etc. Start small with ability to add panels you cant go wrong. Just know they produce power all the time even if your full up... unless you cover em when you dont need em.. ;-) covers are nice to have.

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
for panels just get the largest panel you can afford instead of trying to hook up multiple panels. On my small astrovan i was able to fit a 240 watt panel on the roof and it has served me well. After expierencing the power of 240 watts, i would never use anything smaller.

With a 240 watt panel and my ecoworthy mppt controller I get about 11 amps when the sun is overhead. Before i had a 120 watt panel and that only gave me 6 amps (with either mppt or pwm) the mppt controllers dont improve the output on the smaller panels. The bigger the panel the quicker it will charge your battery. With 11 amps, i dont even have an isolator, it keeps my 145 amp agm battery charged up.

From the pictures, I see a 240 watt panel or larger will easily fit on your roof, maybe even 2.

Rockhounder

Explorer
I bought three of the harbor freight kits and s 500 watt charge controller. Goes to two deep cycle batteries on a separate circuit from the car.

The neat thing about covering your roof as much as possible is that you get a very noticeable cooler interior when you open the doors after being parked in the sun. I made little 3 inch spacers for my panels, but mounted the front row forward edges flush to the roof so as to minimize turbulence and wind noise. (with this arrangement, I do not hear anything noisier than before installation).

This array powers our 42 quart freezer fridge, and other lights etc. It can also be linked to the vehicle electrical system when needed. Just had to make use of this feature 2 nights ago when the headlights got left on all night by accident.

20140729_165636.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
I would suggest something like C-channel brackets slung under the rack, between rack and roof. Positioning the panels where they will have sunlight and be connectable to your system in their 'stored' location, but also rig some form of side-hanging brackets so the panel can be attached to the side rim of the rack or just stood freely on the roof and be able to be angled appropriately to the sun for maximum efficiency.

There are a lot of connector options, you can make it as crude or as custom as you want. Or even fish the wiring inside the tubing of your rack so only a few inches of wire and connector hang out of it. Pull in, set up camp, pop whatever and click in your extension cabling to tie the panel in. Or if you want the panel trickling power all the time, with the vehicle buttoned up, consider if you will drill some wiring holes somewhere or make a place in the door seals where you can route the wiring without it getting pinched or damaged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke