67 Scout 800 build ideas

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Is that scout from MT? Its hard to tell from the pic but it doesn't look like there is very much rust at all which is shocking to me. Especially if it came from anywhere with snow.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
That's awesome! Great find. If you ever have any IH questions let me know. I've been around them and working on them since I was 10ish.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Kind of looks like 2wd.

I checked San Diego CL for you and there were some but dang they are expensive now!

98dango

Expedition Leader
I sadly had the job of killing some. It's left a hole in the used car market that is much needed in this economy.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Ya my they used to be cheap youb picked them up for parts now oh my they fetch a dollar

That and there was an article in the WSJ or USA today or something that listed the top 10 classic SUV's that are worth money and the scout had a high ranking for some reason. Since then all types of classic SUV's have hugely gone up in price. People can now sell them for triple what they're worth. 5k for a rusted scout? No thanks.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I honestly bought my first scout becaus to could not afford the 1975 bronco I wanted now I can pick up that exact bronco for 1500 and the scout is 5000

98dango

Expedition Leader
Back to IH love. Any suggestions on this I'm still worried about the narrow springs on the Your a axel. Mabie I should narrow a chevy 44

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
What if you went the route of swapping in D44's from a scout II? Not that much work is required.

MotoDave

Explorer
I think 35's on scout 80/800 width axles would make for a very compromised turning radius. these truck have uncommonly wide frames, you'll end up with the tire rubbing the springs/frame with not much steering angle.

Scout II Dana 44's are ~2" wider than stock Scout 800, and are somewhat available. I couldn't find one when I went looking, so I narrowed a Blazer Dana 44 to use Scout inner axle shafts. You'll have to relocate spring perches in either case, I think - Scout II's had narrower frames.

There are lots of parts on these trucks, especially in the suspension/steering/brakes that I feel are really outdated and benefit from upgrade to something more modern, but it all depends on how much of a project you're looking for. I'm basically just keeping the Body and Frame, see link in my signature if you want.

I went with a Chevy 350 V8 with TBI, but a 4.3 V6 would be a solid choice too. If I were collecting parts right now I'd go with a LS series engine, probably the 5.3 out of a truck.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I would never use a scout I I any thing honestly. I would have just as much work in moving perches and such. There 2" wider but zero caster built in so a cut and turn is needed might as well cut and shorten and build with caster. I have thought of newer ls motors but to me cost vs what I get is not there.

I also should mention in have 2 that need to be built the same one for me one for the wife. There the same year same similar options and all. If I did not have any parts at the moment it would be different

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles