67 Scout 800 build ideas

bustedcrawler

If I was better with computers I'd try to make a digital picture of what looks right but posting on hear is a stretch. I'm thinking 110-115" wheel base is about right and leaf springs I think yj springs front and 56" chevy springs in back with the shackle right at the rear bumper. Likely 5-7" of lift and 35s I may run a 38-11 bogger at some point but Un likely. I want this clean and drivable so my superduty can sit.

I will try and dig up pictures of my old 66 800... YJ leaves all around with a reverse shackle up front put it at 104.5" wheelbase, and silly flex. On the street a swaybar was a nice addition. IIRC I used a XJ front swaybar. Without it, well, body roll was putting it lightly. Really no need for that much lift and 35s. A basic spring over would give you more than enough to comfortably run 35s.

On my Scout II, stock springs SOA I run 37s for bit before stepping back down to 35s.

Less lift, more sheetmetal work. 5-7" of lift is kinda ridiculous for a 35/38" tire. I run 35s on my flat fender and it is lowered about 1/2" from stock on the suspension :D

This... Metcalf's flatty is nice and low, made my Scout look like a monster truck next to it, and mine is pretty low for a SOA and 35s scout.

IF I had to do it all over, I would do more sheet tin work and keep the truck lower...

wesfab1

Goin' Commando
seeing as you hope to do a flatbed build you've only got half the fender cutting:ylsmoke:

Definately want better springs

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
This... Metcalf's flatty is nice and low, made my Scout look like a monster truck next to it, and mine is pretty low for a SOA and 35s scout.

IF I had to do it all over, I would do more sheet tin work and keep the truck lower...

Not the best picture but I think you get the idea...

98dango

Expedition Leader
Right now my concern for this build is to fallow around this old guy.

dd889dfc41f2b7bfc6039eb50768794f.jpg

He's locked front rear Q78 buck shots and been wheeling over 40 years I call him DAD. Last time out I was more embarrassed than any thing a simple camping trip had my Super Duty on the strap 6 times just to get where we camped when I was a kid.

I had a friend give me some numbers under my scout now.

Frame to ground 6 3/4 inches with 28" tire.

28 to a 35 is 3.5" of lift making 10.25 at frame add 6" spring over I'm at 16" frame not that big. I know a fatty is only like 8" at the frame stock. So ya its a little tall but still less than any thing else I own.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Frame to ground 6 3/4 inches with 28" tire.

28 to a 35 is 3.5" of lift making 10.25 at frame add 6" spring over I'm at 16" frame not that big. I know a fatty is only like 8" at the frame stock. So ya its a little tall but still less than any thing else I own.

wait...what? 6.75" frame to ground?

and.....8" to the frame on a stock flatty? Que? I have like 18" under the frame rail and 16.5" under the transfer case skidplate on my little clown car flat fender thing.

I'm confused with your measurements. :smilies27

98dango

Expedition Leader
I did not take them so no 100% on this but 3 guys came up with in 1/2" of each other. The scout in question from the bottom of the frame to ground is 6.75" so low as crap. That is what i have to work off of.

With that knowledge a 6" spring over lift will set the truck with a 12" frame to ground

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
If the 28" tire is on a 15" rim. That gives you 13" of sidewall total, half that would be 6.5". So if the tire goes flat the frame is on the ground?
Looking at the picture it looks low....but not THAT low.
At least it looks flat and relatively smooth :sombrero:

98dango

Expedition Leader
It is flat and I'm also factoring in likely not fully inflated tires with Some ground deflectio if I have a frame height of 20" when done even on 38s I would be very surprised. Scouts do have a taller body so over all may be high but still a solid foot less than my truck nor ramcharger

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Since I like odd ideas...

Is there any room to drop the body down on the frame? It could be anything from an inch gain eliminating the body mounts to 5-6""+ channeling the body for the frame hot rod style :D
I'm a bad influence, I know.

98dango

Expedition Leader
That idea has crossed my mind many times. Basically the plan right now sits like this.

Pull the body off install drive train axles ect. The floor is junk and some idiot cut up the fire walk. So I can pretty much work that to fit where I put things. Lower the body if we can keeping in mind half of it will be gone. I have to purchase tires leaning to the Q78 swampers. Part of me says put 60s in now you pansy. The other part says you have broken 2 toyota axles in your life both where doing things a 22 year old dose. I do want to keep this narrow for easy daily driver and the trails my dad runs are narrow.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
That idea has crossed my mind many times. Basically the plan right now sits like this.

Pull the body off install drive train axles ect. The floor is junk and some idiot cut up the fire walk. So I can pretty much work that to fit where I put things. Lower the body if we can keeping in mind half of it will be gone. I have to purchase tires leaning to the Q78 swampers. Part of me says put 60s in now you pansy. The other part says you have broken 2 toyota axles in your life both where doing things a 22 year old dose. I do want to keep this narrow for easy daily driver and the trails my dad runs are narrow.

With a 35" tire I just don't think D60/14bolt stuff is worth it. The ground clearance starts to become an issue under the axle.

It sounds like this is an in-between project. I would just put it together as quick as possible/practical and then move onto building what you REALLY want while you use this to get out on the trail with your dad...
Heck, thinking about that it might just be easier to pick up something easier/quicker to build too ( being devils advocate and all ). There are a lot of used built rigs floating around that can be had for pennies on the dollar.

98dango

Expedition Leader
It is definitely an in between rig. You and I know what I want to build. I am sure I could buy a rig I had planned to just abuse my Ramcharger till I was ready to put this together but the wife jacked that truck. I could buy some thing but half the fun is a project with good friends. The last rig we all built together was go figure a scout. We have all grown gotten married moved away and come back home. So we all felt that a scout was only fitting. My first scout was the go to for recovery in high school and I think this will be the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles