Econoline cargo door latch cable ends.

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
I was searching the net for some info while trying to diagnose my power door lock issue and stumbled upon a fix for the plastic cable ends on the left rear or side cargo doors that tend to break. Pretty ingenious if you ask me. Yes, you can buy new cables, but they still have the plastic ends that break.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ford-door-l...Parts_Accessories&hash=item338d704832&vxp=mtr

[video=youtube;_iZoM3t2Bl0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_iZoM3t2Bl0[/video]

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
That's good info because latches can be tricky since you can't always see what's going on. I had the same exact symptom on my slider door. The fix was a bit different but to sum it up I removed the inner door panel and noticed a Phillips screw in the latch mechanism was loose. It was not easy to figure out or see. I drilled a 1/4" hole thru the inner metal door skin to pass a screw driver thru. I backed the screen out just enough to get lock tight on it because if you take it out it looked like the mechanism would swarm on you. Basically if the inner sheetmetal was not in the way the Phillips would be looking right at you as you viewed the handle/latch mechanism from inside. Tightened up that pivot screw and all is well.

Raul

Adventurer
I've been using bicycle cable barrels. They work great. In some doors I'd to cut them and in some I've to use two nuts instead of one. You can get them on Amazon in bags of 10 for $10 or $15.

latchIMG_3130.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

philos

Explorer
I've been using bicycle cable barrels. They work great. In some doors I'd to cut them and in some I've to use two nuts instead of one. You can get them on Amazon in bags of 10 for $10 or $15.

latchIMG_3130.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

genius idea.
thanks!

Eaglefreek

Eagleless
What are your power locks doing or not doing?

Not working at all, but I decided not to fix them since I don't have a key fob and I'm making it into a cargo van. I installed a partition and have guards on the windows. If I fix the power door locks, someone could break into the front of the truck, hit the lock button and open the back doors and have access to my tools.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier