The Restoration And Build Thread For My 1992 FJ80

AK.xplorer

Observer
I really like the tan color of your rig. Regarding your handling issue with vibrations or tire balance, if you have any sort of polyurethane in the suspension system, I would ditch it for the castor correction plates and rubber bushings.

BTW, I've been down there to Oklahoma years ago. I was dating a gal from Ada, who was into team-roping and training horses. Hot tempered, cowgirl she was. Darn fun, wild times with that gal though, good memories down there.

I've learned over the years that OEM toyota rubber components are dream come true and do a very good job of combating the oversized tires.. Polyurethane bushings really pss me off.

Another thing too, Having worn down coopers, bfg's, and toyo tires over thousands of miles, I'm shocked by how mild mannered the Toyo Open country MT's truly are. I now have three good sets of Used Toyos: The snow tires, at's (for towing), and the mt's.

The worst so far: Cooper STT's. The noises, vibrations, and terrible noises when applying the brakes are something else. Last month I put a 10hr road trip driving with those on an FJ62.

Last edited:

Summit Cruisers Jr

I really like the tan color of your rig. Regarding your handling issue with vibrations or tire balance, if you have any sort of polyurethane in the suspension system, I would ditch it for the castor correction plates and rubber bushings.

BTW, I've been down there to Oklahoma years ago. I was dating a gal from Ada, who was into team-roping and training horses. Hot tempered, cowgirl she was. Darn fun, wild times with that gal though, good memories down there.

I've learned over the years that OEM toyota rubber components are dream come true and do a very good job of combating the oversized tires.. Polyurethane bushings really pss me off.

Another thing too, Having worn down coopers, bfg's, and toyo tires over thousands of miles, I'm shocked by how mild mannered the Toyo Open country MT's truly are. I now have three good sets of Used Toyos: The snow tires, at's (for towing), and the mt's.

The worst so far: Cooper STT's. The noises, vibrations, and terrible noises when applying the brakes are something else. Last month I put a 10hr road trip driving with those on an FJ62.

Thanks! Small world, I have some family in Ada and go down there every now and then.

Aside from the poly body mount bushings (which I really hate and want to replace), all bushings are OEM Toyota. My dad and I pressed out all the old ones and put in new ones when we did the lift along with caster correction. I'm fairly certain the tires are the cause as it was a lot smoother on the old set. I used to be able to cruise down the highway and it would track straight and smooth. It shakes so much now that I am back to holding the wheel with two hands and it's slightly pulling to the left.

That's interesting to hear about the Cooper STT's as I was thinking about going with them when I originally went with the Kendas. I guess more of a reason to go with the KO2s.

GCRad1

Adventurer
SUBSCRIBED!!!! MASSIVE!!! "this is how my 1992 Land Cruiser looked when I first inherited it at 16 with 310,000 miles. This was the car that took me to preschool, elementary school, middle school, and some of high school. My parents purchased it back in the early 2000s with 175,000 miles on it. As far back as I can remember, I remember this car." SO RAD!!!

GCRad1

Adventurer
Hello Summit Cruisers Jr,
attachment.php

May I ask if you have or if you can take a close up photo of the hood vent underside as I am about to purchase some of these and want to get them installed and cleanly as you have!

Summit Cruisers Jr

Hello Summit Cruisers Jr,
attachment.php

May I ask if you have or if you can take a close up photo of the hood vent underside as I am about to purchase some of these and want to get them installed and cleanly as you have!

My dad actually installed them. He was the first to do it on an 80. Here's his thread on them. I believe someone else did a more comprehensive thread but I can't remember what it was called or who it was by.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/grand-prix-gtp-hood-vents-installed.294227/

Summit Cruisers Jr

Update on the cruiser:

The RTT is back on and I'm hoping to make it out to Arkansas for a weekend in the near future.

I also had the windshield replaced today. I started getting a little bit of water leaking in from the top last summer in Colorado. I was thinking it was going to be rusty up there, but not a single bit which was a huge relief. The rust free cruiser lives on!

image.jpg
The new glass is like looking at a HD tv vs non HD. The same guy who does the installs for the local Lexus dealer came out and did a great job. I had to play around with bending the new Toyota gasket to get it to fit behind the snorkel mount, but other than that it went well.
image.jpg

While the windshield was out, I was also able to clean those corners by the edge of the dash that always get filled with bugs and dirt.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Summit Cruisers Jr

It's been awhile since I updated the thread, but I haven't done much to the cruiser lately. I've just been building swing out kits and prepping for a Colorado trip.

I went out to the Lil Sahara Sand Dunes in mid May and camped for a night. We were there during some activity and there must have been several hundred RZRs and sand rails out there that looked immensely more fun than my cruiser.

I've recently been doing little odd tasks to get the cruiser ready for a 2 week trip that I am (was) leaving for midday tomorrow. After firing it up to take it to the car wash, the alternator decided to die. Hopefully I'll be able to get one locally tomorrow morning and hit the road. This was also the first time the York compressor has been taken out since its install.

image.jpg

I also added some LED strip lighting to the inside and underside of the tent. After having 4 or so free harbor freight lights fail, I realized I might as well do something with the strip lighting I had sitting out. I had to cut out a switch panel to mount the rocker switch to inside of the tent and I added a waterproof plug right where the tent folds up so nothing gets pinched or falls out while packing it up. I'm pretty stoked how it turned out.

image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne