The Restoration And Build Thread For My 1992 FJ80

Summit Cruisers Jr

^^ Got it, thx.

Another, the Dorman window assembly --> your dad (a while back) responded to a query I had on MUD concerning the original window motor rebuild. In short, I was inquiring about how to keep current constant when trying to lower/raise all four windows at once (current setups reduce current across however many windows are being operated at once). Sounded like two relays per window were going to be required which didn't entirely make sense to me so......if you ever decide to pursue this, please be sure to (like you always do) post some details and pics.

thx again...

Doubt I ever will because I am happy with my windows, but if I do I will be sure to post it up.

Summit Cruisers Jr

details on theat interrior roof rack? I am looking form something similar for my 4runner

image.jpg
I ordered mine from the containerstore.com. It is the 18x48" shelf, and I ground down the corners of the tops so they wouldn't rub the headliner. Then I found out they carried them at the local west lake and helped my brother put one in his 80 and a friend with a 100. The 100 didn't require any grinding as far as I can remember. My friend just got a new 5th gen so we might be putting one in that soon.

Last edited:

Stifler

Observer
View attachment 303455
I ordered mine from the containerstore.com. It is the 18x48" shelf, and I ground down the corners of the tops so they wouldn't rub the headliner. Then I found out they carried them at the local west lake and helped my brother put one in his 80 and a friend with a 100. The 100 didn't require any grinding as far as I can remember. My friend just got a new 5th gen so we might be putting one in that soon.
right on thanks. Nice rig BTW

Summit Cruisers Jr

right on thanks. Nice rig BTW

Thanks

Center console is now done!
Rear cupholders are on. I went with the 4x4 fold out crab claw type.
I also found a cupholder phone mount on Amazon that does its purpose better than something I could have made.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I also have a new Dorman window track and motor assembly on the way for the passenger side.

Arktikos

Explorer
I just started looking at this thread, and have a question. What did you do with the original stock LC wheels that were painted? They look awesome. Also, what color of VHT wheel paint did you use on them. Thanks.

Summit Cruisers Jr

I just started looking at this thread, and have a question. What did you do with the original stock LC wheels that were painted? They look awesome. Also, what color of VHT wheel paint did you use on them. Thanks.

I ended up selling the old wheels to someone who wanted them for a first gen Tacoma. They were painted with VHT graphite gray and then finished off with a clear coat. The paint is available at AutoZone last time I checked.

Summit Cruisers Jr

Well last Wednesday I went home and replaced my passenger door window assembly. The window now works and is now somewhat fast. I also fabbed up a quick ram mount drop down from the grab handle to mount my Garmin Etrex.

Then, the truck was ready for an 800 mile trip that started last Thursday and ended Sunday. I met up with some friends from Houston who were on their way to explore the High Water Mark Route and Ozark National Forest. I drove out there with a friend and his Hundy. The truck ran great, and cruised at 70+ miles per hour most of the way. For some reason it even held some long extended hills at 80!

It might have performed so well due to the recent wash and detailing I have it. Or the starting fluid that was sprayed in the Idle Air Control Valve to clean it out.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Everyone was eager to set up camp after a long day of driving. We took some county roads in from Appleton, AR and found what appeared to be a reclaimed well site that was nice and leveled off. The roads were extremely dusty and it was obvious it hasn't rained much in the past.
image.jpg

After about 4 hours on the trail, it was nice to get some rain to help calm down the dust. We ended up making a couple wrong turns onto some extremely tight trails that had me cringing for the paint.
image.jpg

Our second night's campsite was down on some rocks in an amazing River valley.
image.jpg

Exiting one trail and hitting the pavement to link up with the next section.
image.jpg

No one ended up with any body damage. We just had to take it slow and carefully and it was easy to avoid.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Our final campsite wasn't anything spectacular. We spent the evening trying to get down a muddy trail that ended up with winching one guy out. We ended up having to make camp outside of a campground.

Last edited:

Kole

Adventurer
I've been following your thread for a while now. helping my dad build up his 95 he picked up last year. We've been going through it and fixing leaks and doing maintenance but we have the new OME suspension coming in this week.

P.S. when are you going to participate in the Ozark Overland Rally? We'd love to have you out. We have quite a few cruisers who compete each event.

Summit Cruisers Jr

I've been following your thread for a while now. helping my dad build up his 95 he picked up last year. We've been going through it and fixing leaks and doing maintenance but we have the new OME suspension coming in this week.

P.S. when are you going to participate in the Ozark Overland Rally? We'd love to have you out. We have quite a few cruisers who compete each event.

The Ozark Overland Rally would be fun, but just due to time I've never really considered going. Maybe some day.

Kole

Adventurer
Well we do it twice a year so keep an eye out for the next signup. We filled up to capacity and a waiting list within a few hours this last signup.

Keep up the good work on the Cruiser.

River19

Observer
I just read through this whole build and boy am I always impressed with the ability some people have to just bang out "not so easy" mods and some great fab work.

I like that the theme I picked up here was that everything had a function, not purely for visual appearance and secondly, if there was an easy road to go down vs. "the right way" you always seemed to choose the more labor intensive "right way". Scratched the center console, most of us would say "****** it" and install it to get it done, you chose to take the extra step and clean it up and paint it again.

Very nice.

Summit Cruisers Jr

I just read through this whole build and boy am I always impressed with the ability some people have to just bang out "not so easy" mods and some great fab work.

I like that the theme I picked up here was that everything had a function, not purely for visual appearance and secondly, if there was an easy road to go down vs. "the right way" you always seemed to choose the more labor intensive "right way". Scratched the center console, most of us would say "****** it" and install it to get it done, you chose to take the extra step and clean it up and paint it again.

Very nice.

Thanks! I definitely learned to do things the right way from my dad. It makes things easier down the road, and I know exactly what has been done. Also, knowing that I never plan to get rid of this Cruiser as it means so much to myself and having been not only my first car, but also the car that took me to preschool, I want to do everything the right way. I would have liked to have done a better suspension setup on it, now that I am somewhat looking at other options, but funds did not allow it at the time. Same goes with lockers. I could have easily done an autolocker, but spending money on one seemed wasteful considering I will eventually buy ARB air lockers and wire them up to a factory Toyota switch when funds allow me to do that. Even though I repainted the console, I am still not entirely pleased with how the respray of the wrinkle black turned out. I am planning on spraying it with Monstaliner when I respray all my fender flares and stuff.

rrclassicbt550

Farmer Jon
Hello,

I am thoroughly impressed with your build and I appreciate the detail you go into. I genuinely enjoyed the many pictures you posted showing each step of the way. I am definitely subscribing to your thread. Keep up the wonderful work!

Have a good one,

Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier