Single side ban, or suck it up and eat the HAM...

mike the welder

Adventurer
This is the study guide I used. http://www.kb6nu.com/study-guides/ It's free to download, but if you pass please send the guy a donation. They are in pdf format. I passed my Technician and my General(yesterday) with these guides and practice test online and a free app on my iPhone. I studied about 5-6 hours per test.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
For speed. Back in 2003 I decided i was going to take the test so I got the question list an read through it 2 or 3 times. Just reading question and answer and I was able to pass but just recognizing the answer lol.

While I had a good mentor to show me the ham ropes it can be done in a pinch.

Im a huge fan of the link mike posted, turns the question into a statement of knowledge

Oldmancrash

Adventurer
awe heck I will chime in.. I have had my ham license for 30+ years. I have had ham shacks folks would kill for and then I get bored with it and sell it off. Then in a couple years get the itch again and start all over again. There are some super suggestions in this thread and I am happy you jumped on board and are going to get your license. As binrat said above, keep it simple. The 2m rig I am putting in my truck is a simple yeasu 2 meter only radio. Small light weight and simple to use. I use to run this radio on my IRLP node 10 years ago and know it works well. But I am also going to get a simple cobra model 40 channel. You never know what the folks around you might be running. It is way more fun to flip to a frequency and listen to all the chatter of who all your running with then to sit and wish you had spent the $100 cause you don't have a CB. Just .02 from an old fart. Welcome to the world of radio operators. When you get bored after your trip check out all the other fun features of ham radio its a pretty cool world

MG34

Have a friend that took the tech test two weeks ago today. His new call sign and info was on QRZ the following Tuesday

mike the welder

Adventurer
me and my buddy took it today. both passed, waiting for our call signs...

Congratulations. Did they let you try the General test? It's just about as easy to pass, just have to remember a few more freq's and some antenna stuff. I missed passing the General when I took my Tech by 2 or 3 questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94