Single side ban, or suck it up and eat the HAM...

R.G.

Dime Trucker
I have a trip planned starting end of Febuary, and need some kind of radio in my truck. I have been told that single side ban is far better than a CB, and needs no licences. As I said I am not far off from leaving so I don't know if I have time to get my HAM licence. Do I pass the test and get a card, or do I have to wait on bureaucracy to mail it out? The trip is all in the US basically from Nevada to Florida.

I will get my HAM in the future, but as it sits I know on a radio you push the button, talk, then release the button. That's the extent of my CB, HAM, 2 way knowledge. I am being told all kinds of stuff on antennas, and such for the SSB but they may as well be speaking Klingon. I did read the FAQ in the stickies, and it was helpful in some of the HAM questions I had.

So, the 2 questions posed; 1 whats the average time from test to card in the hand for HAM? 2 What is single side bans benefit over a CB?

mike the welder

Adventurer
If your talking about CB side band, no you don't need a license but you have to buy a CB radio that does side band. It is not the same as Ham sideband. Amateur radio and CB do not share any frequencies. I know this because it was on the ham test I just took. Yes you do have to Ham license to use any Amateur radio frequency. You can get your Ham license in less than 2 weeks from the test date. I got my card in 5 business days from my test date.

Good luck

wirenut

Adventurer
Single Side Band as you're referring to it likely is CB. Most average CB radios operate as AM. Some of the higher-end CB radios will also allow you to select SSB mode. This mode makes more efficient use of the transmitter's power output and will generally result in greater range. However, it is still CB: same frequency, same radio, no license.

Ham radio tests are administered by Volunteer Examiners (VE's). They send the information on who passed what tests to the FCC and they list the new calls on their website. How fast this happens depends on how efficient the VE team is. When my wife passed her test last year on a Saturday her call was posted on the website on Monday. I was impressed. When I passed my test 22 years ago I had to wait for the license in the mail, it took several weeks. A slower VE team may end up taking longer to process the results of the test session.
Who exactly will you be talking too and what radios do they have? If they're on Ham frequencies then you can't communicate with them on your CB. If they're on CB you can't communicate with them on a Ham radio. If they're using GMRS or FRS you would need to use the same. If you will be riding solo in the middle of nowhere and intend to use the radio to summon help in an emergency, well, good luck. Ham would probably have the best results if you're on a local repeater.

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
You probably are aware, but it's just a multiple choice test for the ham license. Pretty sure there are free online things where you can take a sample test. So you can use that to figure out how much, if any, you need to study for the test. As previous fellows have stated, some groups that do the tests are quick with getting the info to the FCC, so the turn around could be just a couple of days. I believe that once the FCC issues your call on the website, you are licensed and can use ham radio.

As far as SSB vs regular cb goes, I've used it, and I don't think it buys you much for general mobile use. Most around here don't use it, and it only provides for greater distance mobile under textbook good conditions with experienced operators. Others may disagree, that's just my experience.

Ham radio mobile *usually and mostly* means 2-meter FM, which is VHF, roughly 145-148 MHz (I can never remember where 2m SSB stops and 2m FM starts, whithout looking at a chart). A single band radio, brand new, name brand, is around $150 or so, probably not much more than a SSB CB rig, and far more capable. Search on 2m repeaters for more info. There are a million different things to do on ham bands, but 2m FM is a good start for practical mobile communication.

troyboy162

Adventurer
I think you'd be lucky to run into one other truck with a SSB capable CB and when you do you'd have to teach them how to use it. I know thats a grim outlook but its really like that for 4x4. I'd guess truckers and base stations may be more into SSB, but if the goal is range and talk to more people then HAM is your best bet. Although I dont think its a great idea to be without at least a cheap CB yet due to the slow adoption of ham by 4x4 guys. My group has become 100% ham outfitted since the baofeng came out, but there are lots of 4x4 guys out there still with only CB

Start to finish I would think you could have a call sign sent to you in the mail with in two weeks. Ham cram with the online tests.

R.G.

Dime Trucker
Ok HAM it is. So I looked at the arrl site but I cant find where to take the test, it didn't list one anywhere around here, or in Iowa. Is there an online test, or do I have to find someone to give me the test in person?

mm58

Observer
You take the test in person. Many ham clubs have volunteer examiners and usually hold exam sessions once a month or so. It shouldn't be hard to find a test site in your area. Google may be your best bet.

R.G.

Dime Trucker
I am near Decorah IA right now. I found the tests last night. One I can take next weekend, and one by my brothers place in Wisconsin.

Last edited:

binrat

Observer
I am near Decorah IA right now. I found the tests last night. One I can take next weekend, and one by my brothers place in Wisconsin.
Well stop posting and get studying...Sorry just couldn't resist. Good luck with the studying and the test.
When you get to the buying end of things, remember keep it simple and sturdy for your first set-up.

R.G.

Dime Trucker
Well stop posting and get studying...Sorry just couldn't resist. Good luck with the studying and the test.
When you get to the buying end of things, remember keep it simple and sturdy for your first set-up.

Yes sir:coffee: I have been looking at a site called ham study. So far I am doing ok.

Texan1983

Adventurer
Ok HAM it is. So I looked at the arrl site but I cant find where to take the test, it didn't list one anywhere around here, or in Iowa. Is there an online test, or do I have to find someone to give me the test in person?

Boone iowa febuary 14 is where ill be taking the test

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior