1986 Bronco 2 Newbie Build

Stephen4x4

My first project is to do an axle swap on the truck and then do paint. Does anybody know a good quality lift second hand?

HAFICON

Adventurer
Looks like this will be something fun to watch. I had one back in the day bought it cheap cause it had a blown head gasket sold it cheap because it still did not run *L* Good luck with the build hope to see it move along well for ya.

justcuz

Explorer
You know the Overland Journal publishers and shop is just around the corner from Embry Riddle right? Make sure your B2 is reliable. There are tons of places to go four wheeling in the Prescott area. The guys at the OJ can clue you in.

Stephen4x4

Where is that at? Thank you for the information! I apologize for not posting often as Engineering kind of consumes my life.

profro

Observer
Overlanding? Save the money from an axle swap and use it on fuel to travel. I saw one of those of those things, in bare stock form, tackle everything a FZJ80 and FJ60 did on a moderate day of wheeling in Windrock park. If you want to rock crawl then go for the axle swap. But if you just want to explore and have fun, use the money on fuel and food while you are traveling.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
The Bronco 2 is an excellent vehicle in stock form. The only mode I'd recommend is a bumper mounted spare carrier. The stock ones just seem too flimsy to me. Take it for some test runs off road before you start trying to improve it. If you're a tinkerer like me, start with the interior and motor. Don't feel like just because its an off roading vehicle, that you can't have creature comforts. I've found its little things that really improve a ride. Extra power outlets for modern gadgets for example. Maybe a converter. Some sort of communications setup would be good too. Definitely look into getting some good recovery points added. Some kind of loop or hook mounted to the frame is ideal so when you get stuck, you have someplace for a tow rig to pull you out. Or for you to pull someone else out.

Since it seems like you're looking to save money, get familiar with your local junkyards and Pull-a-part yards. They'll save you a bundle over buying brand new parts. You may even stumble onto some aftermarket parts that you've been needing, or just some hard to find ones, like those rear windows. I can imagine those would be expensive to replace. I know I paid $25 for a rear window that would cost over $200 remanufactured on my full size bronco when I found it at the junkyard.

justcuz

Explorer
Head toward the airport north of school. At the signal just before entering the airport turn right. Go east to the first round a bout.You'll recognize it because on the left is an old gas station/garage with a couple old Ford 4x4 pickups. At the first street in the round a bout turn right, go one block and turn right again. Toward the end of the block on your right you will see a bunch of 4x4's. You are there.
Look up Overland Journals offices to get a map. These guys will clue you in on the best mods to start with.
For a true Overlander vehicle you don't really need much. Tire sized maybe 2 sizes over stock, traction devices on at least one axle, preferably both. A mild lift, no more than a couple inches and for the long term, if you keep it a while upgrade the axles. Do the Dana 35 up front, you can add 44 parts for more strength and an Explorer 31 spline disc brake rear axle.
Lots of places to go out there. Williamson Valley Rd. Turns to dirt, 40 miles later you come to Route 66 and Seligman. You can then jump on I40 and head back east to 89 and south back into town. 89 and the airport turn right back to school,and your home.
Look on Petersons 4 wheel,drive website. Jay Kopycinski built a Bronco II on the cheap a couple years back, it should be in their archives. It was exactly the same color combo as yours! You could probably safely run 30/9.50x15 tires on your stock wheels without much if any trimming.
Oh and Engineering should consume your life! Make your B2 reliable, keep your modifications reasonable, focus on school, because after you graduate and get a good paying job, you can buy or build anything you want. I see lots of young people get sidetracked by building off roaders here in Southern California that consume too much of their time and money, causing them troubles in school. Your education is your best investment you'll ever make, because it will pay you back in the long run.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles