Boom. The 2017 Ford Raptor has landed.

Amphibeast

Adventurer
2017….. will it have a dock for the iPhone34s++? Not a fan of the understated "FORD" logos…lol, you can barely tell who makes it!

Jbab1977

Slush-o-matic will kill any potential this powertrain has. Definitely not impressed with the current f150 ecoboost power output in a fullsize.

What fullsize has power output that is impressive? Or how much power do you think it sould have?

HuskerTrev

Observer
I think what everyone is missing here is that Ford is the only company that has even attempted to create something with the off road crowd in mind. Dodge doesn't, GM doesn't (I am the body shop manager at a GMC delaership) Toyota slaps a TRD sticker on everything from a Camry on up. Instead of getting into an argument about the semantics of the truck, I think a kudos needs to go out to Ford for at least trying to put something out there for the off road crowd. Secondly, I am pretty sure that the vast majority of people on expo portal don't, won't or can't throw down $60000 for one of these trucks to use as their build. To the guys out there that are dogging on it, buy one and give us an in depth review of what it really is like, until then quit flaming about it.

Rant over.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I think what everyone is missing here is that Ford is the only company that has even attempted to create something with the off road crowd in mind. Dodge doesn't, GM doesn't (I am the body shop manager at a GMC delaership) Toyota slaps a TRD sticker on everything from a Camry on up. Instead of getting into an argument about the semantics of the truck, I think a kudos needs to go out to Ford for at least trying to put something out there for the off road crowd. Secondly, I am pretty sure that the vast majority of people on expo portal don't, won't or can't throw down $60000 for one of these trucks to use as their build. To the guys out there that are dogging on it, buy one and give us an in depth review of what it really is like, until then quit flaming about it.

Well said. I do work at a Ford dealership and I have found that most people that are not impressed by the Raptor have not spent much time off roading one. It was funny, In the offroad race community the Raptor got pretty beat up in the beginning, mostly by people that this product cut into there business, now go see how many are at the crossroads cafe during the Parker 425 .

I have beat the crap out of this truck, even pre ran with it, no doubt it is awesome.

Timgco

Adventurer

Well said. I do work at a Ford dealership and I have found that most people that are not impressed by the Raptor have not spent much time off roading one. It was funny, In the offroad race community the Raptor got pretty beat up in the beginning, mostly by people that this product cut into there business, now go see how many are at the crossroads cafe during the Parker 425 .

I have beat the crap out of this truck, even pre ran with it, no doubt it is awesome.

I had two that got to see offroad use and they did great. Ran a handful of trails in Moab as well. Plenty of Power!! Bottom line, there are two kinds of people in this thread. Raptor fans and Raptor haters. lol. Just like any production platform, they all get upgraded for those of us that use these trucks harder than most. I can appreciate all the comments in this thread, but many are judging a vehicle they haven't even driven yet.

I found the Raptor had plenty of power. I have also gone up against a tuned Ecoboost on 35's and that one was faster than my tuned 6.2L. The new motor looks like it will be beast, however without verified specs and posted testing, we can only assume. Time will tell once the actual release dates hit. As long as they price these trucks comp to the current Raptor, I think it will sell fast as the current model.

Even if you dislike FORD, you have to respect they are even building trucks like this. As long as they do, other manufactures (aka the brand you prefer) HAVE to look at what FORD is doing and look into a competing vehicle.

Bring on the new Raptor. Now GM, Ford, and Toyota need to step up.

r3run33

Adventurer
hey but did I hear correctly not till fall for a 2016 model???? so maybe october for actual real world release??? thats a long time

4x4junkie

Explorer
I think what everyone is missing here is that Ford is the only company that has even attempted to create something with the off road crowd in mind.
Yeah, don't forget Jeep too.
Sure you could say they're in a different segment of the offroad scene (a much larger segment I might add too).

Well said. I do work at a Ford dealership and I have found that most people that are not impressed by the Raptor have not spent much time off roading one.

There's no need for me to drive one to not be impressed by it...

The truck is too big for my needs (too wide, too long). This is a quality I can assess quite well without having to be behind the wheel of it.

What would impress me is something reminiscent of the old 1st-gen Bronco. Two solid axles (2nd-gen D44 & 8.8" or 9.75"), narrow track width, removable top, NA V6 & NA V8 engine options (maybe include the Ecoboost too for those that actually want one), 2 or 4 doors (4 just to be competitive), manual or automatic transmission option (at least for the NA engines).
As intense as Jeep Wrangler sales are, I find it curious why Ford continues to be absent from this part of the scene. I know of so many people that would jump ship in a heartbeat from Jeep if they could... But alas, Jeep is the sole contender in the smaller 4x4 segment.

TwinStick

Explorer
Uhhh... Dodge Power Wagon.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Yup, this !^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dodge Power Wagon came out in late 2004 as a 2005 model year. Lets see: Specs on mine: 4.56 gears, 2.72 Lo range, G-56 w/6.28 first gear, = 78:1 crawl ratio (lower than a Rubicon w/manual & Rocktrac 4:1 t-case), 33" tires on 1 piece forged Alcoa rims (w/lips machined on the inside to prevent roll off at low pressure/speed), full skid plates, Warn 12k winch w/HD mount (actually the exact same spec as the M15k), elec locking rear & front axles, elec dis connecting sway bar (for awesome articulation stock), recalibration of the gas pedal sensitivity in lo range, Bilstein shocks, manual shift t-case. All for $6200.

Can't really compare the 2. One is a high speed desert type truck, who's weight capacity is maxed out with 4 big guys in the cab & nothing in the bed, or being towed.

The other is on a 3/4 ton chassis (with softer, flexier suspension). Can tow 10,500 lbs (without being perfectly balanced with all the weight over the trailers axles.)

The raptor has 35" tires

One is certainly sport oriented but can do some light duty work.

The other is actually a jack-of-all-trades work truck. I had 3920 lbs of stone in my bed just before winter. I tow a 10,500 lb Keystone Tailgator toyhauler. That trailer is anything BUT well balanced. Pulls GREAT when fully loaded in the rear. Not so much when it's not. Yes, i did have to put Hellwig Load Pro 35's helper springs on, to pull my camper safely. But we have an actual leaf pack to bolt it to. Raptor has like 2 or 3 leafs.

The best thing is to really decide what you need vs what you want. My rear leaf helper springs were only $380 to my door. Easy peasy fix for my particular needs. Maybe not for others.

What was the first year of the Raptor ?

MoRogers

Observer
This truck is not going to be for everybody, plain and simple. debating about it is pointless. The fact of the matter is when this 2nd Gen becomes available, Ford will sell a ******** load of them regardless because the demand is already there. Current Raptor owners will upgrade when they see they can probably double there range with the eco, and some Ecoboost owners will move over when they can keep the motor they like and get a "True" off-road package.

People who love jeeps or power wagons are going to buy jeeps and power wagons. I'm sure we can all find hundreds of post about problems and issues with jeeps over the years that could make your eyes bleed, but jeeps still sell like hot cakes. Raptors will too, especially on limited supply.

Say what you want about the Ecoboost motor, but it is powerful given it's displacement, and I personally prefer it over anything else offered today. But that's my personal preference and you couldn't sway me otherwise.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I thought they were discontinuing the RAPTOR and re-making the BRONCO--no ?

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

FordGuy1

Adventurer
hey but did I hear correctly not till fall for a 2016 model???? so maybe october for actual real world release??? thats a long time

This is true its a 2017 and we will see it late 2016. I heard Ford had an issue with the manufacturing of the precision cast A-arms.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
:sombrero: I thought they were discontinuing the RAPTOR and re-making the BRONCO--no ?

We were told that the Bronco will be made, Ford won't stop making the Raptor until they have too. Its the most profitable vehicle they make.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: WOW, thanx FordGuy-

I'm looking forward to the new Bronco, wonder what the price tag will be--

Wait and see !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior